Coopers Community

Do you ever make beer without working out the ABV

GrahamB8

The past year or so I havent been working out my ABV's I always lately seem to just guestimate, 4'ish kg of extract or 6'ish kg of grain seems to be the 'very rough guide' with me, Im all about the flavour

Well Ive just had a pint of Homebrew Coopers sparkling ale and 2 pints of IPA whilst watching HBW vids on youtube and although not totally drunk, its time for bed....hic! g'night!

Hi GrahamB8.

I'm like you, I don't worry too much about ABV. It's all about flavour.

That said, I have always been cautious when starting down the Sparkling Ale road for an evening. [lol]

Coopers Sparkling Ale, the best value for money 6 pack you can buy. Bar NONE! [rightful]

Beer.

Never worked it out, I just assume I'm brewing full strength and after a full PET I don't drive. Though I do have a Nelsons Light in the FV at the moment, I'm keen to see if one PET of that puts me on may arse as easily as a Celebration Ale - hence my question in the recipe resource about lowering the ABV on that brew.

I [love] the brew I just want to enjoy more than two glasses of it before I get the wobbly boots on.

Coopers Sparkling Ale' date=' the best value for money 6 pack you can buy. Bar NONE![/quote']

Cough... Feral Hop Hog.. Cough

Thats a nasty cough there mate; sounds a bit feral [innocent]

It is a nice drop though [love]

As for ABV, I don't particularly start off with the intention of brewing to a particular ABV but I do take it into account when designing recipes. The software works it out for me [wink]

G'day all. I must admit to being a big fan of Coopers Sparking Ale.

It's certainly one beer I am hoping to replicate when I eventually attain some mastery of my keg setup.

I have a question for some of the more learned brewers. My latest creation was Coopers Pale Ale, Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 plus 300 grams of dextrose. The final gravity was 1.008.(6 days only) I forgot to take the orginal gravity. Could anyone hazard a guess (22 degrees C)?

I am most concern about Final Gravity as this determines the body of a beer. I like a beer with a FG of 10-14 which is a medium bodied ale. As for the ABV I truly would like to keep as low as will make good beer. Generally 4.0-6.0%.

When I'm creating recipes I am trying to keep it to style or Balance Value.

I like beer and I like sampling several beer a night so I don't mind them being on the lighter side when it comes to ABV.

I like beer and I like sampling several beer a night so I don't mind them being on the lighter side when it comes to ABV.

+1, That's exactly where I am at Chad. At the start I was pushing around the 5.6 - 5.8 (Big Red zone) with my beers. However I am now kegging with a maximum of 4.2% (except for the Cascadian Blonde that I miscalculated on). I can happily drink from my keg knowing that I am not going to get smashed. Granted I wouldn't attempt to drive at the minute, but I'm not doing dumb things or waking in the morn with a cracking headache. My higher ABVs are in bottles so that I can count those standard drinks, its not just about driving there are also health considerations to take into account [bandit].

+1 Will. my AIPA is a nice beer, but 2 tallies and i am like a 16 year old! i must admit, the ABV of 6.5% is too overpowering for my tastes. Now i try for around 4.5% and occasionally a mid strength and find i really enjoy the flavour of the beer rather than the bite of the alcohol

Now i try for around 4.5% and occasionally a mid strength and find i really enjoy the flavour of the beer rather than the bite of the alcohol

Yes but I find that 3.6% is a bit low as alcohol is as

a flavour enhancer
I do have a several longnecks of my Centrillo Gold (40 weeks bottled & 3.6%) that I should try after mowing the lawn next week.

Archived