Coopers Community

Hi fellow froth blowers

PeterS53

I am getting back into the brewing scene and using kit form. I am worried about the prime sugar 1kg content of the kit which I think I used years ago. Is it to much sugar, I dont use any other additive to the brew.

Do you mean adding 1kg sugar to the fermenter with the kit? Sure.. if you want it to taste like cider. I'd ditch the sugar and go to your local brew shop and buy a kg of light dry malt and use that in its place. It's exactly the same process to mix that in with the kit as using sugar, and you will get a much nicer beer. [cool]

Welcome to the forum Peter!

I agree with Kelsey on this one. If you don't have a local home brew shop then you could aways get the light dry malt where you get the Coopers kits eg. Big W. Coopers sell LDM in 500g boxes.

Thank you for the welcome and the tips and tricks. I would use the light dry malt but this makes it so much more expensive for me. At the moment my palate is not as mature as yours and can not really taste the difference (having tried a dextrose once before ) from what I remember. What I will do one day is brew the same beer in two different ways one being the sugar only and the other light dry malt and will compare.

Hi Peter, i am not sure what you are brewing, but consider adding BE1 or BE2 instead of straight dex or LDM. The cost is bugger all. My local big dub sells BE1 for $4.70 or BE2 for $5.50. They are knocked by a few forum members, but do a good job.

Startin with this will give you a standard to go by and you can experiment as taste, experience and budget allows. You can even throw a few hops in as you gain confidence

I'm one of the forum members that Nick alluded who doesn't like brew enhancers....I really don't like maltodextrin [pinched]

But if it suits your needs go for it as they are cheap and easy to source. I'd be more inclined to use BE2 due to it's malt content.

The brew enhancer ingredients are as follows:

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

If you do develop a taste for LDM it doesn't have to be overly expensive. I order mine from Craftbrewer in Brisbane and the price is not too steep.

I'm one of the forum members that Nick alluded who doesn't like brew enhancers....I really don't like maltodextrin

But if it suits your needs go for it as they are cheap and easy to source. I'd be more inclined to use BE2 due to it's malt content.

I think I am lumped in the same category as Muddy and I agree that BE2 would be my preference.

Although I may not be the biggest BE fan, it is still better than a kilo of sugar.

Thank you for the welcome and the tips and tricks. I would use the light dry malt but this makes it so much more expensive for me. At the moment my palate is not as mature as yours and can not really taste the difference (having tried a dextrose once before ) from what I remember. What I will do one day is brew the same beer in two different ways one being the sugar only and the other light dry malt and will compare.

i made an old favourite not long ago. it was os series coopers draught i used 800gm dextrose...another member told me it would maybe be a little dry...i thought it will be ok...i now know what dry means...didnt like it much...drinkable but not likeable at all. ldm for me from now on or BE2 if i cant get to LHBS

Archived