Coopers Community

New recipes

PatrickP3

Hi there!

My name is Patrick im 20 years old and in july i turn 21. For my 21st party i plan on having a minimum of 200 beers brewed. So far i have:

26 Longnecks of Lager (Brew enhancer 1).

4 Longnecks of Irish Stout (500G Light Dry Malt, 300G Dextrose).

44 Stubbies of Irish Stout (500G Light Dry Malt, 300G Dextrose).

I am brewing up Pale Ale with 500G of Light Dry Malt and 250G of Dextrose.

After that i plan on trying this recipe and i would really appriciate feedback on it.

Dark Ale with 500G Honeymalt/Blonde Malt and 500G Dextrose.

I would also like some new recipes to try. I am fairly new to brewing this is only my 4th brew.

Here is what i have tryed so far:

1: Draught with Brew Enhancer 1 - Turned out alright it tasted like Caltron Draught mixed with VB.

2: Lager with Brew Enhancer 1 - I only bottled the lager about 10 days ago but i did give it a small taste before bottling it, it was quite nice.

3: Irish Stout with 500G Light Dry Malt and 300G of Dextrose - I bottled this roughly 10 hours before making this thread. I gave it a quick taste and it was similar to guiness but not quite as nice hopefully the fermentation in the bottle with alter it.

4: Pale Ale with 500 Light Dry Malt and 250G of Dextrose - Started brewing this earlier today.

Try the English Bitter Kit.

It's good as standard, but easy to mess around with hops if you want

The Mexican Cerveza is a good all-rounder. It will keep a lot of people happy.

The Wheat beer is awesome, maybe use Wb06 yest to turn it into a Hefeweizen and amaze your mates with your pro brewskillz.

Otherwise, just pick whatever makes you thirsty just looking at the can [biggrin]

Lots of recipes here LINKY LINK

Welcome Patrick.

When I was 20 turning 21 I hadn't yet developed a palate for hoppy beers. VB and Carlton Draught were staples, and now I won't touch them with a 30 foot pole. Unless I'm at the footy cos that's all you can get [bandit]

What beers do you and your mates like to drink? That will help determine what to mate. Unlesss of course you just wanna go crazy and make beers you haven't even heard of - that's what I'm doing tomorrow [lol]

The hefeweizen that Eoin mentioned is pretty good and easy. Just use a hefeweizen yeast and that will make a traditional German Hefewezien or Weissbier (depending on which part of Germany it's from). I bottle one last night and already it smells and tastes just like the real thing.

If you can move away from the Brew 'enhancers' and use more malt your beers will improve 10 fold.

Your dex additions are pretty good at 300g, I never go above this amount as it thins the resulting beer a bit much for my taste.

adding some grains will go a long way to freshen up the kit brews.

Do you have temp control? This is one of the best things you can do for your yeast and resulting beers, minimal temp fluctuation is the goal here.

Hops Hops Hops and maybe some more Hops [lol]

Try dry hopping your beers to start with, you will simply be amazed at what a handful of hops can add to a brew. A general rule of thumb is add 1g per Litre when your gravity hits about 1.020.

The next thing to look into, as suggested above, is using a specialty yeast for the brew, english beer = english yeast, Pale Ales = US05 etc.. get into liquid yeast down the track a bit.

Welcome and good luck.

Yob

The last kit brew I did was this one,

Coopers Draught Can

1000g DME

250 Dex

JW Pale Malt 1000g (mashed 60 min)

JW Wheat Malt (mashed 60 min)

Caramalt 200g

30 Chinook @ 30 min

10 Citra @ 10

10 Citra @ 5

15 Galaxy @ 0

+ Yeast Nutrient with US-05

You see? Ive mellowed a bit [lol]

Its at 2 monyhs of age... it's not going to make it to 3 [roll]

Yob

edit: I never put it through IanH's spreadsheet but I think it was about 1054 finished @ 1012 and about 5.2% ABV or there abouts..

