Coopers Community

So how many days ?

Polarian

ok so i have learnt ALOT from these forums ! one thing i dont understand is how many days brewing ?

So i use the newest Coopers home brew kit and the basic instructions say 6 days , but alot of people on this forum brew for longer even up to 2 weeks.

I mostly brew Draught , Lager and Stout

I used to used BE 1 and Be 2 but have since learned that is a waste and i will we changeing my mix to a 1.5kg mix of dextrose and malt

anyways what do you guys reckon about brewing days ? i try to keep the mix between 20 to 30 when brewing

but yeah what is everyones advice on how many days ?

It depends on a few factors:

- How quickly it ferments

- How quickly do you drink your beer and need them in bottles

- Do you need the FV for another beer

- Are you planning on crash chilling

I leave mine in the FV for 2 weeks because it allows me to ferment, give it a few days to clean up and then crash chill. I also do my brewing work on weekends so once I get past one week it automatically gets another week.

If you aren't cold crashing and not concerned with really clear beer then once you hit FG you can give it a few extra days to clean up and then bottle. Based on your temps you will probably find it is finished fermenting in 3-4 days.

But even if you aren't crash chilling, some extra time in the FV will allow more yeast to drop out of suspension and clear your beer a little more.

I personally would recommend 2 weeks in the FV but it depends on your own circumstances.

one thing i dont understand is how many days

All the advice given regarding not rushing is great. It is not recommended to just stick to timetables and not use your hydrometer to confirm that fermentation is indeed complete.

i try to keep the mix between 20 to 30 when brewing

That is too wide a range and 30 is too high. Some great threads here on how to control temperature during fermentation which is one of the most important things you can do to produce better more consistent beer quality.

In the hints section on the DIY Beer Instructional Video (DVD-ROM), we say to try and ferment at the lower end of the suggested temperature range (21C-27C).[biggrin]

We don't say to bottle at 6 days [rightful] In the "Testing" part of the video - it advises to check the SG at day 6 and each day after that until the SG is table over at least two days. Then the brew is ok to bottle.

All great advice, listen to them.

However, if you want figure... 14.

My beers are usually on for 2 weeks, then bottled.

This is usually fine for the ferment and cleanup.

However, you obviously need to make sure that it has finished fermenting, just like the others say.

Another method a few friends of mine use is 1,2,3.

1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle(min).

I don't have the patience for that.

I always tend to bottle mine as soon as they have reached FG (the finish).Ave 7-10 days, never had a bomb and majority of sediment in the bottle is like a thin paint film. Guess I am just paranoid about secondary infection..Spoke to a brewer today that has just bottled after 3 monthsin FV!![pinched] He often goes a month or two, no real methodoligy, he's just slack..Not a practice I would condone.!

Welcome aboard P, your in good company.

Soon the boys will have you hopping up your tasty brews. They [love] it..

You won't get an infection from leaving it in the FV 2 or 3 weeks unless your cleaning and sanitation practices aren't up to scratch, or you keep opening the lid and giving nasties the chance to get into it. Even a month would be fine. Remember, a lager yeast will take 2-3 weeks to ferment properly. I wouldn't be going 3 months in primary though, I don't have the patience for that. [lol]

My next (ale) brew I'm planning on leaving for 3 weeks before bottling. Two weeks at 18C (1 week ferment, 1 week yeast cleanup), then a week at the lowest the fridge will go for crash chilling, then bottle. Will be interested to see how it turns out. There is another reason too.. I don't need to save up as many empties before I can put the brew in the FV this way. [innocent] [lol]

Archived