Coopers Community

A serious crack at home brewing + a lot of stuff about kegs (page 4)

AndyG4

No problems Andy.

My best advice for you is just to relax and stop worrying. Brewing is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.

You will end up worrying about all the small things and 99% of the time the beer works out fine. It is fairly forgiving.

I've made plenty of mistakes in the past and all has been fine. In fact I had a stuff with my current batch when rehydrating the yeast but all appears fine now.

I hope your next brew is less stressful.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thought i'd update this thread - i managed to wait til it had been in the bottle for 22 days before i tried one.

it's... well, it's about what i expected for a first brew just using what was in the kit, plus a hop tea bag and some safale 04 yeast. it's an easy to drink, bordering on boring brew, with no head retention.

but hey, it's drinkable, which is all i need from my first brew.

after a lot of research, i've already corrected a lot of what i need to in order to make more full flavoured beer. i've used a DME and more hops in my APA that's now in the bottle, and I have an amber liquid malt as well as some dry malt and a hop selection to use for bitterness, flavour and aroma that will go in this weekend's draught.

thanks again for all the help - to be honest, i'll never ever make the Cooper's lager kit again, nor any other lager kit in all likelihood. even with the temperature control issues that i had, this just tastes how it tastes - i don't think it could've been any better. it's all about full flavoured ales, possibly going into porters from here.

apart from the Cerveza kit that i already have. even that will be malted to the hilt and have plenty of honey and hops included i think.

to be honest' date=' i'll never ever make the Cooper's lager kit again[/quote']

Don't write it off completely. I hadn't brewed it since my very first brew but I got one recently when I bought the DIY kit.

I had been doing lots of full extract brews so I wanted a 'quickie' to put down. I did the following:

1.7kg Coopers Lager

500g LDM

500g Dry Wheat Malt

200g Carabelge grains

20g Galaxy (steeped)

15g Galaxy (Dry Hopped)

US05 yeast

22 litres

It ended up a nice summer drinking beer.

But its good to see you trying different ingredients. Your 'to brew' list will just keep getting longer now.

to be honest' date=' i'll never ever make the Cooper's lager kit again[/quote']

Don't write it off completely.

+1 for Hairy.

My original kit was quite pleasant after 6 weeks, fermentation temp was 16 to 18'C (September in Tas).

I too used the Lager kit again

With:

1kg LME

250g DME

250g Dex

250g Medium Crystal

25g Nelson @ 8mins

15g Amarillo @ 5 mins

Kit yeast pitched at 22'C and fermented at 18'C, OG 1.047, FG 1.009.

This brew is just over ten weeks in the bottle and it is excellent, I had two last night after sampling a Wizard Smith, the Nelson Amarillo blew its socks off [love] . The Nelson dominates the Amarillo and there are some very nice caramel tones.

I think the Lager kit makes a good base and I will use it again, perhaps for a Golden as my last is too much like a Sparkling. Paul commented in one of his posts that the Lager kit is Coopers #1 seller. More subjectivity [biggrin] I guess.

very, very easy to get carried away ie. addicted to home brewing, isn't it?

i've tried one of those lagers, I also tried one of my APAs this afternoon, only because i wanted to see whether this one was underflavoured too.

after getting the fridge and temperature controller, i kept finding other things to spend money on - especially when there are no PET bottles in Canberra at the moment and I'm too lazy to collect glass bottles. (the SWMBO who I... ahem "parted ways with" 2 months ago would be thrilled to learn that I spend more money on the hobby that replaced her than I ever did on her :P )

a couple of hundred dollars later and I have bottles, a bottle tree, and my ingredients for the next three brews. having tried one of each of my brews.

yep, i might have a problem.

for the record, i had to spend the money, despite already having some cans lying around, because i found a honey porter recipe that i really wanted to make, and it kind of needs to be next because I want it for winter.

so, that's a lager and an APA made, a really dark draught in the fermenter, and a honey porter, Cascade Pale Ale clone (using Black Rock IPA) and a Cerveza (that someone gave me because they wanted to try it - bad luck :P) that will all have the ingredients ready to go next week. i'm going to need another fermenter :P

the good news is that i have a cupboard full of sugars, a fridge with a couple of different yeasts and a freezer full of hops. I don't think i'll be able to spend any more money on this for at least 2 more months. (further good news is that i'm not going to have any trouble finding people to help me drink it)

I absolutely understand people referring to this as an addiction rather than a hobby, because this has gotten ridiculous very quickly [innocent]

SWMBO and I agreed that it should cost less that it would have been to buy it (ie my beer for the week), so I get $160 a month, for ingredients, equipment, everything...

