Coopers Community

brewing temp

stever13

hi all i have a question . how do i know what temp to brew at with different types of beer say larger or dark ale ect. is it the yeast that is what changes the temp you need to brew at. and how do i know what yeast to use if i had a can with no yeast with it.[unsure]

Hi Steve,

Basically you want to ferment at 18\xb0-20\xb0C with ale yeast, and 12\xb0-14\xb0C with lager yeast. There is a thread that explains which yeast is in which brew cans.

Which one did you get that had no yeast? I think you can email Coopers and they'll send out some replacement yeast, not sure of the address though.

I've got a bit of a question myself regarding this.. what temp is best for the ale+lager yeast blend? [unsure]

Cheers,

Kelsey

I've got a bit of a question myself regarding this.. what temp is best for the ale+lager yeast blend?

I would use it at the same ale temps that you mentioned in your post ie. 18-20 degrees.

I wouldn't try to make a lager with it. Part lager yeast in a 7g packet would be a massive under-pitch for a lager.

hi mate as im only new to this brewing iv been only using the can of coopers beer mix i really dont know what you really call it and i have been using the yeast that comes in the can. with a number 2 brew enhancer mix. thanks for your help mate.

steve

I've got a bit of a question myself regarding this.. what temp is best for the ale+lager yeast blend?

I would use it at the same ale temps that you mentioned in your post ie. 18-20 degrees.

I wouldn't try to make a lager with it. Part lager yeast in a 7g packet would be a massive under-pitch for a lager.

I have brewed my sparkling ale at 18 - 20 it has the lager/ale blend and it turned out wicked

ok so if i was to buy some larger yeast do i brew at around 9 to 15 ? and where do i buy it. do i just ask for a larger yeast?

There isn't a huge variety of dry lager yeast. The main two would be the Saflager ones:

S-23

W-34/70

I recently used this in a Pilsner, fermented at 12 degrees and it turned out very nice:

Swiss Lager Yeast

Wayne, Sorry I've probably missed something but.

I just came home with a kit of Heritage Larger. The instructions say to brew between 21-27 but it will still run at 13. Is this what you call lager/ale yeast? If so should I try for 14-16 degrees?

Wayne, Sorry I've probably missed something but.

I just came home with a kit of Heritage Larger. The instructions say to brew between 21-27 but it will still run at 13. Is this what you call lager/ale yeast? If so should I try for 14-16 degrees?

The Heritage Lager comes with the Lager/Ale yeast.

If you want to make an ale then ferment it around 18-20 degrees.

If you wish to make a lager then ditch the kit yeast, get yourself some true lager yeast (2 packets is best) and ferment at lager temperatures.

Welcome to the Forum Tom!

Your cooling device looks good. I like the continuous flow of water on the FV.

A question though. I watched your video about installing the airlock but my question is why did you do it? [unsure]

It sort of defeats the purpose of buying the Coopers DIY kit.

Archived