Coopers Community

Biofine

Has anybody used it? If so, when do you use it? There seem to be two schools of thought, one says to use it in the FV and some say to put it into the keg when kegging. 

I have some on order to see what it is like but want to get the best results. 

• Like 1

@Aussiekraut , if it was me using it, I would only use it in the FV after the beer has been cold crashed to drop most of the yeast and other solids down and out.  Adding it once the initial cold crash has been held at say 2 C for a couple of days and done most of the clearing work, then add the Biofine mix and then wait another few days to "polish off" the beers clarity before kegging.

You want the spent yeast and solids out of the beer before you keg it, not sitting in the bottom of your keg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@Aussiekraut , if it was me using it, I would only use it in the FV after the beer has been cold crashed to drop most of the yeast and other solids down and out.  Adding it once the initial cold crash has been held at say 2 C for a couple of days and done most of the clearing work, then add the Biofine mix and then wait another few days to "polish off" the beers clarity before kegging.

You want the spent yeast and solids out of the beer before you keg it, not sitting in the bottom of your keg.

Yep, never used the stuff or anything like it - but your response makes absolute good sense to me @iBooz2

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Has anybody used it? If so, when do you use it? There seem to be two schools of thought, one says to use it in the FV and some say to put it into the keg when kegging. 

I have some on order to see what it is like but want to get the best results. 

I have used Biofine in 8 brews since September last year (2023).  It does a great job.  I add 0.5ml/L to the FV once it has reached cold crash temperature.  Lagers, after a 3 per day slow drop and Ales, after a 12-24 hour drop.  My most recent brew, kegged today was amazingly clear.  I could easily see the central thermowell in the FV.

I like that I measure out the Biofine into a medicine cup, then add it to the FV and give the FV a bit of a gentle stir.  Job done.

Previously I used Isinglass and Polyclar 24 hours apart.  Although the results were equally good, it was a much more fussy process than the simple Biofine addition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

+1 to this I haven’t used biofine but I use Gelatine as per above and it works very well! I have never used it in the keg though heard stories your first pours suck all the garbage up on the first couple of pours!

Edited by RDT2

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah, normally I use PVPP but wanted to try something different. When I saw it used during kegging, I was a tad confused 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have used Biofine in 8 brews since September last year (2023).  It does a great job.  I add 0.5ml/L to the FV once it has reached cold crash temperature.  Lagers, after a 3 per day slow drop and Ales, after a 12-24 hour drop.  My most recent brew, kegged today was amazingly clear.  I could easily see the central thermowell in the FV.

I like that I measure out the Biofine into a medicine cup, then add it to the FV and give the FV a bit of a gentle stir.  Job done.

Previously I used Isinglass and Polyclar 24 hours apart.  Although the results were equally good, it was a much more fussy process than the simple Biofine addition.

So just like PVPP. I didn't think in the keg is a good idea but apparently, some people do it.  So I thought I run it past the good people here 🙂 

• Like 3