Coopers Community

Carbonation questions...

Hi,

I'm moving to corny kegs and am not clear on a few points:

1) Once a beer (in this case, an ale) has been carbonated and is ready to drink, what PSI should I set it to while it's sitting in the kegerator ready for serving?

2) Are there ways to know the current amount of beer remaining in a keg? It'd be good to know when it's getting low so I know when to plan the next brew.

3) Has anyone had any success carbonating a Guinness clone with CO2, then serving with pure Nitro?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

1) Once a beer (in this case, an ale) has been carbonated and is ready to drink, what PSI should I set it to while it's sitting in the kegerator ready for serving?

2) Are there ways to know the current amount of beer remaining in a keg? It'd be good to know when it's getting low so I know when to plan the next brew.

3) Has anyone had any success carbonating a Guinness clone with CO2, then serving with pure Nitro?

Cheers!

1. I think 12psi is pretty good for serving most beers.  There are tables out there that will give you more specific serving pressures for different styles.
  2. Use something to count each glass you fill.  You need to be planning the next brew well before you finish the current brew.
  3. I'll leave this for somebody else.  I have no experience with Nitro.

12 hours ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

Cheers!

1. That depends on the length of your beer lines and of course the style. I guess the average serving pressure is between 12 and 15psi.

2. That is a tricky one to answer. Either count the glasses poured as @Shamus O'Sean said or get some of the gadgets out there that can tell you. But part of the fun of kegging is walking up to the tap, looking forward to a nice cold beer and then hearing that horrible pop, pshhh, pffft 🙂 You need to plan in a way that you always have at least one replacement keg ready and one beer in the making. If you wait until a keg blows, you will have a dry couple of weeks ahead of you. 

3. Sorry, can't help you. I do neither nitro nor stout.

Adding to the helpful advice already given, I have my gas on 10psi normally for serving, sometimes 12psi but I think it depends on the brew, I find some a little more 'fierce than others.

My beer lines are 2.5m & it works OK.

Having a keg ready to replace one that blows is a good idea.

I too know zilch about nitro.

15 hours ago, Willy Weizenbier said:

Hi,

In my experience, anywhere between 10psi - 14psi

A slight lift every now and then should give you a gauge of how much is left. But have a brew on as a keg is plumbed up.

Done this a few times many years ago. Carbonate with CO2 as per normal, then serve with nitro. I used to hire a nitro mix from BOC (70/30), i can't remember the pressure i use to serve
It at though. 

Cheers!

Edited by Hoppy81