Coopers Community

CAN SG GO BACK UP?

SEAHOUND

G'Day Fellow Brewers,

I have had the strange occurence of the SG in my beer going back up? Its a Brewers selection Porter with pride of ringwood hops and S-04 yeast, the temp has been consistent around 18-19deg and its been down for 5 days, started at 1042 went down to 1014 yesterday but today the reading was 1016. I did the reading the same way both days. Any ideas?

Just leave the beer in the test tube for a couple of hours and see what the reading is. The only way it can go back up is if you add more stuff to the brew or the yeast gets stirred through the brew.

if the SG stays the same, could it be possible that the reading you took yesterday was recorded incorrectly.

Remember to calibrate your hydrometer as well. it should read 1.000 in diluted water.

BTW Welcome to the forums.

Given your temps are stable there is probably an error with one of your readings.

The only way it would go back up is if you added something extra to the wort or a major difference in the temperature of each reading.

Edit: damn, you are too quick Matty.

I was getting some weird hydrometer readings when I first started. All solved now...do you always discard the first bit of the sample? I always do half a tube and dump it then wash re-fill there was sometimes a 10 point difference before I started doing this. There is often some stuff caught up in the tap that is heavier than everything else. Try doing that...maybe you just caught a little bit of the harder stuff from the bottom when you tested?

OK Thanks for the replies, I think the idea that sediment is "clogging" my sample makes sense, I did notice some in the bottom of my hydometer tube, so I will try and make sure its a clean sample tomorrow.

As others have said, your SG wont go up unless you add more ingredients to your brew. Run your first sample off and dislodge the bubbles to read from your second sample.

Some people pour the sample between a couple of containers to degas it. I don't but this is another option.

Archived