Coopers Community

Maybe contaminated my brew. What now?

Sven

I've just checked my Lemon Weizen brew. It's only been fermenting for a couple of days and seems to be going along ok. No great krausen but the Glad Wrap is ballooning and there are bubbles.

However I've notice a thin piece of label or something floating on top. I'd reckon it might be from the bloody can opener when I opened the wort can.

Should I open it up and get it out or just leave it alone and let it sort itself out? I have to stick the lemon infusion in in 3 days so I could get it out then.

I reckon it won't make much of a difference at that point, as any potential damage will already have been done. However, it's most likely that your brew is fine. If the fermentation is going along normally and there are no off smells, you should have nothing to worry about. I guess I'd get rid of it just for aesthetic reasons.[lol]

I've done that before and it has worked out ok. I have dropped the whole can in before too and it worked out ok. I learnt a lesson about drinking too much whilst brewing [innocent]

I would just leave it now. There is probably more chance infecting the brew by trying to remove it than by leaving it there.

why dont you steralise a long spoon an scoop it out? at least that will stop you worrying about conamination from this point on[unsure]

If it is infected by this then the bull has already bolted. If not then it won't and by introducing a means of removal will only introduce another means of infection.

Best to leave it now as the damage is done otherwise you run a further risk removing it.

Archived