Coopers Community

Temp Control

NathanW9

Having a bit of difficulty here in QLD at the moment with temp control. I noticed with the Brew A receipe that it uses cold water instead of boiling water to dissolve ingredients. If i use cold water or say warm water to dissolve fermentables and brew can will it effect anything in terms of the quality of the taste ect?? This should help with brew temp at pitch[biggrin]

Hot water does help the ingredients mix though and a certain amount is needed (like rinsing out the can)

I used to chuck 10lt of water in the fridge overnight and found this to be a fine way to combat the hot liquids.

Hi Nathan, i have the same issue on the Sunny coast and often found the temp over 30 deg when it was time to pitch the yeast. all i do now is use tepid boiled water to dissolve the fermentables and occasionally throw in some ice before pitching. i put down a stout yesterday and it was as hot as, but by doing this, i was able to pitch at 24 deg

I do find that tepid water is not as efficient at fully disolving sugars and malt. does any one know if it matters if small lumps dont dissolve? my guess is that yeast will find them any way. I have never seen evidence of undesolved or unfermented lumps in the trub

im keeping the temp down at the moment with 2 litre milk bottles full of ice against the fv with another on top of fv with towels draped over all plus i hose down the towels...seems pretty ok staying at approx. 22c....cant wait for the stc1000 to arrive next month, but all in all iter going well doing it this way also.

I've got mine sitting in a tub full of water and then freeze soft drink bottles of water and put those in to keep the temp down, also freezer blocks. I need more bottles though so they can stay in the freezer longer but at the beginning when I was able to get it down well, I had it about 18C. It's crept up over the past few days to about 22, because I can't leave the bottles/ice blocks in the freezer long enough to freeze properly so they aren't cooling it as much. But still better than nothing.

I've got mine sitting in a tub full of water and then freeze soft drink bottles of water and put those in to keep the temp down' date=' also freezer blocks. I need more bottles though so they can stay in the freezer longer but at the beginning when I was able to get it down well, I had it about 18C. It's crept up over the past few days to about 22, because I can't leave the bottles/ice blocks in the freezer long enough to freeze properly so they aren't cooling it as much. But still better than nothing. [/quote']

so true otto...any control is better than no control.....except when it comes top the amount of beer drunk lol

I took and old server cabinet and transform it into a biltong dryer (beef jerky). I also use it now too ferment my beer. With fans already built into it, it create a very nice constant temp of between 22C - 24C in my garage.

hi,

just new to this brewing i live in nth qld and just started my 3rd brew its a coopers drought temps get pretty hot up here so my first 2 were brewed around the 30 degrees, then i was told to keep it cooler so this one i put into a bath of cold water and add ice packs all the time it has sat at around 22 degrees 24 at the max is this a lot better for a draught and will it be ok the other 2 were good but not great thanks

Hi Shanef5.

Welcome to the forum.

Do your best to maintain that 22\xb0C temperature throughout your primary ferment, & you will have a much nicer tasting brew as an end result. [happy]

Do not open the fermenter lid, & take your hydrometer readings after approx. 7 days have elapsed through the tap. pour the 1st 50-80mls into a cup & tip out. Pour your next sample for testing with the hydrometer, & allow it to sit for 15-20mins to allow the sample to "degas". The sample must be degassed for you to gain an accurate reading of the current specific gravity of your brew.

Once your Specific Gravity reading is the same for 2 days in a row, & is within a point or even equal to the expected Final Gravity for that brew, it is then considered safe for you to bottle.

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

Hi Shane, i started brewing during winter when the temps were around 20 deg. As the temps rose on the sunny coast, my beer started to develop a slight tang. Not enough to ruin it,but definately unwanted. I have now got a brew fridge and brew at a constant 20 deg. The brews at 30 deg will definately be not as nice as those brewed at 20 deg

I've used the ice bath method as well on my latest brew, I need to get more frozen bottles which I'm working on now. Either that or steal the ice machine from work so I have ice all the time... [lol]

In all seriousness, it's a pretty good method when you don't have access to a fridge. I wish I'd done it before now.

yes ive decided im getting another fv so i can keep them in cold water bath etc...the double tub was just abit too difficult to handle.

And you can get more variety now. Instead of one huge Real Ale and sugar batch, you can do one of those and something else too [w00t]

And if you don't like it there is less to tip out or give away [biggrin]

yes ive decided im getting another fv so i can keep them in cold water bath etc...the double tub was just abit too difficult to handle.

And you can get more variety now. Instead of one huge Real Ale and sugar batch, you can do one of those and something else too [w00t]

And if you don't like it there is less to tip out or give away [biggrin]

yeah like id give it away lol it would have to be really bad....naaah even then i would drink it

but yes its taken me awhile to work it out it does give you more freedom to try other things plus if it goes wrong at least i only lose i single

mind you i keep the double tubs for emergencies lol. although i like glass much better im going over to pet bottles as well...i foresee abit of travelling in the offing and the longnecks can be a pain in the butt to travel with...Glass for home pet to travel with[biggrin]

Archived