Coopers Community

Fruit Salad Ale

Jay

Hi all,

I'm just about to start a Fruit Salad Ale, I've got all the ingredients but just slightly unsure whether I still add brew Enhancer 2? It seems that the Light Dry Malt takes the place of this? This was from the Coopers website. What confuses me is the 'beer kit' is that just the tin (Pale Ale) or plus Brew Enhancer 2?

By the way, I'm well into this brewing lark, wife bought me a kit for xmas, have 2 going already. Marvellous. Thanks in advance jay

Ingredients

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit

1kg Light Dry Malt (2 x 500g)

25g Cascade hop pellets

25g Amarillo hop pellets

Use Coopers commercial yeast culture or kit yeast

Welcome to the forum Jay!

The term 'beer kit' is just the tin; a pale ale tin in this case. So no need to add the brew enhancer, as you guessed the dry malt takes its place.

The ingredients will be the 'tin/kit' and the light dry malt.

The Fruit Salad Ale is a nice drop [love]

I have made a few different versions of it and the hop combo is still one I go back to.

Good luck with it mate.

im thinking when i get home its my next one..... i think i can squeeze one more brew in i dont have alot of time to muck round so i thought (after all my unreal beers ive been doing with Yob ill do a sorta plain one to see the difference...might do a APA brew enhancer2....and thats it...if anything maybe a rush to the LHBS and get some cascade hops...but thought maybe the no hops idea might help me to become even more addicted to this hops caper...thanks YOB....[crying] [biggrin] [lol] [bandit]

Thanks for the tip Nick.

Was hoping to create something that was similar to a great pale ale I was drinking over xmas in Tazzie. They were brewing it at the Iron House Brewery, where I was staying for a few days. Now I'm not a massive piss-head (well a tiny bit) but their lovely cold fresh pale ale went down beautifully at 10am most days ;)

Jas' date=' if you want a good mid strength guzzler, try the APA with 500gm of LDM and nothing else.[/quote']

consider that one definitley done tomorrow.....will be an interesting comparison

im noe realising why APA is held in such high esteem

Was my go to kit beer Ned before I went to the dark side..

My base beer for the APA was

1.7kg CPA

1kg DME

.25kg WME

_____________ <<< Minimum Line most brews

200g Crystal 80

150g Carapils

_____________ <<< Most if not all Brews

+ Dry hop of choice, minimum 1g/L of any 'C' American Hop or N/S or Galaxy Hops

or (and mostly) a combination of the above [ninja]

Was my go to kit beer Ned before I went to the dark side..

My base beer for the APA was

1.7kg CPA

1kg DME

.25kg WME

_____________ <<< Minimum Line most brews

200g Crystal 80

150g Carapils

_____________ <<< Most if not all Brews

+ Dry hop of choice, minimum 1g/L of any 'C' American Hop or N/S or Galaxy Hops

or (and mostly) a combination of the above [ninja]

i hate you lolol

I offer the previous post as a testiment to what I used to do, no twhat I do now... I take no responsibility for any fantastic brews made with varying percentages of additions of the above STD recipe base..

what hops you put in this can sooooo change the outcome of the result..

(forgot to add never more that 300g DEX addition to the above)

I offer the previous post as a testiment to what I used to do, no twhat I do now... I take no responsibility for any fantastic brews made with varying percentages of additions of the above STD recipe base..

you are an extremely evil minded person[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

what hops you put in this can sooooo change the outcome of the result..

(forgot to add never more that 300g DEX addition to the above)

I put down a FSA tonight as per the recipe, also steeped 250g Cara Munich for 15min prior to bringing to boil & then steeped Cascade & Amarillo hops for 30min.

The smell was glorious[biggrin] [love]

Fingers crossed the combination will be a match made in heaven.[innocent]

It sounds good mate. I'm sure it will taste as good as it smells.

I put down a FSA tonight as per the recipe, also steeped 250g Cara Munich for 15min prior to bringing to boil & then steeped Cascade & Amarillo hops for 30min.

The smell was glorious[biggrin] [love]

Fingers crossed the combination will be a match made in heaven.[innocent]

It sounds good mate. I'm sure it will taste as good as it smells.

Thanks Hairy, It's always good to get validation from you guys..

I snuck a small swill from the tube this morning...OMG...Reminded me of the first time I shoved half a packet of Juicy Fruit chewing gum into my mouth as a kid W[happy]W.

So glad I keep notes on all my combinations so I can repeat this one, and maybe even try Chad's NS addition.

Thanks Guys your all a great bunch, I've learn't so much from all(Most) of you. Now I can help some mates turn their good beer into "Bloody Great Beer".[biggrin]

Cheers AdamN

Agreed... Cascade' date=' Amarrilo are nice but an addition of Nelson Sauvin makes magic together. I like to dry hop these three 10g a piece for ten days.[cool']

Hi there...this sounds interesting. How do you dry hop for 10 days? cheers j

Agreed... Cascade' date=' Amarrilo are nice but an addition of Nelson Sauvin makes magic together. I like to dry hop these three 10g a piece for ten days.[cool']

Hi there...this sounds interesting. How do you dry hop for 10 days? cheers j

Hi Jason,

When I dry hop I just chuck them in loose once the krausen dies back at around day 4-5. I let them sit there for the rest of the primary ferment time which is usually 10 days or so.

Oh blimey. Acronym overload.... excuse my lack of knowledge here, but what is DEM DME (Dry Malt Extract I think?) and WME?

thanks for all the tips by the way.

cheers Jay

DME - Dry Malt Extract

WME - Wheat Malt Extract

DME can be different 'colours' too eg. light, amber & dark. So you will find these are sometimes built into the acronym.

LDM - Light Dry Malt

And there are plenty more acronyms where those ones came from [biggrin]

Here is a previous thread containing the description of acronyms:

Acronyms

What's the benefit of dry hopping like this as opposed to steeping all 3 at the start? cheers j

Hi Jason

It's thought that some of the aroma/flavour oils are driven off at the start of fermentation when it is at it's most volcanic (producing lots of CO2) so dry hopping after a few days gets more aroma into the beer.

Here's the info in "How to Brew" by JP.

Archived