Coopers Community

How long for sediment to settle?

MarkB38

In another post, I discussed my issues when dry hopping, where I had to remove the bags to add more marbles, dropped the clip (sanitized) in the trub, disturbed the trub removing the clip (with a sanitized spoon), etc. I'm pretty sure everything was well sanitized in doing this.

The hop bags are now out, but I still have quite a bit of sediment linger around, at the top of the wort, 12-25mm below the surface. I think this stuff is just sediment, and not infection (it's like beige flaky stuff - looks a lot like fish food). If I tap the sides, some slowly floats down, some rises. The last two evenings it looked like it was dissipating, but in the morning, it's back.

Is this problematic, and just a matter of waiting it out? I pitched the yeast 9/27, and my plan is to leave it at least another week before bottling.

Thanks.

Yeah I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. Nevertheless, if you can CC it for a few days when it has finished fermenting then that will help settle it.

I would also do the old faithful smell and taste test prior to bottling. I reckon it will be right though. [rightful]

Yeah it sounds fine Mark - just taste and smell your beer if you are ever worried. It'll generally go a bit (or a lot) rank if there is an issue.

I must've missed the other thread where you mentioned removing your hops bag and adding marbles - that worries me. Why would you do that? Too risky IMO [rightful] they'll be fine even sitting on top.

it'll mostly settle in the bottle and the bits that make it to the glass can be counted as one of your 5 a day [biggrin]

I generally just dry hop by throwing the hops in loose and letting them do their own thing (mostly just settling in the trub).

it leaves less room for error and it has not failed me yet.

Thanks all.

This morning, it looks a lot better. While there still is some sediment floating, there's a lot less, and it's floating lower than before, so I assume it will settle.

Other than that, it looks good and smells great. I think I'll give it another week.

I must've missed the other thread where you mentioned removing your hops bag and adding marbles - that worries me. Why would you do that? Too risky IMO [rightful] they'll be fine even sitting on top.

Muddy, You're right, I won't try that again. But I'm pretty sure I had everything well sanitized...

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=43390#post43390

Archived