[bandit]

Thanks for all the replys.

Since i am fairly new to brewing im not exactly sure what everything means but i get the basic jist.

With hops my brother had told me to stear clear because he has tryed several times with his friends and never once did it work.

To answer the other question for the most part its normally either Tooheys Old or Tooheys New (I personally prefer Old).

I have been trying to move away from the Brew Enhancer.

TBC

What parts are unclear? Best to get a general understanding early [happy]

This is just a simple guide in simple English, but pretty foolproof, and open to criticism and correction [lol]

Hops:

If you're wary of using hops, just try a hop 'teabag' in a brew first so you get to know the smell and taste. You basically just make a mug of tea (no milk or sugar lol) with it and dump the liquid and bag into the brew.

Maybe start with cascade for ale, goldings for bitter, fuggles for stout/porter.

Everyone has their own preference, but this seems to be a good place to start.

Yeast:

The yeast that comes with the tin is fine. No need to change it if you want to keep things simple (but more in my temperature section).

Temperature:

Different yeasts work best at different temperatures but if you can keep your brew at about 18C you're generally on a winner.

Put a strip thermometer on your bucket, they're cheap and awesome.

Rough best yeast temps

Wheat beer yeast (eg wb-06): 18-24C

Ale yeast (eg us-o5): 15-18 C

Lager yeast (eg S-23): 12 - 15 C

Sugars/fermentables:

I totally agree with Yob, 300g dextrose is a good limit.

It's just there to boost the Alcohol content.

If you think something needs more than that, just add more dry malt.

BE1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

BE2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

Brewing sugar- dextrose and maltodextrin

Maltodextrin has virtually no taste (sweetness). improves the head and mouthfeel. Doesnt ferment.

Again, if you want to keep it simple, i find that 500g/1kg Dry Malt and 300g dextrose is pretty safe for most kits.

Some recipes call for a 1.5kg tin of Malt Extract (syrup), 1.1kg of similar light/dark Dry malt will be fine if you want to keep cost down.

When using dry malt, put it into the FV (fermentation vessel, bucket) dry, add 2 liters water off the boil and swirl it around until the lumps are gone, otherwise you'll end up with a mess of lumps if stirring (will annoy your OG (original gravity) reading.

Priming:

Carbonation drops are simple.

1 per stubby

1.5 per 500ml

2 per 700/750ml

Its only a matter of time until someone recommends bulk-priming.

If you have 2 FVs, put the sugar in the empty one, raise the full one, connect the taps with tubing, turn taps on and let gravity do the work.

The trub (yeast on the bottom) stays in the first FV, sugar disolves equally, bottle.

Cleaning:

The most important thing is to spend enough time sterilizing EVERYTHING! Better to add 30 minutes cleaning than to dump a whole batch.

Rinse bottles after pouring to stop yeast drying on.

Don't scratch your FV, Scratches hold germs, use a soft sponge.

Airlock:

Soothing sound, like waves lapping on lake shore, but don't trust it to tell you when you're ready to bottle.

Hydrometer:

Your best friend.

If you're going to stick with home brewing, invest in a sweet one (or two, the glass ones are fragile) and a trial jar that would make Professor Beaker jealous. You'll feel like a Nobel Beer Prize Winner.

Should read 1.000 in water at 20C

The important part...

What date is your birthday?

How many FVs do you have?

200 of what size bottle?

AdamH mentioned VB, and got me thirsty...

To the BatFridge for an English Bitter (highly recommended)! [biggrin]

103 edits later, this is not how i imagined my friday night. I only logged in to save a Cerveza recipe. I'm saving this post for later...

307 edits later, I think this should be included in every tin[biggrin]

If you just want to stick with what you know, try making the Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter or the Draught cans (there's an Original Series and also a Thomas Coopers Traditional).

Drinking beer is my forte - brewing not so much yet.

