Coopers Community

New to the Order and brewing

Khellendros13

Hi guys,

A few years ago I bought the original Coopers Micro Brew Kit and made my friends suffer through my first brew. I only made 1 attempt and was put off.

Before Christmas last year I decided I would give it another shot and do it properly (as much as one can without an easy way to ferment at exact temps). I bought the new kit with the intention of doing 2 brews at a time to kick things off.

I put down a Coopers Ginger Beer and the Lager that comes with the kit. I had some reservations about this Lager can.

So the beers have been bottled about 3 weeks now after 2 weeks fermenting (the advice I read here to let the brew sit for another week after reaching FG is a good tip).

The Lager isn't too bad, no fruitiness from my 22-23c ferment temp. Still needs a few more weeks to finish carbonating though I think.

The Ginger Beer is a shocker though, and that is all down to the Sucralose. I can't stand artificial sweeteners, and I noticed the new Ginger Beer cans have a sweetener removed but still have sucralose. That is all I can taste and if that was gone along with the excessive sweetness, I could drink it without wanting to pour it all down the drain. More time in the bottle might help but I doubt it.

Put down a Mexican Cerveza and Vanilla Cream Ale yesterday, pitched yeast just under 27c and trying my best to keep them around 21c.

Wet towels over them and in tubs with water around the bottom of each FV, swapping in frozen PET bottles, getting the gf to check temps while I'm at work etc seems to be stable at 21c-23c.

Well that's my short brewing history!

Aaron

Welcome to the forum Aaron!

Temp control is the biggest and hardest part of brewing unless you have a brew fridge I have taken a break from brewing during the warmer months even though my stockpile is severely depleted after xmas and new years.

I haven't brewed the ginger beer yet myself so can't say on that one.

Patience is the key even though some times i sneak in a sample after a week in the bottle [innocent]

Anyhow soon you will make great beer and you will refuse store bought beer like myself unless it is craft beer.

Cheers Wayne

Welcome to the forum Aaron!

Stick with it this time around, & stick with the guys & gals here on the Coopers forum.

With a little bit of patience & some guidance by members of this forum, you'll be making great beer in no time. [biggrin]

Good luck & good brewing.

Anthony.

Thanks guys :)

Cracked 2 bottles tonight but the second is a bit flatter and perhaps only half the carbonation of the first I opened. I guess that's why 2 weeks min. is needed to carbonate? So all bottles finish carbonating?

Checked the 2 brews fermenting, Mexican Cerveza is at 19.8c and the Vanilla Cream Ale is 21.5c. Hoping I can stave off the heat!

If you don't like the ginger beer kit then you could try making it from scratch. There are some recipes on here somewhere (from Muddy perhaps??) or you should find heaps on the net if you google it.

Also, let me know how the Vanilla Cream Ale turns out.

If you don't like the ginger beer kit then you could try making it from scratch. There are some recipes on here somewhere (from Muddy perhaps??) or you should find heaps on the net if you google it.

Also, let me know how the Vanilla Cream Ale turns out.

I saw a lot of recipes for Ginger Beer in my research but was not confident in a completely scratch approach. Maybe something using extracts and fresh spices and ginger that just need a boil would be in my league.

I will definitely post about the VCA as there doesn't seem to be much on here or other forums. Hoping 21-23c works ok for it, in my mind that would compliment the sweetness and vanilla better than a dry 18c ferment.

You seem to have the same taste as me for the ginger beer.

I also think it is too fakey sweety and do not like it.

Age will do little to improve it.

Making it from scratch is simple and quick. I posted a recipe a few weeks ago, I'll see if I can find it later on.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Aaron,

Welcome. This is my GB recipe. It's tried & true. Sweet & spicy.

Ginger Beer

1.7 Mex. Cervesa

500g DME

550g LME

500g Honey

500g Fresh ginger root (pounded & boiled for 20mins)

25L water

2 Lemons(halved & squeezed, boiled for 20mins)

8g Chinook (20mins)

22g Cascade (20mins)

200g Dex (bulk prime)

7g Cooper's ale yeast

OG 1.042 FG 1.008

Method: Bring 10L water to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the extract. Bring it back to a boil and start the timer. This wort can be boiled for as much as an hour. At the 20mins mark left in the boil add the pounded ginger, the 2 lemons rind and all, and the hops. At the end of the boil add the honey and and Mex cervesa can. Stir it well making sure everything is mixed then clap the lid on and chill the kettle down in an ice bath for 20-30mins. Strain the wort while adding to the FV then top up to 25L. Sprinkle the yeast dry. Voila!

If there is any question feel free to ask.

I think I'm put this one down again myself

Welcome Aaron.

I made a batch of the GB and couldn't drink it so gave to a mate - told him he can have the bottles as a present. I made it for SWMBO and she was of the same opinion.

I have a Cerveza can in the cupboard so may try Chad's recipe.

I recommend the Fruit Salad Ale. Great intro to making really nice beer. The APA can is a goodun.

Thanks for the recipes guys. Will have to try them.

I have kept the Mexican at 18-19.5c and the VCA at 19-21.

I didn't realise how effective the wet towels would be, and with the last week being up and down (insert favourite analogy here)with temps, I was worrying about the yeast becoming inactive!

Both measured 1011 2 days ago, so I will test later this week over 2 days and bottle on Sat or Sun if those 2 readings are the same.

Hmmm, any ideas why almost every bottle of the Lager I have tried is...different? Different levels of carbonation, some are more watery than others, some have more bitterness etc.

Is it just a matter of time evening these out or did I do something wrong? The best one I have had so far had less bottle time and refrigeration time than the last bottle I had.

Hmmm, any ideas why almost every bottle of the Lager I have tried is...different? Different levels of carbonation, some are more watery than others, some have more bitterness etc.

This should not be the case and likely is not the case. If it is the case then you have a problem.

Since you perceive them to be genuinely different it warrants further testing.

Get a mate or 2 to join you in cracking about 3 bottles and do a taste and observation test to compare the 3 samples.

Ensure you have the same glassware and ensure they are clean with no soap residue on them. Make sure all glasses and bottles are at the same temperature.

Drink and enjoy and report back to us.

Archived