Coopers Community

Hops: question

SeanS4

Hi All, I'm a novice, about to put down brew number 10 in a few days. Lots of talk on here about hops and various ways to put them in the mix. Can anyone recommend two (or more) beers that I can buy at a local bottle shop, so I can taste the difference between hops and no hops (or as close as possible to either extreme) in a similar style of beer?? I'm in VIC, Australia. Thx.

Mountain goat steam ale V's Coopers pale ale

Coopers has a bittering addition only

MGSA is my new favorite on tap at the local, I do note that this beer changes from month to month both in flavour and in colour, perhaps they are still tweaking the recipe, I really enjoy the subtle ballence with this beer and the hops shining through..

Mmmmmm hops[love]

Find an India Pale Ale (IPA) Sean - that's hops in a glass pretty much. Delicious on a warm day. It has a lot of bitterness from hops, as well as flavour and aroma generally.

I love LCPA too, especially when you're at the brewery in Freo sitting out over the water with friends on a hot afternoon - maybe Yob hasn't experienced that slice of paradise? [lol] I think the LCPA is a great example for getting the aroma from the hops.

I agree with yob on Fat Yak. Makes my tummy [sick]

+1 for LCPA and Fat Yak as an introduction to hops. My first recollection of a Craft Beer (apart from 2MT) was Fat Yak on tap at a nice roof top beer garden in Albury. Not long after the kids gave me my Coopers DIY kit I had SWMBO buy me a carton of LCPA. By doing this you get two sets of appreciation, the first is the Cascade hop the second is at $72 a carton you are going to save a lot of cash if you can make this stuff yourself. Then there is the challenge of not only matching the LCPA and Yaks of this world but also actually producing something that's even better, and then you forget about the saving cash bit.

A Corona barely has any hops in it.

Corona barely has any beer in it [cool]

A Stone & Wood Pacific Ale compared to Coopers Pale Ale give a good comparison regarding hops. Stone & Wood is just a pale ale with Galaxy hops.

A Corona barely has any hops in it.

Corona barely has any beer in it [cool]

A Stone & Wood Pacific Ale compared to Coopers Pale Ale give a good comparison regarding hops. Stone & Wood is just a pale ale with Galaxy hops.

lol can't argue with that comment!

Cheers to all for the recommendations and help[biggrin] , my regular bottle shop didn't have an India Pale Ale, Mountain Goat, or Stone & Wood. I came out with a CPA, Fat Yak, LCPA, and the guy in the shop - when he worked out what I was doing - made me take a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from USA, at 5.6%, "bottle conditioned and made with whole hops". Plus a Corona for rinsing!

After a swig each of CPA and Yak, I can already taste the difference. Noticed that the Yak lost it's head in 5 seconds flat. CPA still has nice head after 20 mins.

Sierra Nevada head disappeared quick too, but the taste and aroma exploded (in a good way)... very, very good.

LCPA: head gone quick again (must be a hops thing??) and I think that LCPA sits somewhere between the other two in terms of flavour and aroma.

What I have learnd is that I can stil type after a fewb eers. And that hops will be featuring in the next brew. There's still a place for CPA though, and I wonder if the USA beer would get a bit tedious after a few... maybe, maybe not...

Cheers [happy]

You should keep in touch with your bottle shop guy - Sierra Nevada (and their Pale Ale) was one of the pioneers of the resurgence of craft brewing in the USA and probably influenced a lot of the brewers that have pushed the boundaries with hop use. But as you've found, a pale ale (Coopers) that has no aroma hops, but gets most of its character from the yeast, is also a cracker of a beer. Isn't beer great?

You should keep in touch with your bottle shop guy - Sierra Nevada (and their Pale Ale) was one of the pioneers of the resurgence of craft brewing in the USA and probably influenced a lot of the brewers that have pushed the boundaries with hop use. But as you've found' date=' a pale ale (Coopers) that has no aroma hops, but gets most of its character from the yeast, is also a cracker of a beer. Isn't beer great?[/quote']

Will do... well said. Can't agree that beer is great though. Great doesn't really cover it [smile] .

I got a chance to try Mountain Goat (on tap) and Stone & Wood earlier (The Sporting Inn / Club in Brunswick, with Coopers sign outside and a selection of great beers on tap), both very nice, the S&W fruity aroma was a nice surprise [smile] happy days...

Well last night I had a few to taste the difference. I had Coopers Green, Fat Yak and Little Creatures Pale Ale. I liked them all but my favourite was the Fat Yak. I have to say I wasn't impressed at all by the LCPA.

So I am now excited with my brew with the cascade hops currently [biggrin]

Archived