Coopers Community

bottle tops

Ooze

G'day, might be a bit of a simple one but, sterilizing bottle tops. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere but figured it'd go along with the cleanliness thing. Is it neccessary? Happy brewing and then drinking 8)

That's pretty much exactly what I do. I do it with ones out of the packet, too. I know it's paranoid, but there's no guarantee they were packed in sanitary conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Whilst were are on the subject. I have only brewed twice with PET bottles and the second time I re-used the tops and left the old plastic ring around the neck. (I didn't want to risk damaging the bottle by trying to remove it.

Do you have to use new plastic caps each time you re-use your PET bottles and if so, how do you remove the old rings around the necks??

Cheers

Phil

Wollongong

I used PET bottles for a while, but gone back to glass. I was never able to get rid of thoses rings around the neck. I tried the idiotic way of removing them using a bottle scrubber, but it scoured the plastic, so out went the bottles.

My favorite bottles are Grolch bottles. I have been using the same bottles for around 6 years now and they still hold the seal very well. The best part in collecting these bottles was buying two every week and downing the contents down my throat (much to the wifes dissatisfaction).

• 6 years later...

Because I have had a few bottles not sealing properly I\u2019ve decided to use the tops only 4 times. What I do is to put a 1 mark up the side of the new tops and place another mark the next time they are used. When a top has 4 marks up the side I discard the top.

Instead of cutting the rings of the bottle necks I use a pair of side cutters and snip the ring on the new tops and tear the ring off the top, this is much quicker than trying to remove the rings from the bottles.

Weggl

That sounds harder than taking the rings. I just slice the rings off the bottle with a stanley knife. Takes 2 seconds.

As for lids - I have some that I have used more than a dozen times without a problem. If they look a bit suss I toss them out - only done that a couple of times though.

Archived