Coopers Community

What should i use to clean the plastic Coopers beer bottles. Also should i scrub them with a brush or not ? Making my 2nd batch soon

Hey all, might seem like a dumb question, but im new to this and made one batch and ready for the second.

I am using the plastic coopers bottles and did some reading and getting some conflicting info.

Questions:

1 - whats best to clean the bottles with.
2 - should i clean them JUST before i bottle or can i do it a week before, dry them and put the caps on waiting for the fill up days?
3 - someone mentioned not to use a brush to scratch the inside of the bottles? 

any info would be greatly appreciated and thank you

Cheers.

JOHnny

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyHavana said:

Hey all, might seem like a dumb question, but im new to this and made one batch and ready for the second.

I am using the plastic coopers bottles and did some reading and getting some conflicting info.

Questions:

2 - should i clean them JUST before i bottle or can i do it a week before, dry them and put the caps on waiting for the fill up days?

Cheers.

JOHnny

Hi Johnny,

1. Warm to hot water, not boiling with a little  Bi Carb of Soda & a good shake up, rinse several times or you can buy commercial cleaners from Home Brew Shops/online.  Best not to use detergent as it will affect gead retention. 

2. Once they are clean you can store them with the lid on & bottle when ready.

3. A soft brush is OK but if you rinse them several times after emptying they will just need a light rinse.

Hard brushes are not recommended. 

Cheers 

Phil

• Like 2

Hello @JohnnyHavana,

I have stuck to the cleaning instructions that came with my Coopers kit. I rinse the bottles and caps straight after they are emptied. I use a soft bottle brush if there is any sediment stuck in the bottle. Then I  store the bottles with the lids on when they are dry. On bottling day I soak the bottles and lids in a bleach solution 1/4 cup to 20 litres; then give them a good rinse. Same sanitising routine for the fermenting vessels, taps, bottling wands etc. Best wishes for your brewing. We are up to brew no.55 now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JohnnyHavana said:

Questions:

Cheers.

JOHnny

Hey Johnny, You are likely to get a few different answers to your questions.  Mine will just add to the tally.  You should give the different options a go and determine what works best for you.  In my case:

1. I use Oxysan laundry soaker.  It contains about 32% of Sodium Percarbonate.  I use 1/2 teaspoon per litre of warm, not hot water.  Soak over night.
  2. By saying "should i clean them JUST before i bottle" makes me think you have left empty bottles to dry out for days/weeks before you want to clean them.  Letting any crud dry out in the bottles is asking for trouble.  I rinse out the bottles as soon as I empty them.  Add a not-quite-full 1/2 teaspoon of Oxysan to the bottle via a small funnel.  Add the water and swirl the bottle as it fills.  Leave over night.
  3. I use a silicon brush like the one below to give the inside bottom of the bottle a quick scrub.  Then rinse out the bottle 4 times or until the surface feels squeaky clean.  Hang on a bottle tree to dry.  Sanitise just before bottling.

IMG20240513055620.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/11/2024 at 6:17 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Johnny, You are likely to get a few different answers to your questions.  Mine will just add to the tally.  You should give the different options a go and determine what works best for you.  In my case:

1. I use Oxysan laundry soaker.  It contains about 32% of Sodium Percarbonate.  I use 1/2 teaspoon per litre of warm, not hot water.  Soak over night.
  2. By saying "should i clean them JUST before i bottle" makes me think you have left empty bottles to dry out for days/weeks before you want to clean them.  Letting any crud dry out in the bottles is asking for trouble.  I rinse out the bottles as soon as I empty them.  Add a not-quite-full 1/2 teaspoon of Oxysan to the bottle via a small funnel.  Add the water and swirl the bottle as it fills.  Leave over night.
  3. I use a silicon brush like the one below to give the inside bottom of the bottle a quick scrub.  Then rinse out the bottle 4 times or until the surface feels squeaky clean.  Hang on a bottle tree to dry.  Sanitise just before bottling.

IMG20240513055620.jpg

HI Shamus, actually i also rinse them thoroughly right after drinking them and try to get everything out of them including the stuff on the bottom, then leave some warm water inside and put the cap on and left them. So i imagine they are in good shape, but thank you for the details 🙂

• Like 2