Coopers Community

Dry style beer

BenL12

I have been doing home brews for a little while now but unsure of how to get a good dry/crisp beer like a Dry Dock or Carlton Dry etc. I am not sure if i am using too much malt or if this doesnt affect the outcome too much. Any help would be awesome. Also what coopers kits are the best style for this type of dry beer. I have used a Canadian Blonde Kit and a Mexican Cerveza kit but still not really dry.

Sorry for this, but you have been homebrewing for a while and still want to reproduce Carlton dry? I was at a wedding a few weels ago whefe this was the only beer, I almost had water.. I lnow this is not helping but please try adding some hops to a brew, aint hard bit will rid you of this madness you have embarked apon. .

Sorry, I know this isn't the kind of advice I generally dish out. . Carlton dry? [roll]

Again sorry but I really can't stand that stuff and cannot for tje life of me understand how anyone would want to bring that sort of evil apon themselves or loved ones[rightful]

Peace out

Yob, although I agree with your opinion totally, Ben can brew and drink what he wants.

Ben, follow Chad's advice, use the Lager kit and maybe go with a lager yeast if you can control temps.

You can use a Dry Enzyme but I haven't heard good things about the results. Probably tastes like Carlton Dry [biggrin]

That last comment was a bit hypocritical but I couldn't resist.

baaaad yob...[bandit]

I did apologise alot while saying the above...

taste is a very personal thing and given that my own personal tastes have delevoped along with my homebrewing to a level that now I cannot stand many beers that we, as a nation, tend to lap up, just cannot understand why anyone would want to reproduce the megaswill..

perhaps (on this one) I should just shut up on this and offer no advice[rightful]...

(paragraphs deleted)

again sorry, no disrespect intended just a complete lack of understanding on my part..

seriously though... get some hops into ya [lol]

Yob

The styles of beer you describe have a lot of industrial equipment behind them, often added tetrahop (to minimise the damage of clear bottles), fining, filtering (often at low temperature), enzymes, they are pasteurised, and they are not bottle conditioned.

They are pretty hard to replicate in a home brew setting.

There may be a few opinions that they are not worth replicating, and I may possibly be in that camp, but the reality is, if you like that style of beer, you are probably best off buying it, and home brewing something a bit less industrial. With lots of fresh hops

[biggrin]

As above "here,here" well said. When people ask me about home brewing I always ask them "what do you drink?". 9/10, their reply is usually "mega swill/dry/low carb". I then ask "what would you like to brew/drink"....9/10 say "megaswil/dry/low carb" [roll] . Those 9/10 I then go on and within a minute I begin to bore them with the complications of brewing these styles of beer and how much more stuff,ect,ect......I'm now boring myself, and finish with better of just buying it from the bottlo or go to those brain dead U-Brew-it places and see if they can do it for you(usually out of glucose syrup). As for the 1/10 well are they the more happier for asking and have now discovered a whole new world to BEER. To sum it up "If you can't brew it at home....buy it!"[rightful]

What you may find is that it takes a while to train your palate. Have you ever tried to reform a sweet tooth, i.e give them real coffee without sugar or get them to drink a Sav Blanc or a Cab Sav. My best mate drinks Crown Lager, Carlton Cold and XXXX Gold. Recently I talked him into trying a LCPA, he was far from impressed. This doesn't mean he doesn't like home brew though. He really enjoyed my Basic Blonde recipe but can't drink my Nelson Heritage or FSA. My daughter's partner drinks TED, he also really enjoyed my Basic Blonde and also liked the Nelson Heritage, but returned one of the FSA longnecks. I guess hops aren't for everyone and some people brew for decades and never add hops. Personally my taste is for flavour (not the kind that comes from sugar) and the variety of hops offers a chance for the taste buds to never get bored.

Whereas it is true that you can't do a perfect clone the following site argues that if you like a certain beer, e.g Carlton Mid then you will like the recipe that they offer.

Brew Cellar

And now for a helpful post, try to contact a member on aussiehomebrewer called thirstyboy, he is one of the lead brewers for cub, if anyone can help you achieve what you want it's him, he is always quite helpful and informative.

Good luck.

See what happens when I post without having been at the pub[roll]

Yob

Thanks guys for all the ...ah...friendly comments. I dont usually drink Dry's but alot of my mates do because it is cheap and suits our hot weather here in perth pretty well. (above 40Deg for last week or so)

What I probably should have said was 'a style like' and maybe picked a little bit better example. Maybe like Asahi.

