Coopers Community

glass or pet

hi fellas im being a pest on here but what the heck im going through a transitional stage here ....ive always used the glass longnecks but these days in finding it all too heavy etc ...am looking at the plastic bottles and the m,ore i think(hell!!) the more im leaning to a change ........i have a feeling im about 20 years behind everyone else with my brewing lol

cheers i look forward to any thoughts from you all

Hi Nedg.

The decision to use PET bottles or glass bottles is really one of personal choice.

I prefer to use glass bottles, maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned that way.

However, the one big plus you do gain by using plastic bottles over using glass ones is that if you accidentally over prime a bottle, you won't have to worry about it potentially turning into a "bottle bomb" & exploding glass everywhere. [rightful]

Good luck with your brewing.

Anthony.

I use both and they are both great. The same beer will be just as good (or bad) out of plastic or glass as long as you pour it in a glass for drinking.

When drinking out of plastic or cans the smell of them is translated as being part of the taste but if you pour it in a glass it'll taste much better.

PET

Pros: Cheap, don't break, twisty caps, no bottle bombs

Cons: Don't look as nice, plastic smell if drinking from bottle.

Glass:

Pros: Potentially Free, look nice, klinky

Cons: bottle bombs, breakage, need to buy caps.

PETs are probably better, but I still use only glass bottles just because I prefer them...

Hey Ned

A belated welcome to the forum.

I'm going to be a PITA and do what used to drive me nuts and suggest

Kegs [bandit] .

Sorry you didn't ask that. So I will say if you can get glass and you are confident that A - The brew has fully fermented out B - You have sanitised well enough to prevent nasties in the bottle and C - That you haven't over primed then I would say go for glass. Apart from what everyone else has said in the pros and cons columns, there are arguments around questioning the health side effects that can occur from PET, however it is all inconclusive. But there are no similar arguments doing the rounds concerning glass.

Try and get the Coopers Longnecks, Crabbies 500ml, or 345ml Malt Shovel or Matilda Bay. Its not advisable to use the last two as they are not really designed for refill by home brewers, but if you can meet conditions A, B & C you'll be pretty right. I wouldn't use twist on Longnecks or Stubbies unless you have no choice, as they are considerably weaker than the ones I suggest.

By the way did I mention Kegs [innocent]

thankyou everyone i really appreciate all the help......ive used glass for some 8 yrs now but im just looking at making life a little easier ......i prefer glass because my brain says so...recently i saw mates using pit so thought why not....go for a change.....i must say though im sure if you guys saw how we have been doing it these past years youd shake your head...especially the brews we putdown in lightening ridge .......but they have worked...but as i say im trying to experiment a little.....kegs the only thing i wont do but only because i never know when i have to move round etc....im abit of a gypsy here lol......once again thankyou all for the input i much appreciate it

[crying]

Archived