Coopers Community

How Much Smell?

BrianD7

[bandit] As this is my first attempt at home brewing I need to get it right or else. So a very important question. Can the brew be made inside the house? I have been advised (by a former brewer of long ago)not to do so because the process is very odourful. is the new process OK?

I am interested in hearing what the consequences are of an unsuccessful brew [w00t]

You can definitely brew in the house and the odour isn't bad at all. For most brews it is barely noticeable until you open the lid. And then the smell is beautiful [love]

Sometimes lager yeast can produce a sulphur smell (ie. rotten egg) but you should have no problems with ales.

I too used to have 2 fermeters on the go in the dinning room and there was little if any lingering odours. I now ferment in fridges in the shed and when I do open the fridge door the sweet aroma is excellent [love] [happy] [cool]

I read an article the other day saying that psychopaths have a very poor sense of smell [annoyed] .

You best be sleeping with one eye open then if you are going to be mixing with other home brewers....hahaha [bandit] [biggrin]

All we smell is BEER..!!!! [cool]

some of my earliest memories are of going with my dad to a little village pub in England where i grew up and sitting in the beer garden. they used to brew on the premisis and the beer was pumped into the glass. occasionally Dad would take me inside and the aroma was....well i will never forget it. i love the smell of my garage now i have started brewing, it takes me back to a time that i should NEVER forget. is there nothing that beer can do?

Nowadays I do my brewing outside, or in the shed when it's too hot outside in the sun like yesterday. I only do kits and bits and as a result I knock of pots/pans, strainers etc. from the kitchen as I require them. I made three brews yesterday and when I finished I had to do about four trips to the kitchen to return everything I had "borrowed" for the day [bandit] [innocent] .

I had to convince SWMBO that she should be thankful that I don't have the FVs in the house anymore!!! [biggrin] [cool]

When a brewed the Coopers Australian Pale Ale, the first morning I went down stairs I was greeted with a strong fart smell. I was worried it could be infected, but I was told it was not unusual. That yeast kit has two strains of yeast, and the one that kicks in earlier can put off a sulfurous odor. It was gone later that day.

In general, my brews only put off a light, pleasant smell.

Archived