Coopers Community

Huge mistake.. Please help..

HenrikF

So yesterday i put down the fruit salad ale, but between our 3 month old and SWMBO they must have disturbed me enough to make a mistake..

At 2 o'clock last night i woke up screaming (true story;) was the fruit salad ale only supposed to go up to 21 liters?? Grapped my phone to search the recipe.. Yep..

Damn I made it to 23 liters[crying] Did add 250 grams of glucose though..

Should i do something? It's propably going to be OK right?

I still have 70 grams of Cascade and Amarillo dried hops to spare, should I dry hop to make up?

Hope you lovely beermaking people have some ideas, or at least some comforting words..[love]

Thanks in advance[biggrin]

I wouldn't worry about that at all. The beer should taste very good at 23 litres, what with the 1 kg of DME and 50 grams of hops. Don't sweat it, man. And the glucose you added makes up for the lost alcohol, too! [devil]

Thanks you guys, I figured it wasn't all that bad..[biggrin]

And some how I knew Yob would back me up on the dryhopping[bandit] Should I mix the two? say 15 g of each Yob? And just throw them in at day 2-3 after initial fermentation?

I pondered about it clogging the tap for ages then when i finally went commando style as they say had no problem 3 times now.

The first time i noticed all the hop matter floating at the top as it normaly does and as i moved the fv from its water bucket to chest freezer where i bottle some sunk down. I bottled fine using sedement reducer maby the last few bottles were a bit hoppier and i lost some beer due to where the hops were thick but most of it stuck to the fv wall on way down as bottled.

The next few times i sanastised a house hold strainer and dug the hops out to make cleaning easier and not the loss of beer not that it was much. If you do this be ready for mess unless have a better set up than me.

The next few times i sanastised a house hold strainer and dug the hops out to make cleaning easier and not the loss of beer not that it was much. If you do this be ready for mess unless have a better set up than me.

Blink blink.... WTF?

So' date=' I've been reading a bit on the web, and it seems alot of people just chuck in the hops day 3-4-ish.. Mine is dried flowers, is that any different then using pellets?[/quote']

In this case it is best to use a bag, loosely tied and with a weight in it, something stainless and sanitised, like a spoon or two, marbles, anything to make the bag sink, dried flowers tend to float so you need to get em down the bottom.

Yob

Blink blink.... WTF?

For the love of god Jimmy! Tell us it aint so [crying]

what isnt so digging them out with strainer before bottoling? why does it matter i dont CC so it doesnt all sink to bottom this is reason for this.

Its strange that people say strain boiled hops into Fv but then go camando while dry hopping and leave it whats the reason for this? either way i find both leaving and not leaving them in seem to work just leave long enought to settle before bottoling.

Last time I dry hopped a brew I used a bag for them, some of it still escaped the bag, but I only found the first 4 or 5 bottles had any hop matter in them, the rest were as normal. So it's no big deal for me. Wouldn't it stir up the trub and stuff by digging them out too?

Cheers,

Kelsey

No not the trub only skimmed off what was at the top perhaps i worded wrong by saying dig them out. It mixed the brew a little at top but waited an hour before bottoling after done it to let settle. From now on i know ill be leaving it and just spending longer to clean fv afterwards just putting different options out there i think they all work fine depends on preferance

anything floating on the surface will be drawn to the side because of surface tension on the top of the beer... no need to skim.

I totally read it as though you were diggin it up from the bottom[roll]

Yob

Yob, you've just convinced me to try dry hopping without a bag. Boiling the bag every time to sanitize it isn't really that big of an ordeal, but rinsing the damn thing afterwards is a kind of a pain in the ass. [annoyed]

I've only done a few brews with added hops, and each time I've tied the pellets up in a chux, steeped them in near boiling water, then chucked the whole bunch, bag and all, into the brew before pitching the yeast. Can I just ask those more experienced, what is the difference (in the resulting beer) between the way I've been doing it and dry hopping?

BTW, my last effort was an all malt pale ale with NS hops and it smells and tastes awesome. I know word on the street is NS is a bit overpowering, but it suits me just fine. [happy]

Archived