Coopers Community

Mid-Strength recipe advice

hudsonf

hi there ive been trying to create a mild about 4% bottled beer with no sediment.i used coopers european lager,and after fermenting for ten days the fg reading was in the low end of the green beer mark on my hydrometer it smelled and looked like good beer. i used Sodium metabisulphite to stop it fermenting any further as i wanted to keep the av at around 4%. i bottled my brew using coopers carbonising drops. this is my first attempt at making beer and im now thinking by killing the yeast ive ruined the whole batch.could you please tell me if you think the carb drops will work with no yeast in the bottles thanks hudson

WTF did you do with the Metabisulphate?

It is wise not to stop the yeast doing their job if you have no experience. It is likely that it could start to continue fermenting in the bottle and that is something you certainly do not want.

Why didn't you just do a brew that will only give 4% ABV anyway?

Unless you are using C02 then you need yeast to carbonate the bottles.

Christ almighty!! ...er....er...

I hope you dont have asthma or let anyone who does drink it mate!!

Sodium Met

what strength did you mix it at?

[crying]

Personally I wouldnt dream (nightmare)of doing what you have done and would toss it on the garden.

Sorry, I usually never say that.

Yob

Hudson, can you give us some more details on what you actually did? Like Bill, I'm a little confused [unsure]

A couple of points though:

could you please tell me if you think the carb drops will work with no yeast in the bottles

If you have indeed killed all the yeast then the carb drops won't work ie. carbonate. They will just dissolve and you will have sugary flat beer.

ive been trying to create a mild about 4% bottled beer with no sediment

Do you mean having no sediment in the bottle? If you are naturally carbonating the beer in bottles then you won't avoid sediment in the bottle.

Follow up, of after a few weeks you have no carbing, there are ways to reintroduce yeast to the bottles, though it is a pain in the rectum it is possible to do,

You could make a starter and remove the lids (pet or glass? ) and inject some yeast into the bottles and reseal.

Still not convinced I would do this on this particular brew but you may feel so inclined.

Yob

Come on Yob, don't confuse the poor guy. The brew is "up the duff". As you said pour it on the garden....not on your good plants though.

Your first advice was the best advice....hands down. I think Hudsonf needs to get a grasp of the basics of home brewing before he or the rest of us start going down the path of a lab technician.

I also asked at what concentration he used it, and 'could' be a factor, it warrants investigation. I also wanted him to know I wasn't just running him down and in fact have spent some time thinking about it.

I shall have to read that wikki again

And now that I have, up to 7mg per kg of body weight is an acceptable level and is broken down in the body,

The question stands, at what concentration was it added?

comments. i have only joined this to allforum and hope you get this message. i have just brewed my first ever homemade brew.i try to be a perfectionist in everything i do. i dont like high strength beers so this is what i did. when the primary fermenting was over i took a gv reading which was 1005. i then treated the beer with meta solfite to stop the yeast. big mistake according to you.

i read your comment in the forum which i have just joined,and had to decisions to make jump of a roof ha ha or dump the whole bloody lot and start again.when i went to dump my brew i opened the first bottle and it smelled ok. i took a GV reading and it was 1005.i took a sip and it was quite nice.i poured a glass and looking through it there was milllions of small bubbles and a top formed on it, so i drunk the bottle and it was nice mild lager so i drunk another. you said that beer couldnt carbonize without yeast.so my question to you is this to have a nice bubbling beer with a bit top after i week did for some reason some yeast stay live.now i only bottled it a week ago so if i leave them in the bottle longer do you think the beer will improve in taste. im in northern ireland and just want to brew a nice mild beer with no sediment.one last question.if i racked the beer like wine would that git rid of the sediment without adding meta sulfite. my first attempt so forgive the nievity hudson foster

To get lower amounts of sediment finings are a recommended method.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/12/30/fining-agents-improving-beer-clarity/

No idea what the meta will do to your beer, but looking at it's wiki page it doesn't look likely to make you sick unless you have allergies so unless you put a huge amount in there you should be ok healthwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite

As said before mate, you need to work out how much sodium met is in each bottle to make sure it's within safe levels for consumption.

The bubbles in the beer in the fermenter mean very little, residual CO2, if after a week or 2 (if determined to be safe to drink) when you open a bottle it goes pfft then your yeast yet lives.

You will however get sediment. To get no sediment you need to filter and probably have access to kegs which is unlikely if this is your first brew and you are asking the questions you are asking.

I hope it all works out for you but the main thing here is to first make sure it actually safe for you to drink, as per the wikki, now linked twice for you to read,.

Moving forward, I'd suggest you have a read of "how to brew" by John palmer on the internet and do a little more research before the next one, brewing isn't hard once you get the basics down pat.

Yob

Hudson, I agree with Yob on this one; it's easy after some research. I definitely recommend "How to Brew". A link to the website version is below but the hard copy book is updated and easier to read.

How to Brew by John Palmer

Before attempting stopping yeast and sediment free brewing it would be best to the get the basics under control.

