Coopers Community

Supernova Cold IPA - September 2023 Recipe of the Month

16 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Anyone brewed this yet? Mine turned up on Friday arvo but haven't had a chance. I think I'll be adding more than the included hops. 

I haven't but I'm thinking about doing it sometime down the track. I know people like to go heavy on the hops but I reckon I'll just try it as it is. I don't think the Canadian Blonde can and the rice malt syrup are going to be giving strong flavours so I don't think it will take much for the hops to stand out.

52 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I was surprised at the recipe stating 25g in the steep and dry hop with a further 25g. Usually I add more, maybe I am doing it wrong or have not so fresh hops? I like this recipe and may give it a go!

Every Coopers recipe I've looked at has hops in quantities of 25g. Every American recipe I've looked at has hops in multiples of ounces (28g).

1 minute ago, Kegory said:

Every Coopers recipe I've looked at has hops in quantities of 25g. Every American recipe I've looked at has hops in multiples of ounces (28g).

I buy hops from the LHBS in 50g or 90g bags. If a recipe calls for an ounce or half an ounce I don't worry too much and use half a 50g bag. A pound of malt (454g) I just chuck in 500g for example.

• Like 1

Just now, Cheap Charlie said:

I buy hops from the LHBS in 50g or 90g bags. If a recipe calls for an ounce or half an ounce I don't worry too much and use half a 50g bag. A pound of malt (454g) I just chuck in 500g for example.

Yeah, I agree. People use convenient units.