Coopers Community

Temp controlled fridge - What do i need?

HenrikF

Hi all

I'm getting to where i'm looking into making a temp controlled fridge, and I read all these great post, but can anyone help me with links to things on ebay?

And maybe a few pictures or a guide on how to assemble..

By my gestimate I need the following:

1 fridge

1 temp controller????

1 heating pad????

The fridge will do the cooling to accomidate the cold conditioning, but how to heat to 18-20 c? (And keep it there..)

Please help[crying]

Have a search on ebay (or any one of 1000 topics here) for stc 1000.. These are the goods.. AHB has an awesome topic for the same which has many pictures that show how they are wired up, bill has a thread here somewhere with a full parts list, heatpad, belts,light bulb and pot for heating, the choice is yours.. Sorry cant post links but a bit of a search through a few pages for related questions by others will turn up all the into you need.

Yob

You want a decent size fridge/chest freezer enough to fit at least one fermenter and 30 bottles. If getting a fridge try to get one without a freezer. Temp controller , that depends if someone or yourself can wire one up, if so they can be bought on ebay cheaply $25. Beware they run on mains power so you need to know what your doing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Digital-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-/270647729865?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3f03dc9ec9#ht_4211wt_952

There are various other types and another thread here somewhere about the different ones people use.

Temp controllers can also be bought at LHBS but the price will jump to ummmm think last time I looked they were about $130.

For heating I use a simple light globe, others use heat belts and pads.

I wired mine up using the following diagram

stc1000.png

Essentially where the heat and cool is, i spent $10 or something like that and got myself a powerpoint (I got one that had independent power to each socket as most have one power which is then split inside the point). I wired it up with the same diagram but didn't have anything for heat and cool.

This way I don't need to cut the cord of a fridge and a heat source to get it to work with the controller. Just plug it in like you do with a wall. I will take some pictures of it later on.

Also I hit it with the test and tagger to make sure that it earths properly and to standard. Don't want any accidents happening.

Everything you need to know right here including easy to follow wiring diagram for STC1000.

Nevertheless, I have copied and paste the following from one of my old posts... check the links for more info...

I have the Reptile Heat Cord and personally think it is safer than some other items. Can buy them on Ebay.

To save members here repeating themselve, check these sites for your info.

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&m=30799

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=3042

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=3515&p=2

There are others but these will probably benefit the most.

bugger. wish I'd read this thread earlier. I got an already assembled temp controller from keg king in Melbourne (they posted to Canberra) for 70 bucks.

the heat belt cost me 20 bucks from the same place.

bugger. wish I'd read this thread earlier. I got an already assembled temp controller from keg king in Melbourne (they posted to Canberra) for 70 bucks.

the heat belt cost me 20 bucks from the same place.

You paid $70 and you are still alive.

I had a sparky mate wire mine. If had to wire mine myself I would have been fried a long time ago.

And I can't die yet, I need to get my post count up (this post will help).

Archived