However thanks for all the advice. I have never used the dry enzyme but will definitely give it a go.

Cheers for advice Yob and just letting you know that the brew i have in fermenter (bottling this Arvo) is a steam ale type. USed the coopers recipe from the website and added a 1/3 wheat malt to the malt mix (trying for a mountain goat sort of taste). Also brewed with 50g of Hallertau. 30g 20mins boil and the rest steeped. First go with pellets. I have just been using the finishing hops bags for most though. Hopefully it turns out ok.

Cheers for advice again.

Ben

The brew needs to finish with a very low SG to be considered "low carb" - less than 1004.

If a beer kit can is your normal method of brewing; you need to add only simple sugars, use a yeast that ferments thoroughly and run an extended fermentation (at least 14days).

Go for a kit with a lower bitterness level, like the IS Australian Pale Ale with a kilo of dextrose to 23 litres and dry hop (or hop infusion) with about 12g of pellets (like Tettnang, Hallertau, Hersbrucker). Ferment at 18C-20C with the kit yeast plus another sachet of kit yeast from our Original Series (this yeast is excellent for attenuating to low SG).

Good luck with the steam ale, I've done that recipe twice with the Wyeast California Lager liquid yeast and northern brewer hops, turned out pretty well. (I was trying to copy Anchor Steam) A friend who is relatively new to brewing has also just put down a steam ale as he likes the mountain Goat one - I didn't think of suggesting wheat malt...

Dan

These sound like lovely beers![lol] I kinda' wish I could try one just to know what you guys are talking about.[sideways]

Two thumbs up for the Steam Recipe. I've made a couple variation of this recipe. It just so happens I'm sampling one now![cool] this one has some Crystal malt steeped and some late Cascade to go with the N. Brewer's.[joyful]

Dan,

The Anchor Steam is one of my regular brews when I'm not drinking home brew. In fact the whole line of the Anchor brews are nice.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be sampling a Mountain Goat any thime soon. If I'm not mistaken weggl brought this brew up in conversion. I kinda' think he thought I tasted like goat piss![sick] [biggrin]

[biggrin] You are not mistaken Chad. I am expecting another rant from Weggl anytime now.

I could be wrong but I think Anchor Steam uses a lager yeast at warmer temps whilst the Goat uses an ale yeast at cooler temps. It is a Steam Ale.

Hairy, you got me there. I assumed by the name and a few references to it being a 'California common' it was a steam beer, but according to a few discussions I've just googled, they brew it with US05 at the low end of it's temp range, so it isn't a bleedin' steam beer at all. Bother.

Dan

The brew needs to finish with a very low SG to be considered "low carb" - less than 1004.

Good news then... Im making a low carb beer!!

Ive been re-using a batch of 05 for a while now and it's become quite attenuative, looks like it's finished up at 1003-1004..

was an AG brew (mash at 65'c) and the aroma isnt great but cant detect any off flavours... [w00t]

Dry beer all round!![biggrin]

I have been doing home brews for a little while now but unsure of how to get a good dry/crisp beer like a Dry Dock or Carlton Dry etc.

I was at one of my local home brew shops today and I remembered your post and I asked if you could buy dry enzyme I was told that I could for about $2.00 a satchel. I also found a recipe for cloning Cartlon Dry apparently it is as follows

Carlton Dry

Morgans Australian Draught

Booster Blend #3

Yeast standard

Cascade 12g

Dry Enzyme

21L

and I'll probably get shot for saying this I used to love drinking Carlton Dry[bandit].

You like what you like![cool]

all dry beers taste the same to me, and they aren't something i'd make.

however, brew your own at home in Canberra have some great information about yeast styles and a couple of recipes on their website.

I saw one in particular that made me think of this thread (unfortunately not Coopers related):

Toohey's Dry Style

Black Rock Dry Lager (use the dry enzyme provided)

500g LDME

500g Dex (would never use dex personally reading this forum and others, but I'd imagine it's pretty crucial to a dry)

1 sachet of DCL Saflager yeast (don't know what DCL is, but W34/70 is a lager yeast that I've been told gives crisp results)

(from what I've read and been told, dry hopping with a Nelson Sauv would give a really nice aroma)

final gravity should be 1002 or lower. from what i understand it would take every bit of 2 weeks at 12 degrees to produce this result and would leave a lot of crap in the bottom of your fermenter - but would give a very crisp and clear brew.

Archived