Coopers Community

Bulk Priming

Otto Von Blotto

I just bottled my Centenarillo Ale on Saturday, (forgot to taste test, woops.) Anyway, now that I have two fermenters I decided to use my old one to bulk prime with dextrose. This is the first time I've bulk primed a brew, and apart from it being easier to control carb levels, no issues with different bottle sizes and being cheaper, I was pleased with how much quicker the bottling process became. It costs me $3 for a 1 kg pack of dex, that'd probably give me around 6 batches worth, instead of $3 for a pack of drops that only gives me one batch.

I'll be doing it this way from now on unless I get behind in supply and have both fermenters going at once. I was always interested in trying it once I heard about it but only had one FV. I put down a TC Aussie Bitter just with the tin of malt extract after bottling, 24 hours later it was going well with a big layer of foam on top. I think I've almost caught up with my empty bottles now!

Cheers,

Kelsey

Same here Kels. Done about 4 or 5 bulk primed now, and it's killer. I also found as an unexpected bonus, that my beers are tasting different (better) due to lower levels of carbonation. Not sure why this is but the excessive gas seems to carry away some of the flavour? I'm trying to finish off all of my pre-bulk priming batches so I can start drinking them at a ripe old age, but they seem to keep jumping the queue![happy] [love] [happy] [love]

bulk priming is the way to go, especially if brewing beer with more hops, the flavour from hops is an oil and therefore trying to separate itself from beer every second, the last chance it gets to escape before we drink it is in the head, so you may be very well right your beers are tasting better with lower carbonation. I also find to much 'sparkling' or bubbles in the mouth hide flavour.

Yeah I've got 3 pre-bulk priming batches to get through before I get to this Centenarillo. It will especially come in handy bulk priming when I get around to doing stouts, the lighter style ales I didn't mind with the drops, but I'll probably experiment with different amounts of dex to see what I like best in different styles. All about experimentation! :)

Cheers,

Kelsey

Bulk priming is the way to go when you are bottling a whole batch.

When I first started bulk primimg I thought I would never need the drops again. As soon as I started kegging I found that I wanted them again. I keg the 19L and then use the drops for the extra couple of litres.

Good place to get an extra bucket for this is to go to Bunnings and get a water container. They work great.

interesting, I think until the level rises above the tap level you actually get more splashing. After that I cant see much difference. As long as you coil the hose correctly there is hardly any splashing at all. I'll give it a go though next brew. Cheerz for the link!

Thanks, Gavin

Archived