I think I managed to stick to it this month... [lol] probably the only month that I have [lol] but thats only coz my car blew up on the way to pick up my grain today... if I had of made it to the shop it would have been a different story [ninja]

Yob

Welcome to the addiction![biggrin]

I spend around $100 at my online supplier (hops, grains, & malt) and usually buy four cans of Cooper's from the grocery store ($65) a month. So Yob and I are around the same mark.[cool] This is a huge saving in conparison to buy from the beer store. this figure would be around $300/month![surprised [sad] [sideways] [crying]

i think so far i've spent in the order of $5-600 bucks setting up and buying supplies (including the kit, temp controller, bottle tree etc) - but that will have made me 6 batches when all is said and done, it's got me a good supply of bottles and it's got the fridge set up. there's literally nothing else i can spend money on for the next couple of months, i have everything for my next 3 brews (once i collect a few more bottles), and from there it should only cost me what i need for each batch. so hopefully under 40 bucks a fortnight. much cheaper than buying beeer.

that is, of course, until such time as i want to start doing partial mashing and kegging... [devil]

just as well my housemate is a subservient loser who doesn't seem to care that i've taken over most of the kitchen pantry and laundry :P

A: there's literally nothing else i can spend money on for the next couple of months

B: my housemate is a subservient loser who doesn't seem to care that i've taken over most of the kitchen pantry and laundry :P

Good luck with A:[lol]

B: awesome, all you need to do is get said housemate to do the cleaning up in lieu of the beer he/she will drink [lol]

Yob

A: there's literally nothing else i can spend money on for the next couple of months

B: my housemate is a subservient loser who doesn't seem to care that i've taken over most of the kitchen pantry and laundry :P

Good luck with A:[lol]

B: awesome, all you need to do is get said housemate to do the cleaning up in lieu of the beer he/she will drink [lol]

Yob

On point B - already taken care of. the chump has spent a good half an hour today trying to scrub all the hop debris off my saucepan [lol]

Can you guys expand on your recipees a little more?

I'm looking to graduate beyond cans and adding hops - Adding grains sounds like a logical next step. What are you kids (Nelson/Hairy) doing exactly with these brews?

Can you guys expand on your recipees a little more?

I'm looking to graduate beyond cans and adding hops... grains sounds like a logical step...

Chris

This particular recipe was my first attempt at using grains, given the success there is no turning back. Here goes the method from my notes:

Joe White Crystal Grain 120 ebc, placed between grease proof paper and cracked with a rolling pin. Grains steeped in 1 litre of water on electric hot plate at 65 - 70'C for 30 minutes(Stir liquid as grains are added to avoid clumping). Strained grains into larger pot and rinsed grains with another litre of 65'C water.Added 100 g of Dry Malt Extract to large pot and brought to the boil. Added 25g of Nelson Savin hop pellets to the pot and set timer to 8 minutes, at 5 minutes added 25g Amarillo hop pellets. At zero minutes removed from heat and cooled to around 80'C. Added dry ingredients to FV and strained grain and hop mix into FV. Swirled FV to mix and added Light Malt Extract and Lager Kit.Topped up FV as per kit instructions, pitched yeast at 22'C.

OG 1.047

FG 1.009

Now I am thirsty, but I am intent on leaving this brew for another 11 days when it reaches the magical 3 month bottled age.

I suggest to bring the water to the required strike temperature then add the grain, lag the pot and turn off the heat/plate. I would not be heating the pot with the grains in there. However, if it is neccessary to do so then give it a gentle stir while applying the heat. Although you should be able to maintain correct temps within a degree difference for half hour.

if it is neccessary to do so then give it a gentle stir while applying the heat. Although you should be able to maintain correct temps within a degree difference for half hour.

The instructions I found suggested stirring the grains in as they are added to prevent clumping. During this first attempt I stirred them for the entire 30 minutes, with heat on and off to maintain 65 - 70'C, and it worked well. Perhaps its OCD [unsure] but I have continued with this method.

if it is neccessary to do so then give it a gentle stir while applying the heat. Although you should be able to maintain correct temps within a degree difference for half hour.

The instructions I found suggested stirring the grains in as they are added to prevent clumping. During this first attempt I stirred them for the entire 30 minutes, with heat on and off to maintain 65 - 70'C, and it worked well. Perhaps its OCD [unsure] but I have continued with this method.

Yeah mate, that'll be ok. I did say when applying the heat then stir which you have indicated you were doing. However, it is easier and time saving by lagging and leaving it for 30 minutes as dropping only 1 or so degree isn't really going to affect the outcome.

When adding the grain it is advisable to rain it in whilst stirring to prevent dough balls. However, this is more prudent in an AG mash but can still happen just as easily whilst steeping.

I said never

I NEVER made such foolish promises to myself or to SWMBO... and now I have a 3V, 3 fridges, 2 kegs, a shed, and a garage full of delicious brews [lol]

I never make promises that I know I cant keep [roll] [lol] [rightful]

... and to be fair, SWMBO got me the third fridge and wants me to go Micro Brewery [ninja]

Aaaaah, she's a good un [love]

I said never

I NEVER made such foolish promises to myself or to SWMBO... and now I have a 3V, 3 fridges, 2 kegs, a shed, and a garage full of delicious brews [lol]

I never make promises that I know I cant keep [roll] [lol] [rightful]

... and to be fair, SWMBO got me the third fridge and wants me to go Micro Brewery [ninja]

Aaaaah, she's a good un [love]

mmm she sounds like a keeper for sure that one. Hold on to her as they are few and far between.