With regards to sediment, if you decant the bottle into a glass you can leave the sediment behind in the bottle. I would start with that. I got the impression from your post that you are drinking from the bottle.

As to alcohol percentage, this should be sorted out in the planning stage of your beer. You will then only add the fermentables you need to achieve a certain ABV% and you won't have to worry about stalling the yeast.

So make a few simple beers and learn from them. They may not be great but rarely are they undrinkable.

And if you have any questions, just ask. We are a pretty helpful bunch.

hi guys thanks for the contact. since your first notes im a bit wiser. what i actualy did was follow the coopers instructions. did the proper things re sanatizing preparing the must. i added coopers beer enhancment and half a cup of honey. started ferment at 24c for a couple of days and then let it drop to 16c as this is my room temp. at this temp i allowed it longer to ferment.so after ten days i took a reading and it was 1005 or so.i then added met sulfite for two days as i thought by killing the yeast id have no sediment in my bottles [well ive learned from yous] and know i should not have used it. anyway after two days i bottled it using carb. drops.it sat for a week until today when i was goeing to dump it but found that it has been carbonizing,is fairly clear and has a bit of a top. i can only think that the amount of matsulfite

was too small amount or two days wasnt enough time for it to work.i drank a couple of bottles earlier today and im still here lol as they were only in the bottles for a few days im goeing to leave the brew and try it again in a fortnight. the fact there was a small piff when i opened it and it had a bit of a head and tasted ok,i think it may turn out alright. so thanks for your comments boys and good luck to yous all and if you ever come to n ireland come down and try my beer lol

aye thanks kearnage id already sussed a few. im reading this john palmers book at the minute. im goeing to experiment with some of these extracts till i learn learn palmers book of by heart. i want to brew a beer identical to carlsburg extra,and il probally have to get all these bloody calculations of by heart before i start.

thanks hairy that was a brilliant link you gave me. ill have one of my meta sulf beers while im reading it cheers

ps did you not know us Irish could drink any f...ing thing lol

Id also be reading up on water chemistry as the styles you are trying to brew arent really suited to you water (Hence why Guiness is the National Brew)but is pretty easy to fix and can make a world of difference.

Trying to re-create Carlburg? God almighty is there not enough pain in the world already? [lol]

Sorry, I really have to learn not to do that...

Where abouts in the Emerald Isle are you? I was there not long ago and loved Franciscan Well Brewery in Cork.

Top joint by my ratings system, must have chatted to the brewer for a few hours I rekon and was dinking their wheat beer from out of the fermenter!! [bandit]

Yob

hi yob im from Antrim, up north,not far from the most famous Bushmills whiskey Distillery.im an electrican and worked in it when they extended it.As you know it was all custom controlled but we got a complimentry bottle every friday leaving work. the only stuff available was the pre wash which was in big open tanks and was like pure yellow pish water with rats swimming through it.you would have to see the locals dipping their cups in and drinking the bloody stuff.and they stikk got their free glass of pure whisky every ten oclock one oclock and every quitting time, alcos the whole bloody lot of them.ill keep yous updated as to how the met beer turns out.i made a new batch today,using coopers european lager i didnt use sugar,but used 500g of light malt extract and 500g beer enhansment.made yeast starter and piched at 24% as recomended.using a brew belt to keep it that for a day and then let it drop to my room temp 18%. ill rack it in a week and then give it another five days before bottling it. did all but read that john palmer book since you told me.my next beer im goeing to source danish water conditions and hops and yeast and attempt to make my own extract as near to carlsborge as i can get. would i be right in saying there would be more satisfaction making beer from scratch. good luck

hi BILLK your right as usual. i have my brew in a room temp of 16% and thats it for at least ten days. the euro yeast works down to 12% so im all right. as your probally aware the only action one will see is if you take off the lid and look in,and all you see is a white film simmering so slowly. dont even need an airlock.if i see the lid rising ill just crack and let any press.out.I got my reciepe for carlsburg special and im ordering the materials at the min.i got a very detailed instruction leaflet so hopefully ill get it right.im getting all my materials from the same suppliers as carlsburg. other than the barley malt im doeing the rest myself. I have an extensive garden,and grow tunnel c/w vines peach trees etc, so its just coming into our summer and looking forward to makeing a lot of cheap wines. Iam not brewing to feed a habit, but to derive satisfaction if and when i get it right,aye and of course ill enjoy the tasting and blending.good luck for now Hudson ps if you want the full recipie and instructions i can do.

hi BILLK your right as usual. i have my brew in a room temp of 16% and thats it for at least ten days. the euro yeast works down to 12% so im all right

Hudson, Bill wasn't suggesting that the lager yeast won't ferment the beer at 18 degrees. It will definitely ferment at that temp but may throw some off/strange flavours.

Fermenting a lager yeast at a lower temp like 12 degrees will produce a clean fermentation which is the reason for using lager yeast to begin with.

ps if you want the full recipie and instructions i can do.

Post it if you can, I would be interested to see it. I actually don't mind Carlsberg; I think it is one of the better Euro lagers.

Archived