Coopers Community

Caught out by not cleaning bottles thoroughly

Bottled my LCPA attempt this afternoon before heading off to a mate's place for a BBQ. I bottled 12 750 ml Coopers longnecks and 37 330ml bottles six of which were green Boags Pure bottles. Did my normal routine clean and sanitise and these 6 were the last to be bottled. When I finished I noticed a black spot on the bottom of one of these stubbies, SWMBO identified the spot as mould and then proceeded to find said spot in three other green stubbies. Later on at the BBQ I was feeling quite shattered and sharing my feelings with our friends when SWMBO said I don't know why you didn't just re-bottle them. Coming of night shift I didn't think of such a simple solution, but upon returning I have transferred the contents to fresh bottles. I haven't lost a brew yet and even the thought of losing a litre cuts me deep. Fingers crossed, I reckon I'll give these re-bottled brews ago in a fortnight.

Cheers

Scott

Just wondering and I am not saying that you don't, but if you cleaned and sanitized properly then there shouldn't be any mould etc in the bottles. Could they be some that were forgotten?...

If not then how did you clean them?

I always use 8 Grolsh bottles every brew and never had a problem, i also store them in a dark cupboard. Having said that the only mould your going to get in a bottle is from a dirty bottle, i cant see any other way, light strike isnt going to create mould just turn your beer to skunk.

Just wondering and I am not saying that you don't, but if you cleaned and sanitized properly then there shouldn't be any mould etc in the bottles. Could they be some that were forgotten?...

If not then how did you clean them?

Hmmm, afraid I've been caught out (on one side of the beer triangle)[rightful] and the green bottles may be only part of the problem. Mostly I use my own bottles or ones I collect from mates' places, I rinse the bottles straight up with cold water give them a shake and then fill with hot water. Then I drain and store them. Before use I do the same again and sanitise with Sodium Percarbonate and a hot water rinse. My son gave me these green stubbies the day after Boxing Day, and I assumed that he and a mate had drunk them watching the cricket. They were a week old and not rinsed when emptied so complacency has done me in. Lesson learnt, but even though it wasn't the green bottles I am psychologically scarred [sick] and it will take a huge effort to continue using them.

I saw this last night but didn't post, as others have said, Propper cleaning is the key here... You are lucky in a way as dark bottles would have hidden this and you would not have learned the lesson from it.

The colour of a bottle generally doesnt matter to us as we store in the dark and light strike isnt really a concern, the primary focus should be, for you at this point, revising the cleaning and sanitation routine you have for your used bottles, maybe include a bottle brush section when you have the sodium perc in prior to the hot water rinse.

For me, If a bottle has sat for more than a day or two without being propperly rinsed then it goes to a secondary pile which gets a soak for a week, bottle brush and then sanitised.

having said all this, it is probably a cheap lesson for you in that (hopefully) not the whole batch is affected.

I hope this gives you something to think about... dont blame the bottles.. it's not their fault [rightful]

Yob

... You are lucky in a way as dark bottles would have hidden this and you would not have learned the lesson from it.

..... the primary focus should be, for you at this point, revising the cleaning and sanitation routine you have for your used bottles, maybe include a bottle brush section when you have the sodium perc in prior to the hot water rinse.

For me, If a bottle has sat for more than a day or two without being propperly rinsed then it goes to a secondary pile which gets a soak for a week, bottle brush and then sanitised.

Fair point Yob, I was thinking that myself. I am confident it was only those bottles as I was 1/2 dozen short. The other 30 stubbies and 12 long necks are all mine, I cleaned them as soon as I finished drinking each one.

As for my cleaning sanitising regime I agree, this is only my second batch using Sodium Perc, up until now I had been using [devil] Sodium Metabisulphite [devil]. I used that in a strong dose and it appears alot more aggresive than Sodium Perc also a quick rinse (swirl) with bleach this morning and the three bottles were spotless. But I'll stick with the Sodium Perc and review as you suggest. From now on any stubbies from my Son or his mates will go into "a secondary pile".

Sodium Perc is the bees knees imo. Soak anything in it and there is no need for elbow grease. If I can find a lazy way to do something I will and imo you really couldn't get any lazier than using Sodium Perc. It is really good stuff.

Sodium Perc is the bees knees imo. Soak anything in it and there is no need for elbow grease. If I can find a lazy way to do something I will and imo you really couldn't get any lazier than using Sodium Perc. It is really good stuff.

Sounds like something i would like to use how much does it cost roughly and how long do you soak in it?

Coopers Sanitiser is sodium percarbonate.

But sodium percarbonate is also the active ingredient in nappy wash (eg.napisan).

Most people just buy the unscented generic brand nappy wash.

It only needs to soak for a couple of hours but I tend to leave it overnight.

Sometimes I will leave my FV soaking for a few days because I forget about it.

I use a cheap old no name napisan (unscented).

1 cap in a fermenter is plenty and as Hairy said, a few hours should be enough. However, if I'm not going to use the FV right away, when I empty my FV I tend to fill with water and 1 cap Napisan and leave it until I am ready to reuse again. This could be anytime up to a few weeks or so and haven't had any worries at all. Give it a rinse in water then spray with Starsan and Robert's your Mother's brother.

[biggrin]

you have fermenters that go weeks unused? lol... mine are lucky to be empty for a day... I have 3 main fermenting vessels and try to brew in time with when Im going to bottle, so when I bottle, I brew the next day while Im rinsing the Yeast.. Pitch the following day when the NC has cooled.

[bandit]

Archived