Coopers Community

The Brew That Could

Hi guys.

The current brew I have down is still bubbling away with no signs of stopping anytime soon. It's now 12 days in. Yes the bubbling rate has slowed from the initial 4-5 days, but today upon checking it, it seems to have almost back flipped & increased again.

There has been no drastic temperature change from the 18\xb0C the brew was put down at. It is not a temperature controlled brew & ambient temperatures are all that influence it. At most it rose to approx 20\xb0C in the early days of fermentation.

Final Gravity estimates suggests it should finish at around 1.015. Do I simply give it another couple of days, & do a SG reading & go from there?

All thoughts welcomed.

Beer.

Bubbles in the airlock do not necessarily indicate fermentation is continuing.

Take a reading to determine the current SG and compare that to estimated FG. That will give you an idea of where you are at.

Pretty much what I already thought.

Normally I wouldn't be overly concerned, but this brew has behaved differently over a longer period than I am usually accustomed to. I only use the airlock as a rough guide to when I should begin looking at SG.

I'm quite excited about the end prospects of what I mixed together for this brew, & just didn't want to ruin it by acting on poor assumptions.

Thanks guys. [happy]

Beer.

raise the temps slowly toward the end of fermentation to aid in yeast finishing the job.

As you suggested, I've just flicked the switch on the heat mat. I'll take SG readings each day from here on in.

Cheers,

Beer.

I hearin' that Yob. (about wasting beer)

So you think it'll take maybe 4 days to drop from 1.020 down to 1.015-1016?

It might take 1 day... but yes probably 3-4 days.. dunno... but thats what Id be doing..

Have patience, beers can benefit from extra time in the FV after FG is hit to clean up... dont be in a rush to get it out of the FV... Hard I know, but something you should be learning.

Have patience' date=' beers can benefit from extra time in the FV after FG is hit to clean up... dont be in a rush to get it out of the FV... Hard I know, but something you should be learning.[/quote']

That is a philosophy I understand, & adhere to as best I can.

I work pretty crappy hours, so for me it's all about timing my brew cycle to work in with the available free time I have to brew & bottle.

It's just some brews won't LISTEN!! [lol]

Beer.

for me it's all about timing my brew cycle to work in with the available free time I have to brew & bottle.

almost impossible... Yeast are a living organism and can be very unpredictable at the best of times...

A longer cycle is better than a short tight one as it allows the flexibility to bottle earlier if it's all said and done and if not then it goes to plan..

Often quoted coz it's a good one..

3 weeks for Ales -

week 1 = Ferment

week 2 = Condition / Finish

week 3 = Cold Condition / Bottle.

If it's not finished in those two weeks then you have bigger problems to address [lol]

Yob

lol @ Beerlust.... that was fanny!!... oops, I mean funny.

I kegged only last Sunday 2 brews I had in that had been finished for at least 5 weeks. They were sitting there for nearly 7 weeks all up. I either had something on or just couldn't be stuffed doing it.

Kegged last Sunday and drinking them last Tuesday (2 days later being last night) and there is a huge difference to what they would be if I kegged them as soon as they were ready.

Patience is king.

Geez I wish I had nothing to drink, got 2 kegs in a fridge, 3 kegs sitting around waiting to be drunk, two kegs worth of beer fermenting and only one free keg to brew for when current ferment is over, and I just bought 150kg of grain (bulk buy through brew club). God dammit I just want to make more! (sorry, had to complain to someone)

Beerlust throws a coin into the air. . .

Heads, he hopes a brand new fermenter lands on MikeyBycrikey's front door step. . .

Tails, he hopes ONE or more of MikeyBycrikey's fermenters springs a leak. . .

.... Looks like it's "tails"! [lol]

I wish I had your problem.

Beer.

it's funny - actually took me 2 batches of barely bottle conditioned beer before I decided I needed a second FV...

just bought a third (priming vessel) 2 days ago! [joyful]

this is a very cool hobby....

Archived