Coopers Community

controlling temperature of fermentation

hiyas all im new here and ive got a question about temperature....for 8 yrs now a mate and i have done it rough as guts and just left it in barrel to ferment...has always worked ok but we are rough heads and dont know any better i guess.....i have little room and need to brew on my verandah....in the hot weather would wet towells (sorta coolgartdie fridge style) be a good idea? or do i have to get scientific....for heavens sake that would be something. lol thnx all in the past we had huge shaded shed and just let it stand on its own and wouldnt really know how hot it got.....i do either real ale or draught BUT I WILL DRINK ANYTHING LOL

THANKYOU YOB...IVE MOVED TO SOUTH COAST NSW AND AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT I HAVE A FRIDGE SPARE I COULD DO JUST THAT......I APPRECIATE ANY HELP I CASN GET...ASI SAID IVE BEEN BREWING THE BUSHMANS WAY FOR 8 YRS NOW BUT IM KEEN TO TRY TO MUCK AROUND WITH IT ALL ABIT MORE NOW I HAVE THE TIME.... IT WOULDNT GET TOO COOL IN THE FRIDGE I GATHER??

thnx guys im sure youve worked it out...im a dumass with computers as well as beer making lol cheers

Hey nedg, i kicked off the STC1000 thread because i was in the boat as you. Probably worse as its as hot as fark up here. the STC cost $21 on ebay, a jiffy box from Jaycar and a powerpoint made it around $40 all up. BillK and the lads gave me all the advice i needed to put it together. if you have a spare fridge you may as well use it. you will find plenty of help here if you need it, alls you need to do is ask. welcome to the forum mate, as long as you have a passion for beer, a sense of humour and a thick skin, you will enjoy your stay[happy]

well id like to thank you guys bery much for all the help...im not technical but i go opal mining from time to time so ive learnt to improvise. yes i love my beer, have a wry sense of humour and yes im thick skinned...(gotta be with a head like mine). i will look into that stc1000....sounds the go especially as you say i do have a fridge sitting in laundry doing nothing

was gunna use main fridge in house but crabby missus has put the foot down lol. cheers fellas im only new here but im loving this site already...i appreciate the help

thnx guys im sure youve worked it out...im a dumass with computers as well as beer making lol cheers

Hey nedg, i kicked off the STC1000 thread because i was in the boat as you. Probably worse as its as hot as fark up here. the STC cost $21 on ebay, a jiffy box from Jaycar and a powerpoint made it around $40 all up. BillK and the lads gave me all the advice i needed to put it together. if you have a spare fridge you may as well use it. you will find plenty of help here if you need it, alls you need to do is ask. welcome to the forum mate, as long as you have a passion for beer, a sense of humour and a thick skin, you will enjoy your stay[happy]

now im looking up gadgets on ebay.....this is your fault Nick [crying]

i just know im gunna be a forum tragic......[cool]

Hi Trabfountain.

One concern is the CO2 produced by the ferment in an enclosed space and does this need to be vented outside.

The process of primary ferment purely expels CO2. Whether you use an airlock or gladwrap to seal your fermenter, the gas is forced out of your fermenter under pressure.

At no time during the ferment does the process attempt to draw in external air from outside the fermenter, & at no time will the external gases expelled from the fermenter into the area contained within the fridge space outweigh the pressure inside the fermenter to be able to force it's way back in. [biggrin]

Once you've got your brew in your fridge at the correct temperature, for the most part, put your feet up & relax for a couple of weeks. [happy]

I hope that helps.

Anthony.

Archived