Coopers Community

Tooheys Home Brew

GarethB1

Expanding on my last post, I (sorry Mr Coopers) tried a Tooheys Home Brew recently, their "Special Lager".

It was a disaster. Truly my first bad homebrew experience, in that all of the Coopers stuff I've done up until now has been drinkable and enjoyable despite being a novice at homebrewing.

Anyone had any similar failures or successes with their stuff?

Done all their brew kits and never really had much success with them at all, I either blame the yeast or the fact that there made in New Zealand. Although I think Steinlager tastes better than Tooheys New and they come from the same company...go figure

Simply because this is a coopers forum i'll say that all Cooper's kits are superior...

nah, depending on taste some other producer's kits might suit individuals better, but i've never had a problem with any cooper's kit (apart from the ginger neer) and the only reason i'd consider another manufacturer is if coopers didnt have the style i wanted.

If you have a bad experiende with a brand, stay away from that brand.

Depends how you utilise it...

I would imagine the kit + a kilo of sugar + the under-pitching with their weak-ass ale yeast fermented at 24c would make a VERY ordinary brew.

I once bought 2 cans when it was around $8 on special and used it for yeast starters

I brewed one in January, I think it was the Special Lager too, nothing special about it at all, it was drinkable but I wouldn't make it again. Mind you, since then I've learned more about using malts and hops and better temp control so all my brews since have turned out nicely. All Coopers too[wink]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Archived