Coopers Community

Krausen Gunk

i was wondering the same a few days ago so i tasted it.

It was bitter as f**k! so i recon a lot of it is hop matter, general malt funk, and yeast.

I might be wrong but I don't think yeast poops. It just pees alcohol and farts carbon dioxide.

Found the answer it was in John Palmers online book ------ A head of foamy krausen will form on top of the beer. The foam consists of yeast and wort proteins and is a light creamy color, with islands of green-brown gunk that collect and tend to adhere to the sides of the fermentor. The gunk is composed of extraneous wort protein, hop resins, and dead yeast. These compounds are very bitter and if stirred back into the wort, would result in harsh aftertastes. Fortunately these compounds are relatively insoluble and are typically removed by adhering to the sides of the fermentor as the krausen subsides. Harsh aftertastes are rarely, if ever, a problem.

Hey Wayne,

Way to go with your signature picture. The Trailer Park Boys are a Canadian icon. [cool]

Mate Trailer Park Boys is the best TV series I have ever watched I have seen all their work and watched several times over I wished they made more TPB shows. They are working on a movie called race dicks so waiting for that one.

It was bitter as f**k! so i recon a lot of it is hop matter, general malt funk, and yeast.

I might be wrong but I don't think yeast poops. It just pees alcohol and farts carbon dioxide.

LMAO... I think this is poop so I might taste it to see if it really is.... [sick]

lol, I guess it took someone to think, "what would it be like if I squeeze those dangly things on a cow and drink it!"

lol' date=' I guess it took someone to think, "what would it be like if I squeeze those dangly things on a cow and drink it!"[/quote']

I feel sorry for the person that tested this theory out on a bull [innocent]

LMAO... I think this is poop so I might taste it to see if it really is.... [sick]

lol, I guess it took someone to think, "what would it be like if I squeeze those dangly things on a cow and drink it!"

[lol] Yeah, that's even funnier than me smelling under the lid of my fermenter, getting punched in the face by carbon dioxide and then doing it again to see if it would happen twice.

Archived