Coopers Community

Expected FG of 2 can stout

ArthurW2

Hey all im Arthur ive just put my 3rd brew down using the ney DIY kit I got for xmas. without thinking and being in a rush i made a 2 can stout which i read about somewhere here on the forum about a month ago and didnt take a reading before pitching yeast its now day 6. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a estimation of OG and FG?

23 and half litres

1 can os stout

1 can os dark ale

1 kg dextrose

Both kit yeast sprinkled on surface was a bit of uneven sprinkle too [crying] hope it doesnt matter after done it read about the RIS on how to brew page and it suggested rehydrating yeast sounds scary and easy to mess up my temp control is terrible.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Thanks AdamH appreciate it i havent taken a reading at all yet i thought if we wait 7 days to test a normal brew like my last basic pale ale BE2 i would wait 10 days to start readings on this. I think it very much alive still smells like pure alcohol i cant put my head in there too far blows my head off [devil]

i cant put my head in there too far blows my head off [devil]

Welcome Arthur

What are you putting your head in the FV for? That is the sort of thing Ned would have done.

is coopers having trouble here or is the site run overseas?

As to whether it is overseas depends of course on where you are. I thought it was Beer O'Clock time.

Yes I wonder where the server is these day with the Cloud and all. Telstra has told me my mail is now being stored on some Yankee computer. I hope the computer is down at Regency Park SA but who knows what goes on in the cyberspace of brewing.

Coopers Brewery is located in Regency Park, South Australia but I don't know where the database for the website/forum is physically located - maybe Sydney or Melbourne??

This post should help with sorting the time zone - go to "edit profile" and at the bottom of the page you'll find a timezone thingy. [biggrin]

I think it very much alive still smells like pure alcohol i cant put my head in there too far blows my head off [devil]

How warm are you fermenting at mate? If you can already smell strong booze and you're brewing at higher temps (26+) might wanna watch out for fusel alcohol.

Agreed, one should not put ones head in the FV. [lol]

Thanks for all the replies i appreciate it didnt bother looking again last night didnt think anyone else would reply to a noobie who sticks their head in the brew more than once [lol] I just had to make sure i wasnt imagining anything.

I took the advice of some stuff i read on here about water buckets and ice bottles for temperature control. Mine is currently in an old metal laundry sink despite my wife saying i couldnt use it [lol] Although its hard to maintain here in ACT regardless hot and thunderstorms today 27 and coolish the next [devil] i have managed to keep temp between 22 and 26 at the most of the time. It was saying 16 once so pulled it out and went to 24 in a few minutes how reliable is the sticker if that can happen? I hope thats not the strong smell i keep getting im not sure what fusel alcohol is but im guessing if i am smelling it its not good.

My other brews were only standard ones with only a kg of fermentable be2 maby i should have waited longer to try something different.

EDIT: i fixed the time as you said thanks PB2

Thanks for all the replies

No probs Art.

If you're keeping your temps below 26C I doubt you'll have problems with fusels. Fusel alcohols are produced when your beer is allowed to ferment at high temps (28-30+). Typical side effects include a strong "solvent" like or "hot" alcohol flavour/aroma. I only had it once but man-o-man, was unpleasant, like someone had dropped a shot of turps in my pint[sick]! I've only had it happen on a higher gravity beer (a 1.060 IPA [love]).

However, I didn't mean to frighten you mate, and I should point out I've never brewed a toucan before, so have no idea how they smell. You may just have a keen nose on you. If that's the case, I'm jealous. [pinched]

My other brews were only standard ones with only a kg of fermentable be2 maby i should have waited longer to try something different.

A common feeling for new brewers, I myself brewed K&K for nearly a decade before discovering this forum and by extension, hops, grains, all-malt, partials, and then on to all-grain.

NEVER be afraid to try new things with your brewing, even if you're new to it. I wanted to kick my own arse REAL hard the first time I tried one of my brews with hops and grain (a Coopers APA with Nelson Sauvin Hops & Caramalt grain). "Why did I not do this from the start!!!??" [crying]

Go at it mate. Anything you read about, you can do, right now. [happy] We'll all help you through it. Best advice I can give you first up is to get some decent temp control happening. Crappy old fridge, STC-1000, bits from Jaycar. In 45C Adelaide weather I can take comfort in the fact that my beer is sitting on 20C all the time.

Enough rambling? Thought so! [lol]

EDIT: Think I remember PB2 saying that the temp strips can be out by as much as +/-2C [unsure]

Thanks Phil yeah you could say that i have a good smell and hearing as well must make up for my absolute terrible eye sight.

Sounds good idea for the fridge i might have a look at the paper tomorrow and during the week. So yours is always on 20? does that mean my yeast could be unhappy going up and down between 20 and 26 all the time? I might just take a gravity reading tomorrow which will be day 8 and see how close it is to 1011 like u said it should be. I wont get a chance to bottle until next weekend though BBQ tomorrow and working 12 hr days all week

Thanks for the advice

Yes ill definatly be posting back as i take readings and bottle as well as the taste test. From what i have read from coopers how to brew and the thread i found on this recepie. High gravity brews need longer in bottle before first sample 3 months thats why i brewed it now for winter. I think i might be tempted to try at least a few before then. Now all i have to do is brew some other batches so can stockpile. Strange how i mainly drink comercial lagers like james boag and tooheys new [innocent]

Hey all im Arthur ive just put my 3rd brew down using the ney DIY kit I got for xmas. without thinking and being in a rush i made a 2 can stout which i read about somewhere here on the forum about a month ago and didnt take a reading before pitching yeast its now day 6. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a estimation of OG and FG?

23 and half litres

1 can os stout

1 can os dark ale

1 kg dextrose

Both kit yeast sprinkled on surface was a bit of uneven sprinkle too [crying] hope it doesnt matter after done it read about the RIS on how to brew page and it suggested rehydrating yeast sounds scary and easy to mess up my temp control is terrible.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

try this just put the ingredients in and you will get the estimated OG,FG and ABV

2 cans plus 1 kg of dex made to 23 ltrs give you 7.8% inc priming sugar

[lol]

According to my records' date=' when I made the toucan stout (same recipe), my OG was 1062, FG 1011, which worked out at 7.1% ABV in the bottle. This was a 23 litre batch.[/quote']

i just punched numbers in and thats what you get. Brewcraft is generally ballpark and good for an indication when playing with ingredients. It surmises that all 1.7kg are the same, but i reckon there must be some differences??....hey its a quieter night than last saturday Kelse

Yeah, I used to use it when I was first starting out. Then I got IanH's spreadsheet. I also figured out the percentage to add on for bottle carbonation depending on how many CO2 volumes you go for. It's not just a flat 0.5%. Anyway getting off topic a bit[lol] I really don't know, there probably are some differences because they'd all have different malt makeups and might have spec grains in them that won't ferment as such and thus affect the FG. It wouldn't affect the OG really though. And yeah it is a lot quieter.. I'm about to head to bed anyway, I have work tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey kelsey and nick thanks for replies sorry have been reading but not posting cant from my phone and a shift worker [devil]

I had my first sample today 20 days in bottle OMFG i cant wait until 3 or 4 months if its this good now blew my head off as well [happy]

Just finished putting down draught tin and 1kg of light dry malt to 23 litres will dry hop with 40 grams Moketa on day 5 and save other 40 for the slam recepie using IPA Tin. Really liking this hobby thanks all for guidence.

Archived