Coopers Community

Coopers Membership Cups (Pewters)

iBooz2

Whilst cleaning out my Fathers house and sheds, I found in amongst his brewing stuff a silver cup / mug / pewter that says Coopers Membership 2000.

Just wondering if Frank or others on the DIY team can shed any light on this.  Were they sold in the DIY store back then or were they a reward for big purchases or long time brewers of Coopers DIY beer products.  @Coopers DIY Beer Team.

I actually introduced my father to home brewing back when I was at high school in the 1970's.  He loved the hobby ever since and he must of made thousands of batches, mostly real ale I am guessing, before giving it away due to old age catching up in recent years.

When I get some time I will polish this cup / mug / pewter up and take a pic or two of it and post it.  I am just curious as to how he came to be in possession of it.  So hopefully the DIY Beer team can tell me the story.  Thanks - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Whilst cleaning out my Fathers house and sheds, I found in amongst his brewing stuff a silver cup / mug / pewter that says Coopers Membership 2000.

Just wondering if Frank or others on the DIY team can shed any light on this.  Were they sold in the DIY store back then or were they a reward for big purchases or long time brewers of Coopers DIY beer products.  @Coopers DIY Beer Team.

I actually introduced my father to home brewing back when I was at high school in the 1970's.  He loved the hobby ever since and he must of made thousands of batches, mostly real ale I am guessing, before giving it away due to old age catching up in recent years.

When I get some time I will polish this cup / mug / pewter up and take a pic or two of it and post it.  I am just curious as to how he came to be in possession of it.  So hopefully the DIY Beer team can tell me the story.  Thanks - AL

IMG_3742.thumb.jpeg.d6c165cc69f5a267169e965122bf68f0.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Triple B Brewing said:

Well that was unfortunate - I just finished typing out a large reply and it’s disappeared into the ether 🤦‍♂️

Ok, I’ll have another crack at it - my original reply went something like this

Hi @iBooz2 AL,

I have two of these steins (and a bottle opener) one of these I won in a best beer competition held on site at Argyle Diamonds. The entry name was “The Rusty Bucket” (that was my back to back and me).

If my memory serves me correctly you received these steins as a club member as part of a membership renewal and to commemorate the turn of the century. 
Again if my memory serves me correctly, for me in the early 1990’s I wrote (hard copy) and surfaced mailed a membership club request to Coopers - I believe it was part of the can of hooped malt we bought (one of the original series) maybe the back of a label, or under the cap) and surfaced mailed it back to Coopers.

As a member you received a small dicast bottle opener (for twist caps and crown seals). It had the Coopers logo on it in coloured ceramic and your membership number stamped on it. 
My number was 2,4XXX (so I was in the first 2,500 members 🥳) however that lack of recall just wouldn’t have cut it back in the Argyle days coz you would have to recite your membership number at any time and if you couldn’t you had to buy the next round which could take up to 3 long necks to pour 😉😂

Fantastic that these treasures are being found by the next generation. Home brewing has improved just sooooooo so much and even further since my late father’s days when he first started brewing in a bath ! - that soon changed once my brother and I were born 🫣😂🤣😂

Anywho AL just a word of warning when your cleaning ya dad’s stein - these are not made of pewter, they are plated and so once that plating has been removed there’s no coming back from that - so steady as she goes cobber  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Yes, BBB has it right, the pewter mug on the left and the bottle opener were part of the gift pack that members received when the renewed their Coopers Club membership in 2000.

Cheers, Frank.   

Thanks @Coopers DIY Beer Team Frank 👍 All that membership stuff is lookin' a bit like me now - very old n scaley 😉😵‍💫😂🤣😂

Mate to round out this short trip down memory lane, would you have any other info on the Coopers Club in the early days. e.g.; maybe a photo of the Coopers Club membership bottle opener key ring with the membership number stamped on it, or maybe some info on when the old Coopers Club folded and maybe how many members there were in the club when it did fold.

Cheers ta Coopers Club Beers ! 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🥳

• Like 3

Not entirely relevant but this thread reminded me of something I tucked away in the garage at the end/start of the millennium so I just fished them out. How can it possibly be almost quarter of a century since we all feared the sky falling on our heads due to the Y2K bug? Adelaide Advertisers from 31/12/1999 and 01/01/2000.

IMG_20240828_141657.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beerdo said:

Not entirely relevant but this thread reminded me of something I tucked away in the garage at the end/start of the millennium so I just fished them out. How can it possibly be almost quarter of a century since we all feared the sky falling on our heads due to the Y2K bug? Adelaide Advertisers from 31/12/1999 and 01/01/2000.

IMG_20240828_141657.jpg

Arrr yes Y2K - I remember oh too well the concern - especially for those that needed to fly at around that time 🫣

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Arrr yes Y2K - I remember oh too well the concern - especially for those that needed to fly at around that time 🫣

Planes were going to fall out of the sky. Computer networks worldwide were going to collapse. In the end it was a storm in a teacup.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beerdo said:

Planes were going to fall out of the sky. Computer networks worldwide were going to collapse. In the end it was a storm in a teacup.

Yep that’s it - I was still FIFO then - thankfully the 31/12/1999 or 01/01/2000 wasn’t a fly day for us - PHEW 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep that’s it - I was still FIFO then - thankfully the 31/12/1999 or 01/01/2000 wasn’t a fly day for us - PHEW 😅

Otherwise you might not be here today to tell the tale.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

I imagine that the clocks on some of the planes you flew on stopped long before 2000.  Plus sundials were not affected by Y2K.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

WHOOWW - That was harsh mate - but fair 😉😂🤣😂

😁 Hey.  It wasn't a dig about your age.  More about the dodgy craft that would have ferried you around to remote locations in those days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

😁 Hey.  It wasn't a dig about your age.  More about the dodgy craft that would have ferried you around to remote locations in those days.

HA ! - Nar all good cobber - to be honest I thought it was fair, as I am getting on to that ancient distinction 🤓

On the other hand, there was a joke goin round at the time about the type of jet we flew on (BAe146) which went somethin like this:  

After a false start and an annoying 2 hour delay, the plane finally turns at the end of the runway in preparation for takeoff, the passenger seated in 7B nudges the guy next to him in 7A as he looks nervously out over the wing and says to him “man, I’m smashed, finally we can get some sleep eh.  Oh by the way, do you know what BAe stands for?

The passenger in seat 7A says “dunno, British Aerospace isn’t it ?”

Nope “Bring Another Engine” - sleep tight !!

image.gif.bb5f279fb895e438cbb1521d5dad05c1.gif

• Haha 2