Coopers Community

GUSHING OF THE LAST 3 BATCHES

phAT YAK

Hi guys I have a good question for the aged brewers and is as follows; I recently decided to start to comsume some of my younger brews and have experienced a huge amount of gushing and in turn lifts the sediment of the bottom of the bottles. I am not doing anything different to what I normally do, My OG is 1040 and FG around 1010 - 1005 and 2 carbonation drops per 750ml bottle. My next question is, would the fluctuating temps in my garage be affecting my brews. I was opening a few a couple of weeks ago with no probs at all, but of lately the cold has been sudden in Newcastle and is <10 degrees at night and >18 degrees in the day.[pinched]

I've had this happen with my last two brews that I'm drinking currently, one is a Real Ale + 1kg BE2, the other one is an APA can + 1.5kg amber malt tin. They were left in primary for 2 weeks, fermentation was finished after about 8 days. When I open them all the bubbles go mental and form a huge head in the bottle, and also when I pour into the glass. It reminds me of a soft drink the way the gas behaves rather than beer. They are bottled in stubbies with 1 drop per bottle. This didn't happen with older batches done this way, and it hasn't happened with the ones I've bulk primed since either. I'd be interested also to know what might be causing this.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Have to agree with Yob, sounds like an infection there somewhere! Even if you rinse your bottles straight after use, they really should be thoroughly cleaned with bottle brush etc every few brews, build ups can happen that are hard to spot.

Thanks for the reply fellas! As always I double clean, scrub,and sanitise all bottles, although I do not rinse after applying spray and have only recently started to use the glass largies for bottling, that is the only thing that has changed at the Brick Works Brewing Shed.

Taps do get pulled apart and soaked in solution of brewcraft no rinse sanitiser 15 mins pryer to use. The only problem that I can see is with the sediment reducer that I am using is a bit ruff around the edges and may hold bacteria as it has nylon gauze and is hard to clean, but if this is the case wouldnt it effect the whole brew?

The only problem that I can see is with the sediment reducer that I am using is a bit ruff around the edges and may hold bacteria as it has nylon gauze and is hard to clean

That is easy to fix. Just get rid of the sediment reducer. You won't notice any difference at all (except one less piece of equipment to clean).

I dont know what temperature you were opening them at, but i had a few bottles (where I threw hops and hop teas directly into the bottle) and they did the exact same thing but after a good (freezer) chilling they opened without any problems and poured really well.

Unlikely, but possible...

Thanks LordEoin I gave it a try, although I didnt chill in freezer I just turn down bar fridge to coldest point and put one of the most volatile brews in and BOOM[biggrin] no reaction at all just a nice big PSSS. When I was testing them late last week I was testing straight from the locker (room temp) as I have always done, as you know it gives you a better idea of the flavour you may be likely to get before serious maturing.

Tastes "BURP" excuse me! great, carbonation a little fizzy but settles down after standing for a couple of mins. I mass pour into a 1.2 litre jug to avoid any sediment thus expelling some of that unwanted fizz 6/10 so far and can only get better with age.[biggrin]

Don't know about "gushing" but I have been doing a 2nd fermenting for 10 days and the amount of sediment in minimal. If the 1st fermenting is brewed right out and transferred to a secondary (i add 100g Dex at this point just to keep CO2 over the top of the beer), the bottles are almost clear when bottled. I allow for the 100g of Dex being added by leaving that amount out of the 1st fermenting.

Weggl

Archived