Coopers Community

Got a second fermenter

I scored an old school coopers bucket style home brew FV has tap spigot etc but no lid and Gladwrap won't cover it not seal it would sanitizing a garbage bag and using one of those massive rubber bands do the trick I could try open fermentation but not keen on that idea due to the risk of infection any other idea's will be appreciated Cheers

It doesn't need to seal completely mate, it just needs to cover it to stop crap getting in. If you have one of those massive rubber bands that would fit around it then I reckon two sheets of glad wrap would do it. Or if you like, put two one direction and two in the other, like a cross pattern.

Some people do, but I don't think it's necessary. Especially if you use a rubber band to keep it in place, it's not a tight seal so the gas will escape. The O ring from the lid isn't a completely airtight seal either but it's probably better than a rubber band, however the gas will still escape.

Pinholes aren't necessary if you are using Gladwrap as a lid.

The CO2 will find its way out.

There might be a bit of a bulge in the gladwrap during fermentation. Its just another indicator of fermentation.

My FVs have reasonably wide openings. One sheet of cling wrap will cover it, but when I push the O-ring down over the top, I don't get enough cling wrap coming out under it for my liking (if that makes sense [pinched]) so I always criss cross another layer over the top.

Works a treat for me with no pinholes.

Good luck mate. [cool]

My FVs have reasonably wide openings. One sheet of cling wrap will cover it' date=' but when I push the O-ring down over the top, I don't get enough cling wrap coming out under it for my liking (if that makes sense [pinched']) so I always criss cross another layer over the top.

Works a treat for me with no pinholes.

Good luck mate. [cool]

I will report back tomorrow when I tackle the alleged challenge the criss cross idea sounds like it will work still cleaning it having it soak in bleach and sodium perc over night anyhow looks like it needed a good clean been stored for a while got to make sure all the spigot etc is clean and well sanitized too.

normal house glad wrap comes in 300mm rolls and the stuff we get at work (I'm a Chef) is 450mm. So I suggest you find a local wholesale distributer (ask local restaurants/cafes) and purchase some there

Yeah I'm hearin' that Wayne!

I did the same thing today, & bought a second fermenter along with a good 2-3 brews worth of stock. Ever since the more experienced brewers on the forum convinced me to brew at lower temps, it has thrown my old system out the window! The brew I put down two weeks ago only stopped bubbling today (no it hasn't reached FG yet either!), so I'll leave it & bottle it next weekend. I would of brewed & bottled 3 lots under my old system in the same time frame! [lol]

With 1 FV I just would not have been able to keep enough beer flowing under these lower temp brew schedules. A second FV became a MUST. I'm already thinking I'll probably get a 3rd one!

I didn't waste any time when I got it home either. I put a quick brew straight into it! I put the Thomas Coopers IPA in it. Man that is one seriously intense kit tin. Big hop aroma & the deep amber colour of it is simply awesome. I didn't even add any hops to it, just the basic recommended dex/malt additions. It honestly doesn't need any more hops. I can't wait to drink it!

I would of picked up a temp controller too today, but the one on offer needs you to almost wire it into the fridge. I've seen others, but they aren't AUS Standard certified, so I'm not game to touch them.

Anyways, that's what I got up to today. [roll]

Beer.

Yeah this one been used before but didn't appear to be used in ages was pretty dirty. So I soaked it in sodium perc and bleach and hot water then this morning wiped it all out rinse then soaked it for a few more hours and cleaned it again rinsed it well and done 2 start san applications soaked the spigot and parts in star san for 10 mins. Come out like new in the end but rather wait instead of getting infection from rushing things.

Where did you get this fermenter from to have to go to soo much cleaning/sanitizing trouble?

Did "American Pickers" find it for you? [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer.

I got it off a friend given to me it hadn't been used in ages and heaps of dust etc had settled in the bottom. It was filthy IMO So I cleaned and sanitized it to high standards its like new now. I won't go to this trouble each time i brew. I usually just fill my FV with sodium perc for 10 mins and it cleans all the gunk easy rinse it star san it.

I didn't even add any hops to it' date=' just the basic recommended dex/malt additions. It honestly doesn't need any more hops.[/quote']

[lol] Everything needs more hops!

The IPA is my favourite kit, and I love the aroma when you mix it up, but chuck in some Amarillo and Citra and you've got a winner. I know it's fine on its own, but I am so freakin hooked on hops!!

Can't wait for my home grown Chinook! [devil] [devil] [devil]

I didn't even add any hops to it' date=' just the basic recommended dex/malt additions. It honestly doesn't need any more hops.[/quote']

[lol] Everything needs more hops!

The IPA is my favourite kit, and I love the aroma when you mix it up, but chuck in some Amarillo and Citra and you've got a winner. I know it's fine on its own, but I am so freakin hooked on hops!!

Can't wait for my home grown Chinook! [devil] [devil] [devil]

+1 for hops shitloads of them [devil]

I would of picked up a temp controller too today, but the one on offer needs you to almost wire it into the fridge. I've seen others, but they aren't AUS Standard certified, so I'm not game to touch them.

Anyways, that's what I got up to today. [roll]

You can get cheap ones from EvilBay and it isn't hard at all to wire them up. Alternatively if you want one already wired then I think Keg King is about the cheapest at $60-$70.

Archived