Coopers Community

Primary fermentation - Coopers Original Ale

Ehmyli

Hey all!

First time brewer here. 

Started my first brew last Wednesday with afromentioned brewing package. Did all the sterilisation etc according to instructions. In addition to ingredients, I added dryed orange peel soaked up in ethanol to the mix after 24 hours.

The question I'm having is that the brew no longer seems to be fermenting; there is no bubbles forming anymore at 96-hour mark.  Temperature at the beginning was a bit high, around 27-28. The temperature is now 21. I haven't measured the specific gravity yet. Should i expect the fermentation to be over at this point already, or is the fermentation just happening at such a low rate that it is not visually observed? 

Thank you all in advance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ehmyli said:

Hey all!

First time brewer here. 

Started my first brew last Wednesday with afromentioned brewing package. Did all the sterilisation etc according to instructions. In addition to ingredients, I added dryed orange peel soaked up in ethanol to the mix after 24 hours.

The question I'm having is that the brew no longer seems to be fermenting; there is no bubbles forming anymore at 96-hour mark.  Temperature at the beginning was a bit high, around 27-28. The temperature is now 21. I haven't measured the specific gravity yet. Should i expect the fermentation to be over at this point already, or is the fermentation just happening at such a low rate that it is not visually observed? 

Hi @Ehmyli

Welcome to the forum, first what brew is it? This obviously determines the temperature required to suit the recipe.

You should always take on SG (starting gravity) Adding extra ingredients, other liquids could affect the performance of the fermentation, you should always start with the basics if you are a novice & get a few brews under your belt before you & climb up the ladder too quickly.

If you can supply some more information, we can steer you in the right direction.

Cheers

Phil.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ehmyli said:

Hey all!

First time brewer here. 

Brewing is more like watching grass grow than watching fireworks (except for a little bit of excitement towards the beginning). The only way to be sure it's finished fermenting is to check the gravity. When the gravity reading is the same 24 hours or more apart then the fermentation has finished. It doesn't hurt to leave it a little longer than that, either. It gives the yeast time to "clean up" and settle to the bottom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ehmyli said:

Hey all!

First time brewer here. 

1  always take a S.g Reading at the start not a day or 2 later as the readings will be alot different to when your starting gravity
2 27-28 yes bit to high but if it continued to drop over night to 21 you will be ok 
3 no bubbles is not a great indicator of fermentation.  you could have an air leak depending on the fermentation vessal you are using where the co2 may be expelling

is there a krausen ring or what looks like a crust around the fermenter  if you see that then good chance the fermentation  is starting to slow down

on the 5th day take a reading  then another reading on day 7  if they read the same then fermentaion is done however i wouldnt bottle till day 10 minumum to allow the yeast to clean itself up

however being newbie it seems to me you have started out on a difficult recipe to start with.

look your brew should be fine  , but next brew pick something reasonably easy   take starting gravity at the start of fermentation   then start 1st final gravity reading on day 5  then on day 7 take a second reading  if those to final readings are the same   then the brew is finished fermenting and safe to bottle

your starting gravity for example may start at  1.048   
and your final gravity may finish  @ 1.009

• Like 3

Thank you for the answers!

The brew in question was Coopers Original Real Ale. 
As I understand, i should just calm my nerves and start measuring the SG and follow up with that? And not do any more extra steps with my first try 🙂

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ehmyli said:

As I understand, i should just calm my nerves and start measuring the SG and follow up with that? And not do any more extra steps with my first try 🙂

Pretty much.

I don't take gravity readings until I think it's done (apart from the Original Gravity). Why waste beer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ehmyli said:

I would do exactly that, be patient,  just follow the rules, watch the videos on Coopers website, don't get sidetracked, just develop your skills & ÿou will make great beers. 

• Like 2

Thank you all, these answers have been of great help!

The recipe i was following was actually the Coopers basic instruction with the addition from a Finnish website regarding those orange peel. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ehmyli said:

The recipe i was following was actually the Coopers basic instruction with the addition from a Finnish website regarding those orange peel. 

Interesting. Ive never heard anything about ethanol dipped orange peel before, but I thought orange peel was usually only really used in Belgian Wit Style beers.

The Real Ale can in my experience is pretty good. There are many hop varieties that can add fruity elements to your brew if that's what you are after. There's quite a lot of talk here on this forum about "dry hopping" which is a good way to dip your toes in the water.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the answers!

Took the first SG today. I tasted the beer too (obviously) and it tastes watery at this 7th day.  Just making sure that this is supposed to be the situation at the moment?

• Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 11:37 PM, Ehmyli said:

6 hours ago, Ehmyli said:

Thank you all for the answers!

Took the first SG today. I tasted the beer too (obviously) and it tastes watery at this 7th day.  Just making sure that this is supposed to be the situation at the moment?

The only recipe I can find for Coopers Real Ale is this one. Did you include 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2?

• Like 1

Hi @Ehmyli, I have been brewing for 20 months, and I'm up to brew no. 29. I watched the Coopers videos over and over again at the beginning, and had the instructions stuck to the

laundry (brewery) wall. Sticking with extracts for the time being, but adding hops or malt. Very interesting and a bit of work; and I think my beer's much better than Tooheys New or VB!

Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW

• Like 6