Coopers Community

Reactivating Coops Commercial Ale Yeast

ash

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ummm I don't think that is everyone's favorite brew... definitely not mine that's for sure [alien]

That was my attempt at being funny BillK ,so anyway Lord how do you think the Coops Commercial Yeast would go.

Gents & Ladies' date='has anyone tried the Coops Commercial Yeast with everybody's favourite brew Cerveza.[lol'] [lol] [lol]

I would say No.. it's not appropriate for the style of beer.

Live and Learn though.. my taste buds are not the same as yours..

(mine are thickly coated in hop resins) [lol]

Oh the joys of home brewing [biggrin] .

I am preparing for Saturday's extract brew the "Styx River Pale Ale". Preparing early I know, but I need to collect the yeast. Hence I need to polish of three Coopers Pale Ale long necks. I can assure you it's not drinking that I am doing but harvesting [innocent] .

Oh the joys of home brewing [biggrin] .

I am preparing for Saturday's extract brew the "Styx River Pale Ale". Preparing early I know, but I need to collect the yeast. Hence I need to polish of three Coopers Pale Ale long necks. I can assure you it's not drinking that I am doing but harvesting [innocent] .

Nelson,After you have a hard day/night harvesting your Coops longnecks, it could be time to relax & have 1/2 of your own brews.[lol] [lol] [lol]

So a progress report on my Aussie Pale Ale. Day 7, after pitching the Coopers recultured yeast, the SG is down to 1.011 (from 1.044). Tasted the sample and it is as good as any other green sample I've tatsed. So its all systems go for Saturday Brew Day.

I intend to do a side by side test. Im going to make up a 20lt wort and bitter it to 25IBU with something quite neutral like Magnum.

Im then going to get a 6 pack of coopers green and harvest the yeast from 3 stubbies to one set and 3 to another.

Set 1 will be 'recultured' to the letter of the instructions and Set 2 will be aligned to the target wort and stepped up on a stirplate over the same time period.

Both batches will be fermented and recorded at the same time with taste comparison near the end of summer.

Results I hope will show if there is a difference in flavour of the 2. I have a Tasting Panel lined up and will be a blind 3 way with the control as one of my less hoppy beers fermented with 05 or greenbelt or something.. maybe a Notto ale.

[lol] Yeast Experiments [lol]

Yob

I intend to do a side by side test.

Yob

Your intentions are admirable

Set 1 will be 'recultured' to the letter of the instructions and Set 2 will be aligned to the target wort and stepped up on a stirplate over the same time period.

As is your thirst for conducting well thought out empirical studies

Results I hope will show if there is a difference in flavour of the 2.

However you appear to be embarking on your quest with a fair degree of bias. I am hoping that your bias will not shadow the results of the experiment.

A more suitable hypothesis may well be

This experiment seeks to determine whether Coopers recultured yeast imparts different flavours upon the resultant brew depending on the way it is processed in the home brewery

I will be providing the beer to an impartial taste panel who will have a score card to fill and of which I will host not taste. (during the tasting)

3 way blind tasting. I also await the results with much anticipation, indeed I could have chosen those words better.

Im doing this primarily to put it to bed in my own mind and will be delightfully happy to be proven wrong in my (un-tested) beliefs..

will be win win for coopers as they sell another 6 pack and get field tested results and promotion of their yeast [lol]

No offence intended in these posts Mr Coopers [love]

Hi Yob.

I'll be interested in the outcome of this experiment of yours.

P.S. I do think PB2 outlined to use "4" stubbies, not 3, in his pinned post though.

Beer.

I should have said that I will split the batch.. they will be 10-12 lt each so even in that im being a bit giving already [biggrin]

This experiment seeks to determine whether Coopers recultured yeast imparts different flavours upon the resultant brew depending on the way it is processed in the home brewery

Agreed, those are much better words. Im usually a bit more diplomatic [cool]

Set 2 will be aligned to the target wort and stepped up on a stirplate over the same time period.

and if stepping up produces the better beer I'll be keen to give it ago. I am always looking for my next "Best Brew Ever" experience.

P.S. I do think PB2 outlined to use "4" stubbies, not 3, in his pinned post though.

Beer.

4 stubbies will get closer to the pitching rate of course and is less time consuming. However, you can do it with only 1 if you really wanted, just need to step it up to the required amount of yeast to pitch [cool]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I've followed PB2's instructions with the 4 stubbies, & they have been going for a couple of days. On shake a good 1cm+ head is obvious, as is the air pressure inflating the glad wrap. I assume this is the stage we are wanting it to be at before pitching?

If, so I plan to throw a brew down friday to use it, so a couple of days in the fridge beforehand should be fine as long as I re-warm the stubbies on the day before pitching?

Beer.

Archived