Coopers Community

A massive brew fan!

charlierose

Hi everyone. I don't have the luxury of owning my own kit (YET) but thankfully I am able to use my brother in laws when he has no brews going.

I am itching for my birthday as my family are pitching in to give me some cash towards my new hobby (obsession)so I can get all the gear to have it going all the time.

In the mean time I have set up a blog to track all of my brews and anything else I am doing that associates with brewing. If you have time feel free to pop on over and have a look and leave any comments of things that have/ haven't worked for you.

I will also be on the forum to read and share thoughts.

http://homebrewandgardening.wordpress.com/

Cheers.

Thanks for that Brock M.

I have got my Father in Law to start also but as all his kids have flown the coup he has a bit more time and $$ to start up and what he has in store is awesome.

Keep an eye out on the blog for updates as he starts to set his Man Cave up. [happy]

If you are going to start brewing in the shed I suggest the most important thing you need to do is to think about your temperature control. Winter is coming on so maybe some sort of heating device will be needed.

I can't recommend high enough, looking for a fridge and convert that to help your temps.

Anyhow, welcome and best of luck with it.

I have enough room in the house to get things started, and as I do more and more I will look at fixing up the shed to store outside. Unless I can talk my wife in to letting me use the linen cupboard as it is perfect size to fit a heap of gear in there.

If you are going to start brewing in the shed I suggest the most important thing you need to do is to think about your temperature control.

Given that the thread title suggested to me that this thread would be some new fangled way to keep your brews at 18 degrees in warm weather, could i suggest this as the OPs temp controller?

o_P288459.jpg

HAHAHAHA!

I have just had a look in the dining/ kitchen area of the house and then spoke with the wife and I am going to build a dedicated brew area (pantry-esque)in the dining room.

Has anybody done anything like this, or have any suggestions?

Andy' date=' you're not related to Hairy are you?[/quote']

Andy, my long lost brother [biggrin]

That is exactly the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. I just couldn't be stuffed looking for a picture.

I'm the lazy one in the family.

HAHAHAHA!

I have just had a look in the dining/ kitchen area of the house and then spoke with the wife and I am going to build a dedicated brew area (pantry-esque)in the dining room.

Get a fridge!!.. brew in the fridge!!... it hides everything away and keeps correct temps for your brew and only takes up a little footprint of space. It will also blend into the dinning room.

There, you have my suggestion again. [rightful]

HAHAHAHA!

Get a fridge!!.. brew in the fridge!!... it hides everything away and keeps correct temps for your brew and only takes up a little footprint of space. It will also blend into the dinning room.

There, you have my suggestion again. [rightful]

Ok. I will have a look in to a fridge. Any tips on the specifics? Size, age, any little extras?

I am very appreciative of your help..[cool]

Get the cheapest working fridge you can find. (you can always paint it if need be). Considering it is for the dining room I'd just get the smallest fridge possible but it will need to house your fermenter so make sure that fits inside. No need for the freezer part as it is not used. Maybe a bar fridge is another option. Nevertheless, don't spend a lot on the fridge, you should be able to pick one up for $0-$50. (I got 3 of my fridges for less than $100 all up.)

Do a google search for STC1000 or temp controllers and use one of these to control your fridge temp. Power consumption should not be an issue as the fridge will not be on all the time.

If you are not confident wiring your own controller then I suggest to get one already done from Keg King.

Trust me, if you can set up a fridge then most of your future problems will be resolved and your beer will be so much better.

I want to buy your women... sell them to me. Sell me your SWMBO!

SWMBO??

SWMBO??

She Who Must Be Obeyed

She goes by many names. But this is the most politically correct on the boards [devil]

Right. Thanks for the clarification. She is being very accommodating. We are expecting baby #2 so my main hobby of golf was going to be too expensive so I made a deal with her that I would start home brewing instead (cheaper in the long run).

Mate, sell them... here you can have mine!!.. and the baggage that comes with her [unsure] [roll]

Archived