Coopers Community

Wifi Hydrometer - will it work in a SS fermenter in a brew fridge ?

Happy New Year to all of you brewers 🙂

I wanted to try out a WiFi hydrometer for a while and have just ordered a Hydrom as I found a place with it on offer. I know a few of you use them: I think Rapt are one of the cheapest (apart from iSpindle but I think they are a PITA to calibrate), I can also get Float, and could get Tilt, but they are quite a bit more expensive coming from the US.

Although they say they will work in a stainless steel FV, but what if that's in a brew fridge ?

I suppose I might need a wifi repeater to get a stronger signal, but does anyone have such a setup (SS FV in a fridge)  and does it work ?

Chhers, and happy brewing for 2024 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

I wanted to try out a WiFi hydrometer for a while and have just ordered a Hydrom as I found a place with it on offer. I know a few of you use them: I think Rapt are one of the cheapest (apart from iSpindle but I think they are a PITA to calibrate), I can also get Float, and could get Tilt, but they are quite a bit more expensive coming from the US.

Although they say they will work in a stainless steel FV, but what if that's in a brew fridge ?

I suppose I might need a wifi repeater to get a stronger signal, but does anyone have such a setup (SS FV in a fridge)  and does it work ?

My rapt pill 💊 does in a ss brewtech bucket inside a fridge in the garage!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

the ss  fermenters can act as a faraday cage  and depending on where your wifi router is to where your ss fermenter is  can hinder you a bit   specially if the signal from the wifi has to go through double brick walls etc . as you said you may need to get a wifi repeater involved.

you may say its pita to calibrate a pill  its not really that difficult  to calibrate the pill from kegland . but the good thing with the pill is you dont have to rely on wifi  to get signal from the the hydrometer  becuase you can can connect to say a rapt temp controller that may hang off  your fridge that gets the wifi signal quite well and will repeat the signal to the rapt portal or to brewfather or  what ever brewing software your using   so the pill  is in bluetooth mode and bonded to rapt temp controller which transmits the wifi signal

i am not certain the hydrom  can do the same as the rapt pill and i believe it only uses bluetooth

tilt is old and outdated and expensive for what it is  and only runs bluetooth   .

having said that   kegland  sometime this year  in conjuction with brewbuilt  are bringing out a new fermenter not only just for  glycol temp controller but a new way so the rapt pill can be easily used  on the wifi network  

• Thanks 1