Coopers Community

Sanitizing bottles

Just wondering how is the best way i go about sanitizing my bottles do i soak them in a no rinse solution or do i just give them a scrub and no rinse solution then drain them off and should i do it immediately before bottling I went to find Star san but my local shop doesn't have it is sodium met ok to use? Cheers in advance

sodium met isnt ideal as it requires rinsing (I think)..

what I do. Rinse right after emptying (drinking), hot water rinse. Drain on bottle tree.

when Im racking to bulk prime I use a squirty tub with a no rinse sanitiser (Starsan) and place on bottle tree again.

Fill with fresh beer and cap within mere moments. also the lids are sanitised.

If dirty bottles, (never for me) then I would have soaked them in nappisan for 24 hours, bottle brushed (cut off the handle and will fit into a battery drill, well rinsed and then use.

yob

Yeah i hot rinse all my bottles that i have collected but haven't been too sure on how to clean them properly and sanitize them might have to order star san online as the local shops don't have it and i will soak my bottles now in napisan give them a good cleaning thanks mate for the advice also will a spray bottle be adequate to spray in the bottles and caps?

[cool] Agree with all that, good soak and scrub if old bottles. If new or just drunk, hot water flush (twice) then as an extra precaution I spray with a starsan atomiser spray, roll it around and then stand in an inverted, ill gotten plastic milk crate which when inverted again serves as storage come next bottling. Of course sanitize rinse again just before bottling. [joyful]

with a NRS? Yes absolutely, 30 seconds contact time is all that is required, dependent on product, though I generally give them longer..

if you have no NRS another way to ensure they are effectivly sanitised is to use heat, stack em in the oven and bake them... when cool, apply foil or glad wrap over the tops to ensure no dust or other shite gets in.. just another option mate.

yob

How long after using no rinse sanitiser should you wait before bottling?

After using the NRS I hang my bottles on the draining tree, but the bottles are never completely dry on the inside before I'm ready to bottle.

I've had some less than completely desirable results lately and I'm wondering if the NRS could be having an effect?

After using the NRS I hang my bottles on the draining tree, but the bottles are never completely dry on the inside before I'm ready to bottle.

I've had some less than completely desirable results lately and I'm wondering if the NRS could be having an effect?

I don't know about other brands but with Starsan you only need to wait 30 seconds. Do your bottles first then by the time you set everything up you can use them. Starsan doesn't need to be dry either. I just shake the excess off and all good to go.

I don't know about other brands but with Starsan you only need to wait 30 seconds. Do your bottles first then by the time you set everything up you can use them. Starsan doesn't need to be dry either. I just shake the excess off and all good to go.

I really want to get my hands on star san as it sounds like a brewers best friend saving time and no need to rinse my home brew shop sells sodium met haven't bought it yet but i will be asking him to stock star san for me if he is nice

In Victoria, Grain & Grape sell it See HERE this is a link to 1L and that will last you for a long long time. Alternatively get it shipped from Craftbrewer. Starsan can also be used for so many other things as well. Yeast love it too... well to simplify the process they do.

Don't use sodium Met. A part from it being bad for Asthmatics and some people's health, it doesn't kill all the nasties and also is not recommended by Coopers.

I think i should just order online for the moment and then get onto my brew shop to get some in :)

I got my 2 lots from Grain & Grape being in Vic it worked out cheaper, i bought the 1 litre pack and its hardly moved in volume after months of use. I mainly use it in a sprayer, i also make up a 2.4 litre bottle of it. I use a 1litre bottle of sani clean to soak my used bottles in for a few days, pretty much the same stuf by the same company but with sani clean you use X2 as much.

IM not even half way through my 1lt bottle after 2 years [rightful]

It is indeed... the ducks guts [lol]

I [love] Starsan.. never had an infection..

PB2 if you read this, what do you guys use for your CIP and sanitiser in the Brewery?

Good question, I imagine it would be hot water or caustic then hot water, depending on which bit of equipment and when CIP is taking place - during a typical brewing day or at the end of the week [unsure]

I will ask the brewhouse boys when back at work - got a week off. [biggrin]

I use both PBW cleaner & starsan,both by 5 star chemicals. After drinking from my glass bottles,I rinse the dregs out,then soak them in a bucket with about 4 gallons of water & 3TBSP of PBW for 2 hours. Hit'em with my bottle brush,rinse again (cleaner must be rinsed),& onto the bottle tree to dry. I store them in covered boxxes till needed. Another handy bit of hardware is the vinator & bottle tree by Ferrari. The vinator is made to fit on top of it. Makes bottling day way easier & faster. It has a pump in the center of the bowl made to fit glass bottles. You fill the bowl about half way with starsan,place the bottle over the pump stalk,& pump to blow a stream of sanitizer up into the bottle. Pull up off pump & allow to drain the excess for a moment. Then hang on bottle tree,repeat. Quick & easy. You need to drill a hole in a 2L bottle cap to fit over the pump stalk in order for cooper's PET bottles to work on the vinator.

Archived