Coopers Community

Irish Stout Vs. Original Stout

brada7

Hey Brewers, I understand the Coopers Irish Stout is about 2/3 the IBU's of the Original, but has anyone brewed with both that could maybe contribute a bit more on any other characteristics? I'm gonna do another stout and haven't tried the Irish yet. Cheers

The Irish is meant to be like Guinness Draught, rather watery and weak with a low abv and moderate taste. If you look back into the 18th century though, stout really was stout and it averaged 7%+ depending on whether it was single, double, triple or imperial. Guinness itself was lowered to the watery mess it is today due to war, taxation and cost cutting. So if you want a strong rich stout use the OS Stout as a base, otherwise try the Irish.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Guinness Draught much, but the Guinness Extra Stout that comes in the bottles is completely different, much richer flavour and about 6.8% ABV if I remember rightly. Stouts are on my list of brews I wanna make though so I might go the OS Stout to start off when I get to it.

Cheers,

Kelsey

The Irish Stout is an example of a Dry Stout (like draught Guinness/Murphys, well minus the nitrous induced head), the OS Stout makes a good 'Foreign Extra Stout' like the bottled Guinness export Stout, or Coopers stout. Both are good kits, depends what you want to make. Personally I prefer the OS Kit simply because a dry stout without the nitrous creaminess just isn't the same.

Just wondering which of the two coopers stout you would recommend for making something similar to Guinness... the stuff sold in taps (i am originally from scotland).

For me I am happy to play about with the flavours and make something better but the real questions is how can i adapt the coopers recipe or my recipe to make it more creamer/velvetier without kegging it.

It will be hard to mimic a Guinness as they use a blend of N2 to carb it. You may get something similar in taste but it just won't be anything near the same brew.

I'd like to offer a positive but if you do find a recipe then please share.

It will be hard to mimic a Guinness as they use a blend of N2 to carb it. You may get something similar in taste but it just won't be anything near the same brew.

I'd like to offer a positive but if you do find a recipe then please share.

I guessed as much, I've read numerous things like oats/corn syrup give it a creamier feel.

If anyone has any recipes or feedback to try and mimic something close to guinness without the n2 that would be great [biggrin]

The Irish Stout recipe may be a good start.

If you don't have N2, try priming the brew to a lower carbonation level and use a syringe to build the head. Fill a glass to about 2cm below the rim, draw the beer up through the syringe, keep the syringe tip submerged in the beer and squirt it back into the beer - gentle at first as the result can be volcanic [biggrin]

If just using bottles not kegging, what about wheat malt as an additive? I've heard this improves head retention but does it give you a more compacted head ie. smaller bubbles? Maybe wheat malt isnt suited to a stout but if its okay to use, how much do I put in?[pouty]

Wheat malt extract (dry or liquid) doesn't need to be mashed [wink]

But as Bill mentioned, the normal Wheat grains do need to be mashed.

You can get specialty wheat malts (eg. Caramel wheat & chocolate wheat). These can be steeped.

I'm not sure what impact it would have on a stout but you could try adding 200-300g Dry Wheat Malt and see how it goes.

Combine it with the syringe method and it might be good.

Archived