Coopers Community

To stir plate or not to stir plate

BrewingBenny

Now i'm getting out of control, might be a question for PB2. I am looking at culturing some yeast from some Coopers beer. I am in the process of making a stir plate and was wondering what your thoughts were on this way of suspending and oxygenating the yeast. I am looking at using an erlenmeyer flask to do this in. If anyone else has had some luck or thoughts please do tell. Thanks heaps.[roll]

Even though a stir plate is 100% better than nothing, you can still do a good job by shaking a few times a day. No need to rush a stir plate even though it will be better, shaking will suffice for the time being, if need be.

Thanks Bill, unfortunately my nature is to go full on or nothing (A bad trait according to SWMBO at times) I figure I want the best result first up so as I can improve from there on. Although like a muppett I forget to add the 300g dexrtose to my CSA because it wasn't included in the monthly special kit. So theres an excuse to re do the kit and culture some yeast. So far $9 to purchase the Fan, speed switch, and magnets. Not bad really.

This is the template i'm using Dazza, with my own litle twist. I'm going to use a plastic container, similar to a tupperware type container. I have the parts coming from over seas courtesy of e-bay. I'll knock it up and post a pic when it turns up

stirplate for sure.

Dex amd other simple sugars however, despite what coopers say, should not be used to 'step up' yeast, it can affect the enzyme that converts maltose. (The Yeast Book - JZ / Chris White)

If stepping up its best practice to use a low gravity wort for the firs step or two, this allows the yeast to build up their carbohydrates such as thehlose and glycogen (spelling?) and will make for less mutation of cells.

Mr Malty is a handy calculator to tell you how big your starter should be and how many cells you need to do the job (based on OG and how many liters the brew is), a very handy tool if you are heading down this road.

Yob

Thanks Yob, I'm really GREEN at this process so I'm sure I will stuff it at some point, I see the consensus is culturing so why not give it a go. I've only brewed 3 beers but the can and kilo although producing great beers, is not exciting me as much as experimenting with some different methods. With no disrespect to the C&K and those who really enjoy doing it, cause I love it.[lol] [love]

I bought two 2000 mL Erlenmeyer flasks from this guy on ebay. Good value. I use them for starters of liquid yeasts.

I just shook the crap out of it every hour or so and they worked a treat. I used information from Billy Broas re making yeast starters.

Am yet to do a culture from a coopers beer. I bought a slab with the intent of doing it - but I never got around to drinking 4 beers in one sitting [lol]

Adam you're a champion, exactly what I was looking for in the way of a flask (CHEAP) do you have a stir plate. Keen at looking at some different wiring schematics, I have seen them with diodes and heat sinks, I dont see the real need as I'm sure a 9V battery will not cause any problems but, hey I've never done one so we will soon see. Thanks again.

I think i'm completely confusing myself now. Watched and studied too much and over complicated it. To make a yeast starter from 6 coopers pale ale bottles I understand fridge the bottles let the yeast settle, pour off the beer swirl the remainder and it can be poured into a communal sterilised jar. Make a wort, mix the two and there is a starter, BUT. How do I know how many billion cells I have and if I have enough or too much yeast for say an ale. Does too much yeast cause a problem when added to the wort in the FV. aaaarrrrgggghhhhh confuscious say head overloaded with info.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. But the steps you listed are spot on.

Bloody hell you're diving head first into this hobby aren't ya! At this rate you'll have purchased a 20L Braumeister in no time (my most lusted after item).

If you don't know what a Braumeister is, google Speidel Braumeister. I want one so friggen bad!!!

Very like me to dive head first [lol] I figure lets make the best from the start. Watching more youtube but not finding what I want. I know how to make the starter but is there a coopers figure on x bottles = yeast quantity for SG. what a shambles of a formula but hey it might just work [lol]

I think i'm completely confusing myself now. Watched and studied too much and over complicated it. To make a yeast starter from 6 coopers pale ale bottles I understand fridge the bottles let the yeast settle' date=' pour off the beer swirl the remainder and it can be poured into a communal sterilised jar. Make a wort, mix the two and there is a starter, BUT. How do I know how many billion cells I have and if I have enough or too much yeast for say an ale. Does too much yeast cause a problem when added to the wort in the FV. aaaarrrrgggghhhhh confuscious say head overloaded with info.[/quote']

Listen to the podcast Ive linked for you above, it has all the information you need in it... it is a very comprehensive show.

and also, start using Mr Malty (also linked above) and get to know it, it is an invaluable tool when working with Yeast.

Yob

I always look forward to your replies Muddy, their like a box of chocolates LOL [lol] [lol] [lol] I am having the feeling that I too may end up just leaving it in the brew shed for now. I need more experience with certain basics firsts. Although I might try it when cultivating the Coopers bottled yeast just as a trial thing because I can. Did you make yours Muddy be keen to see photos of the wiring setup. [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for something to build and this seemed like a nice way to waste an evening.

Using a fan from an old PC case, magnet from an old HardDrive, Wires from what was left of the junk PC and a random 12v power supply for God-knows-what.

Bought the box, the power connector and the speed control for about 12Euro total.

I need a proper flask and a stirbar (using the top off an icing gun at the moment and its not balanced, so klinks a bit)

Took 2 and a bit hours to make from start to finish.

Go for it Benny, If you can make one, do it.

07082012217.jpg

Archived