Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, +1 to Yob... the STC 1000 is great. I have 3 of them and can't fault them for a cheap product.

Here is a thread you maybe interested in.

Linky

I suggest to do a search for previously written articles. Go to Google and copy what I have in bold here to it site:http://www.coopers.com.au stc1000 don't bother with the search function here it sucks!

I have the opportunity to get a free fridge, do i need to convert the temp controller so it goes to the higher 18C temp? Or doesn't it need any tinkering?

Thanks

Take the free fridge. Even if you don't get a temp controller for a little while you can just use a $5 timer as you shouldn't need a heat source at the moment.

To set up:

1/ place thermometer against the FV wall and leave there

2/ plug fridge into timer

3/ turn on until thermometer reads 18C

4/ pull out fridge but leave timer on.

5/ check in 1 hour thermometer reading and if cold is required then program timer to switch on for 15 minutes

6/ repeat for the next 24 hours to get an idea of how the temps are and you should be able to leave it now until there is a dramatic change in temperature outside the fridge.

You will probably find that the fridge only needs to come on 15 minutes every 2 hours to maintain a 18C temp. I am only guessing but if you fiddle with the timer you should be able to get it almost right so you don't need to do anything.

This will do until you get a temperature controller. I recommend the STC1000. See Yob's and my posts above.

Hello,

Me and my mate received a Coopers DIY kit for Christmas off our wives. First time batch (Lager) is currently fermenting. Its been fermenting for 6 days now average temp of 23 degrees C. Reading some of the other posts here and the information supplied with the kit i have found some differences and was wondering if people could shed some light on these differences. Fermentation time and temp --> the kit info says around 4-6 days at between 21-27 degrees C. Some threads have stated that up to 14 days fermentation at a lower temperature 18-20. I understand that a lower temp requires longer fermentation time. however just wondering if the kit info is incorrect and our beer will suffer. second question what is the best way to sterilise and clean the fermenter (we want to get our second batch brewing as soon as the first ones out in case its bad). also what is the best way to clean and sterilise bottles. the ones in the kit will be used for the first batch. we have been saving and rinsing commercial pop top bottles for a couple of months and we wish to use these for the second batch. any hints would be appreciated. Cheers

There really are quite alot of topics that cover this.. but here we go.

1: Soak bottles in unscented nappisan or similar

2: Bottle brush with the handle cut off fits into a cordless drill

2: Always rinse bottles after use and drain. If you havnt got one, get a Bottle tree, these make life easy, also a squirty tub that fits onto the top of the tree...

squirty.th.jpg]squirty[/url]

3: Using squirty tub, prior to use, No Rinse Sanitiser like STARSAN or iodophor (I use Starsan)

Primarily, these days I only have to rinse after use and then Starsan before use, if the bottles are collected and havnt had the full treatment then I do all of the above.

If they ever get around to improving the search feature on this site it will save people having to repeat themselves. Especially just after Xmas when there is always a large number of new brewers.

This is not directed at you Daniel but welcome to the forum and be sure to read what Yob said. I even learnt something new.... i.e. the tip about the bottle brush in the drill, I never thought of that!!.... hrrrmmm I guess it could be because I don't use bottle brushes [ninja]

So, for all of us new guys who just got our kit, what Recipe/Beer would you more experienced homebrewers recommend for some of our first brews? Something easy and tasty, without the need to do anything too intricate like lagering, dry-hopping, etc.

Dry Hopping isn't hard. Just grab some hops and throw into the FV isn't hard. No need to boil them and can just chuck them in as they are.

I would recommend not doing any Lagers until you can do an Ale and if you don't have good temp control then don't even bother imo. Lagers are more complex than an Ale.

The following recipes on this site are easy and I liked them all...

Irish Ale

Unreal Ale

CPA

ESB

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Coopers Dark Ale

They are just to name a few recipes on this site.

I personally like the following cans:

Draught

Canadian Blonde

Australian Pale Ale

Mexican Cerveza

Sparkling Ale

imo all the above cans provide a great base to work with.

