Coopers Community

Czech Pils

ash

Wow that finished a really low FG. I haven't made that so can't say anything productive but I wouldn't have thought it would be that low.

I would have thought it would have finished around the 1012, but I don't know much about the coopers lager yeast as I brew ales.

Wow that finished a really low FG. I haven't made that so can't say anything productive but I wouldn't have thought it would be that low.

I would have thought it would have finished around the 1012, but I don't know much about the coopers lager yeast as I brew ales.

It is actually one of the lowest FG i have gotten Matty

Wow! that is indeed a low FG. Do you mind posting your recipe ? I've meaning to brew a Pilsner for quite q while now.

Thanks

Hi Kike it's in the How to Brew section under Featured Recipes,looking at the recipe again the ABV should be 5.2%

Ash, I really think you have something else happening there. The FG shouldn't be that low. At one time I was constantly getting 1.000 and lower and this turned out an issue with my cleaning chemicals etc. I changed this and all is good now.

My biggest change was discontinue the use of Sodium Metabisulphite and introducing Starsan and Sodium Percarbonate. The best thing I could have done for my brewery and a lot cheaper too.

Something is wrong for sure... what you have made (if readings are correct) is Hop flavoured water..

Remember water is 1.000

Wild yeast often can ferment down to that level so perhaps you have some sort of infection? Brewers Yeast have been selected to finish and leave some sugars behind.

Beer is always about the balance of malt flavor/ residual sweetness and Hop flavor.

Did you use any dry enzyme?

Yob

Something is wrong for sure... what you have made (if readings are correct) is Hop flavoured water..

Remember water is 1.000

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct. Doesn't alcohol have a lower SG than water? So if it contains alcohol then the rest of the liquid must have an SG higher than 1.000 to balnce it out. Or perhaps my reasoning is flawed [unsure]

But I understand where you are coming from. If the reading is 1.000 it would be a very thin beer.

I'm getting side tracked but, the specific gravity of ethyl alcohol is 0.789. This is used in the calculation where you can work out how many standard drinks are in a container. ie.

Volume of container in litres x ABV% x .789 = No. of standard drinks

eg. if having a 10oz glass (285ml) of 4.6% beer then the following is the equation:

.285 x 4.6 x .789 = 1.03 standard drinks

Sorry back on track now......

I used a dry enzyme in the beer i'm brewing now, it definately appears thin but the start SG was 1042 and 6 days brewing its down to 1010. Would a dry enzyme even make an SG as low as 1000, I wouldn't have thought so but being an amateur my research could be flawed.

Will have a taste in a couple of weeks & keep you informed.Could be i just need my eyes checked,heres hoping.

Remember water is 1.000

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct. Doesn't alcohol have a lower SG than water? So if it contains alcohol then the rest of the liquid must have an SG higher than 1.000 to balnce it out. Or perhaps my reasoning is flawed [unsure]

But I understand where you are coming from. If the reading is 1.000 it would be a very thin beer.

The Hydrometer is not measuring the Alcohol, it's measuring the residual sugar so a reading of 1.000 is reading no sugar right?

I get what you are saying but as I understand it, and if the hydrometer is accurate there is very little sugars left hence my statement about hop flavored water.

either way, It's going to be thin

Yob

I have a hydrometer , which is 6 gravity points out, maybe you have one of the dodgy one yourself .

You may have started higher than 1.042 if it was out of whack

Thanks Paul i should test mine what has the temp of water got to be for a test

My Czech Pills had OG 1046 FG 1006 after two weeks in FV

I had a clumping issue so the OG is not reliable

My OG was 1044 and FG is 1008, so I think your figures are pretty close. I too had a minor clumping issue.

It reached FG about 4 days ago, so bottling tomorrow.

Anyone tried one yet? Or too early?

I was in Prague 2 weeks ago and sampled some of their fine lagers. Holy crap are they good. Going to make myself some some soon I think. The best one I tried was Budweiser - the original Budweiser,from the town of the same name. It was so crisp and refreshing! Drank it straight from the bottle [love] [love] [love]

Archived