Coopers Community

Hydrometer Problem?

JoyrexJ9

Hi, I'm new here! I've just started my first brew with my new Coopers DIY kit, and really enjoying it so far! I've just been taking some SG readings with the supplied plastic hydrometer, then I checked the reading with room-temperature tap water, I was a little surprised to see it read so far under 1.000, about 0.995. I've taken a picture

P1020176.JPG

Is this OK? Even if it is out does it matter? As the AVB calculation is just the difference between the OG and FG readings (which will be both be out by the same amount - canceling the error out?)

Thanks, and sorry if this seems like a silly question!

I'm new to beer making, but I've made LOTS of wine. Here is my experience with hydrometers.

First, most of the ones I've seen had the scale printed on a piece of paper slid into the glass tube. This paper can slip if the hydrometer is hit and give false readings from then on. For this, you can just adjust your readings.

I had one though that just kept getting further and further off. I finally noticed a tiny crack in the base. This was causing the hydrometer to float lower and lower as some water (wine) creeped inside. The only answer here is to replace it.

I ALWAYS keep a spare hydrometer around because you WILL break one sometime, right when you need it.

The hydrometer should read 1.000 at 20 degrees.

You can make allowances for the variance as you suggested ie. add 0.0005 to your readings.

Alternatively you could contact Coopers Customer Service; I'm sure they could help you out.

As you said, the calculation between the OG and FG is irreverent because you are only trying to find the difference which would obviously be the same if the Hydrometer was accurate anyway.

Nevertheless, mine is .004 out and I just make the necessary adjustments and as Hairy said, you can contact Coopers Customer Support. They are generally pretty helpful.

Hi, I'm new here! I've just started my first brew with my new Coopers DIY kit, and really enjoying it so far! I've just been taking some SG readings with the supplied plastic hydrometer, then I checked the reading with room-temperature tap water, I was a little surprised to see it read so far under 1.000, about 0.995. I've taken a picture

P1020176.JPG

Is this OK? Even if it is out does it matter? As the AVB calculation is just the difference between the OG and FG readings (which will be both be out by the same amount - canceling the error out?)

Thanks, and sorry if this seems like a silly question!

I also got a DIY kit for xmas and mine reads the same as yours

There's been the odd hydrometer that takes on fluid and sinks over time - we replace them without question. [biggrin]

You might like to follow one of 3 options:

1. adjust every reading by 5 points

2. calibrate it to read closer to 1000 in your water source at 20C by snipping a few bits off the red tip - this was originally how we planned to calibrate them at manufacture but decided they looked a bit ugly [pinched]

3. ask for a replacement - contact us at customerservice@coopers.com.au and we'll forward your details to the UK distributors.

I like options 1 and 2 but that's partly because I'm filling in at Customer Service this week [innocent]

I had the opposite problem. My old glass hydrometer that I got with the microbrew kit was always out.

I checked my new plastic one in water at 20 degrees last night and it read 1.000. Perfect!

Paul, you won't get an email or call from me this week and there is also no reason to snip off my end.

I like options 1 and 2 but that's partly because I'm filling in at Customer Service this week [innocent]

So we all should flood Customer Service now to keep Paul employeed [bandit] ... or the next time he'll be in the mail room. [pinched]

Archived