I do like other cans as well but these days I look to improve things so include extras in the brews like hops, grain and different adjuncts etc.

if you havnt yet... get some hops (galaxy or citra for an APA) and just throw 25g into a brew you have done before... hopefully have one left of to do a side by side comparison.

be sure to have someone take a photo of your face when you drink it and post it here.. [lol]

Have I said how much I love hops previously? Probably not so here goes

I FREAKIN LOVE HOPS!!!!

Yob

ummm yep, dead serious [biggrin] . I have a you beaut Cappuccino maker at home and when I froth the milk, around 70C is best for Coffees, I slip in 2 or 3 pellets of hops and let it sit for a minute or 2. [love]

I have only tried Amarillo, Centennial and Cascade so far and been meaning to try EKG, Challenger and Fuggles. I also have POR but doubt that will be very nice though.

I am trying that tomorrow Bill. What is your best coffee hop so far?

I didn't get a DIY kit for Christmas but I will comment in this thread anyway.

I got one just before Christmas and it is awesome. I've had my first brew in it going for about a week now and I love how you can see through it.

My old FV was opaque so I could really only see through the glad wrap lid.

Plus it looks pretty cool. Makes me feel trendy now I am on the DIY FV bandwagon.

Hey I'm Nev from The Latrobe Valley ( an hour east of Melbourne Vic)

I didn't get a kit for Christmas either (after many hints)

I did however receive almost enough money to buy one as I did today

Thought I would check here to make sure I know what I'm doing

I recently had a lengthy conversation with a fellow I TenPin bowl with who brews a lot of spirits and top shelf stuff.

SWSBO wanted me to go straight into spirits but I asume you need a still which is out of the budget at the moment

My Bowling friend gave me the head up on temperature control and suggested and old fridge with a halogen light in it attached to a temperature controller to keep it at the right temp.

Reading here and this time of the year its more keeping it cool is the problem??

I have acquired an old fridge (not sure if it works yet to pick it up) and bought one of these even tho I'm yet to see if will do the job (specs say it can be use for heating and cooling at the same time ( two relay outputs))

One question

I'm sure we all have additives like fluoride and chlorine in our tap water is this a problem

Tap water is generally fine for brewing Nev - Rule of thumb is if you can drink it from the tap you can brew with from the tap.

Also, for legal reasons I assume you mean SWMBO wants you to go straight into water filtering [innocent] ....it is illegal to make spirits in Oz [rightful]

I am trying that tomorrow Bill. What is your best coffee hop so far?

Don't worry Bill. I tried it yesterday with Amarillo and wasn't sold.

There is just something about it; it isn't disgusting but it just seems wrong.

Like hooking up with your hot mother-in-law. She may be hot but it is just wrong!

Or is it? [innocent]

No worries Bill, most people ignore my posts (with good reason).

I have a coffee machine so I heated/frothed the milk, added a couple of pellets and gave it a stir (probably the mistake).

There was some hop matter in the coffee which probably didn't help.

I think it needed about 8 weeks in the cup to mellow a bit [biggrin]

This espresso talk is concerning. But as usual, in time, i will give it a go.

I finally put a Lager on last night with S-23 yeast (attempting Lawnmower Lager). Had trouble getting the temp down. It was 24C over night and 22C now (from 2pm). I had (and still have) it in a bucket of cold water with a cold/wet towel around it and ice blocks strapped to it. Clearly the fridge is the only way for me to go. I will be collecting from sydney within the week, ready for my next brew.

However, I did come up with the idea of floating the ice bricks (inside sterilised snaplock bags) inside the brew while filling it up with water. anyone have thoughts as to why this wouldn't work?

I'm thinking of my next brew - cerveza or pale ale. Considering it will be 4 weeks away from drinking, i'm not sure summer is going to hang around long this year (in Canberra). So I'm leaning toward the pale ale.

Q: Are there any suggestions (simple) that could take my pale ale from very likeable to something great? Bear in mind, my beginner status and my love for belgian beer.

Looking forward to suggestions and hoping my Lager doesn't taste like bottled urine.

Just reading some other threads and wondering what 'pitching' means in regards to the yeast?

is it just the temp at which you sprinkle the yeast?

also, know that the brew bucket is the FV now. Confusion solved.

thanks

Pitching means throwing the yeast in... i.e. to pitch the yeast [rightful]

Archived