Coopers Community

Stirred up batch

JohnB45

Hi everyone my missus stired my batch up on day six,its day day nine now and its still a little cloudy.The temp had dropped to 18 and had to be moved ,I have no idea why she stirred it lol.It is back up to 22 now.Should I wait a bit longer or should I turf it out and start again ?

Don't turf it, it should be fine. There are a few options available:

1. Leave it as it is for a few more days and it should settle some more.

2. Make some room in your fridge and sit it in there for a few days. The cooler temp will clear it up more quickly.

3. Bottle it and let it settle out in the bottle. You will just have a little more sediment in the bottle.

4. Get a new missus [biggrin]

Also, 18 degrees is fine to brew at; in fact it is almost a perfect temperature for an ale yeast (if you aren't after any fruity esters). No need to keep it at 22 degrees.

John, ignore the instructions that come with the kit. They will help you make beer but not great beer.

Brew your ales around 18-20 degrees and use your hydrometer to ensure fermentation has finished. Once you have reached FG then leave it for another week to clear up and clean up.

It gets easier to leave in the FV when you have a few brews under your belt and a supply of ready beer.

You can't fault your missus fr being enthusiastic, but if you think she might be tempted to do it again next batch, after a day or two take the get her nose right up to the fermenter (a torch will be handy) and show her that the brew mixes itself as it heats and cools. It's quite interesting -well for a few seconds anyway- to get up close and see how much the stuff does circulate.

Hiya JohnB45.

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this earlier, . . .

Go buy yourself a "Hydrometer" from your local homebrew shop. This little piece of equipment will measure the "Specific Gravity" of your brew.

Follow the instructions accompanied with the Hydrometer & take samples from your fermenter (via the tap) over 2 days minimum, after a minimum of 7 days where the fermenter has been left alone. If the reading for 'Specific Gravity' displayed by the Hydrometer is the same for 2 days in a row, your brew is safe to bottle.

Beyond that, hide all spoons from your missus! [lol]

You didn't mention anything about a Mexican Cerveza in your OP. Just dump it.

[lol]

I agree with the general consensus to leave it until around the 14 day mark before bottling (this stands true even without stirring incidents). The instructions are to be taken with a grain of salt and are generally useless and are aimed at complete idiots.

If the reading for 'Specific Gravity' displayed by the Hydrometer is the same for 2 days in a row' date=' your brew is safe to bottle.[/quote']

This is quite dangerous information so for clarity I shall add this.

If the readings are the same over a minimum of 2 days "within the expected terminal gravity range" then it should be OK to package.

The reason I say this is that if you have a stuck ferment for example and you then bottle and add more fermentables you may well be picking glass out of your eye.. or even worse your child's eye.

Yob

I would assume "a stuck ferment" can only happen if the fermenter temperature is way out of whack with the recommended temperature it should be to activate the pitched yeast. Get your start temperature correct & do your best to maintain that & 2/3's of your worries pretty much disappear.

However, I will concur if you have any doubts, allow the 2 weeks as my more esteemed colleagues have suggested.

My Heating Pad is my best friend. [lol]

Pitching sufficient healthy yeast is important.

I had a US-05 ferment stop in the low 1020's, around 10 above my expected FG. My pitching and fermenting temp were spot on and it usually attenuates around 75%. Most likely I got a dud batch with insufficient healthy yeast.

Some highly flocculant yeasts have a habit of calling it quits early. S-04 is notorious for conking out early.

The FG would be stable but if you bottled and then roused the yeast; Boom!

Archived