I think if you're not used to drinking hoppy beers, then adding hops to your homebrew might be too big a step, and will lead you to think that it "didn't work".

Start trying different beers and you eventually won't go back to the big Australian breweries beers which are pretty much just full of chemical preservatives [sick] - that's why you get bad headache's from them.

I think Coopers is a good start to break out of that - Pale Ale and Sparking Ale mmmm. Try their Dark Ale too if you like the Toohey's Old [ninja] . Then you could always shock the tastebuds with a Little Creatures [lol] - it's a really hoppy beer.

I don't know what Honeymalt is Pat, but a Coopers Original Series Dark Ale with a 1.5kg tin of Dark Malt extract and 250g Dextrose will absolutely blow your mind if you like dark beer[happy]. Simple to make, soft and velvety - drool!!!

I agree about the hops. Try some hoppy beers like LCPA and Fat Yak from the grog shop to make sure they agree with your palette, then dive in!!

Best of luck mate!

Phil

Forgot to mention mate. There's a little gold nugget nestled in with the rest of the Coopers International Series called English Bitter. It's my favourite brew of all time, even without all the additions that I make nowadays. Just brew that one with a kg of light dry malt and 250g Dex with the kit yeast and you'll have everyone going nuts over it. It's dark copper coloured with a thick head and the aroma is to die for. Just my opinion.

yeah my plan is to do an english bitter after the dark ale. ETA roughly 5-6 weeks.

My 21st is in mid july. and 200 bottles in general whether they are subbies or long necks.

Honeymalt im not sure what it is exactly i went and visited my brothers friend (they use to make it when they were in their early 20s) i picked up some stuff he said was more or less the same thing its called "japanese blonde malt"

Ok so with this dark ale that ill be starting in estimated 10 days time what should i put in it? at the moment its going to be

500G Blonde Malt and 300G Dex.

should i try to get 500g of light dry malt or dark malt to put in it as well?

I had a look on the interwebs, and Japanese Blonde Malt is apparently rice malt. Might be nice in a pale beer (there's a vietnamese lager I drink when we're out which has rice malt in it and it rocks[biggrin]) but I wouldn't use it in a dark beer.

Just try a 1.5kg can of dark malt extract and 300g Dextrose. It'll be fantastic.

oh thanks alot Philbo!

I am pretty limited to what i can get where i live (Campbelltown) theres only 2 places (That i know of) where i can buy beer stuff.

K-Mart has a few things namely just crowns, carbonation drops, plastic bottles (i use glass), brew enhancers (no longer use them), and a few coopers mixes namely Real ale, Draught, Lager, Mexican, English bitters, european lager, Candian blonde.

The other shop has quite a few things few different malts, various beer mixes, glass bottles, crowns, drops ECT ECT.

At the moment they dont have any dark ale he is currentily ordering in some more Blackrock Dark ale. My brother said Blockrock Dark was the best he had.

I picked up English Bitters today to do after this pale ale.

What would you recommend in that? At the moment its gonna be 1kg light dry malt and 300g dex.

If you can get your hands on a hop teabag, throw it in, goldings or fuggles seem to work well

It's a great kit, 1kg malt and 300g dex will be fine on its own.

try keep it around 20-21C and you can't go wrong.

Wait until you smell this stuff...

Your whole house will smell amazing [biggrin]

I'd go with light dry malt. I've made a couple of EB kits, first one was with 500g LDM, turned out bloody nice. The second one I put in a kg of it but way overdid the hops or it got infected or something I'm not sure.. it's not very nice because of that, but that's not to say it's a bad kit. I'll definitely make it again!

Cheers,

Kelsey

Hi Pat.

I've done a fair few EBs now, the recipe I now stick to is EB Kit, 1kg light dry malt extract and 250g Dex with Fuggles hops (boiled, steeped AND dry hopped - love Fuggles [happy])

The 500g LDM + 300g Dex will make a damn nice drop though, and the alcohol content will be a little more sensible than mine [innocent]

Archived