Coopers Community

Not sure if I have done the right thing.

Tom R

32 minutes ago, Tom R said:

I have just put down a Thomas Cooper IPA and only used a tin of Thomas Cooper's Light malt extract. Will this give me enough sugar or should I add dextrose to increase the sugar content?

Assuming you worked to the recipe & brewed it to 20-23l it will be OK but adding sugar/dextrose will only thin the beer & add more ABV, if you have any malt-500gms on hand I would add that otherwise you should be OK,

The end result will depend on the volume of wort in the FV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tom R said:

I have just put down a Thomas Cooper IPA and only used a tin of Thomas Cooper's Light malt extract. Will this give me enough sugar or should I add dextrose to increase the sugar content?

If you used the TC IPA can and the TC light malt, you're sweet. 1.5kg liquid malt extract is about the equivalent of 1kg dextrose in terms of fermentable sugars but will make a better beer. More body, more mouthfeel, better head formation and retention, etc. 

Welcome to the forum btw.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks community, I ferment with less water, to suit 20ltr keg size about 21ltr's in total. I'll let it ferment for 7 days the test the SG. I normally use a mix of dextrose, malt and corn syrup which works great. Will see how it goes.

• Like 5