Coopers Community

cervesa sediment solutions??

Pitto

Hi Forum Members,

having done a few brews now since october, i am loving the HB hobby and have progressed further into the purchasing of bottlers, drying racks and other paraphernalia.

i have done a cervesa that is pretty good. however, i have a sediment layer at the bottom of the bottle. Is there way of eliminating this sediment? i dont mind the sediment in my Pale Ale's, but the cervesa would be nicer without it.

i thought about buying a 25ltr water container and racking it out to that after the 2week primary ferment, then bottling it from the water container after another 2 weeks. is this ok?

thanks

Glenn

cwc001.jpg

cwc002.jpg

cwc003.jpg

no such luck on the fridge......... yet

just ice bricks and a tub of water round the FV at this stage.

the beer is clear, it just has a really small sediment patch at the bottom.

Overall though, its still come out nice.

i will have to look into the fridge thing. not sure how that will go down, having 4 fridges going in the house. a cool room may be a better solution [cool]

Hi Pitto.

If the sediment bothers you that much, there IS actually a product on the market that will remove pretty much all sediment from bottled home brewed beer during the secondary fermentation stage.

The product is known as the "Brodie Home Brew Sediment Extractor".

Information & ordering instructions on the product can be found at Sed-Ex Brewing.com.

For a

of how to use the product, who better than the YouTube Maestro himself, CraigTube!

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

Off topic but just a comment as I notice you appear to be using old Corona bottles which are clear glass.

Corona use Tetra Iso-Extract(Tetra Hops) to pervent light damage to their beer (skunking). Unless you plan to always keep your beer in the dark before consuming there is a high probability it will be destroyed by UV light. Only takes about 30 mins.

Would be very surprised if Corona contains Tetra as it doesn't present with the merangue-like foam of a typical tetra beer.

It's been a while (years) since I did any analysis on Corona - back then, it certainly did suffer the effects of light-strike.

Hey Pitto,

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. Yeah racking works (keep up the sanitation though), finings work too, but I'm a real fan of cold crashing. Just be careful when pouring them your bottles. Beer tastes better out of a glass anyway IMO.

Corona does suffer from light strike which can lead to a 'skunky' falvor.

Some people say the lime is to hide that, others say its to keep flies off the glass...

I was boozing with a bunch of illegal mexicans in Georgia a few months back and they were putting lime and salt (lots of salt) into their beer.

Most of them weren't drinking corona (think it was Dos Equis), but the salt and lime made it taste great[biggrin]

Not sure where I got this from, but I saved it from somewhere:

Corona : Isohop (Made from Galena) for bittering

Off topic but just a comment as I notice you appear to be using old Corona bottles which are clear glass.

Corona use Tetra Iso-Extract(Tetra Hops) to pervent light damage to their beer (skunking). Unless you plan to always keep your beer in the dark before consuming there is a high probability it will be destroyed by UV light. Only takes about 30 mins.

yes mate, swmbo wanted the brew to be in fancy corona bottles, instead of the tallies i generally use.

the batch is sitting in its own drawer, inside a cupboard, so very little chance of light strike, except for when topping up the fridge.

i will try the cervesa brew that i have in the FV in a cube and let it sit for a few weeks, then bottle from the cube, and see how that goes.

thanks

Glenn

Corona use Tetra Iso-Extract(Tetra Hops) to pervent light damage to their beer (skunking).

I unreservedly withdraw this defamatory statement which was made without any real knowledge. It was pure speculation.

I bow to the more popular theory that the slice of citrus is used to disguise the skunkiness of the beer. Mind you it still tastes revolting.

Corona use Tetra Iso-Extract(Tetra Hops) to pervent light damage to their beer (skunking).

I unreservedly withdraw this defamatory statement which was made without any real knowledge. It was pure speculation.

I bow to the more popular theory that the slice of citrus is used to disguise the skunkiness of the beer. Mind you it still tastes revolting.

Sir, the peasants are revolting. No sorry, it's only the Corona.

I couldn't agree more John.

Good to see the Cerveza has raised it's thread again,i actually luv making this poor old thing,it has protential to be a swiger for non craftbrewers.As for the sediment all mine have had it this year but it adds to the flavor,just give it a slight up & down as Coopers say to do with their Pale Ale & drink up.

you could always, and I say this with much humour, man up and just bloody drink it!! it's only yeast [ninja]

If you leave them in the fridge for about 4 days that yeast will compact very nicely, pour smoothly and you should be able to keep most of it on the bottom easily.

[roll] [biggrin]

Archived