....and yes, it's a slippery slope from here. I have 11 kegs atm and am looking for some more cheap ones. Waiting for Ross to bring back his 4 for $240 delivered and his Deal Of The Month (DOTM) seems to be now Deal Of The Quarter!

[ I have 11 kegs atm and am looking for some more cheap ones. Waiting for Ross to bring back his 4 for $240 delivered and his Deal Of The Month (DOTM) seems to be now Deal Of The Quarter!

Aha Bill

You pre-empted my next question i.e. Where do you buy your kegs.

I see that Craft Brewer have stopped one deal due to a world wide shortage of Kegs. I have checked out Keg2, Brew Craft, Grain & Grape and Beer Belly; all much for muchness although Keg2 are offering a reasonable 2 keg deal atm.

Hesitant at first to buy second hand but common sense dictates this is teh way to go. Have you ever got one that you weren't satisfied with?

[ I have 11 kegs atm and am looking for some more cheap ones. Waiting for Ross to bring back his 4 for $240 delivered and his Deal Of The Month (DOTM) seems to be now Deal Of The Quarter!

Aha Bill

You pre-empted my next question i.e. Where do you buy your kegs.

I see that Craft Brewer have stopped one deal due to a world wide shortage of Kegs. I have checked out Keg2, Brew Craft, Grain & Grape and Beer Belly; all much for muchness although Keg2 are offering a reasonable 2 keg deal atm.

Hesitant at first to buy second hand but common sense dictates this is teh way to go. Have you ever got one that you weren't satisfied with?

Unfortunately down here Scott, we don't have the luxury of cheap post or just drive down the street for a cheap deal, when it comes to kegs. You will be really lucky to get kegs cheaper than $60 each delivered to your door. There are other places that sell kegs cheap too though but you need to pay through the nose for the postage charges. MyBeerShop is another to watch. They have kegs but I don't like the PRVs. However, you can buy cheap Lids from them which are an easy and cheap replacement. I have a few of these lids and haven't had any problems with them at all. BBY in Moonah have kegs but they want about $85 or $90 each for them and I don't think THBS in town sell secondhand cornys.

When you are closer to purchasing kegs, let me know. Maybe we can organise something together for a cheaper postage rate.

Edit: I just found site that has them for $40 but they are American. However, with the AUD up at the moment and looking to go higher, it may work out a good deal although I haven't fully investigated them yet but will do [cool]

[When you are closer to purchasing kegs, let me know. Maybe we can organise something together for a cheaper postage rate.

With three tin lids back to school next week, I'll will be waiting until the 2nd week in March [pinched]

Apologies to the OP, but this is important and relevant to the tangent that Bill and I ventured on. Just opened one of my Nelson Amarillo long necks and it was flat. SWMBO asked what I did wrong. I blamed the twist top but said I couldn't tip it out. Youngest son volunteered and I ventured to the garage for another.

Flat as a tack [annoyed] [pinched] . What to do? Well the kids Soda Stream made it drinkable [innocent] . I must have forgot the priming sugar, I bottle in 1/2 dozens so I'm betting there are at least four more [crying] . Anyway to cut to the chase an early switch than planned to Kegs is on the cards, this is a nice drop [biggrin] but flat [unsure].

Once you have kegs mate there is no looking back. I now do 26L brews which gives me enough for a 19L corny and about 8 bottles. Although not a lot, I am starting to get a nice little supply of full bottles that I just leave for months which give them a nice time to mature.

Re. kegs, you will love the idea of being able to have beer on tap literally a couple of hours after it has finished fermenting [love] However, it will cost a little to setup but when done you will love it.

You are going to need:

1/ A fridge or chesty. I suggest a chesty. Start looking on gumtree, ebay, flea market now for a cheap/free one imo.

2/ Another temp controller. STC-1000 I suggest.

3/ Taps to dispense the beer. Start with one and add as you need. Which will keep costs down so more attractive to SWMBO.

4/ Beer/gas lines. I have a heap of 5mm and 6mm which I paid in bulk. If you only want a little then I'll give it or if you more then $1 per metre which is what I paid.

5/ I recommend getting a check valve or NRV.

6/ Gas bottle and gas of course.

7/ Beer and Gas Disconnects. 1 each per tap.

8/ Gas Regulator

9/ Depending how many kegs you want on tap then you will need a gas manifold or gas splitters to distribute the gas from reg to kegs.

Later on it is nice to have a CPBF to fill bottles from kegs whenever you want.

When you are ready then give me a yell as I will give you some nice cheap places to source these things from.

I should be able to dig out a few things I have spare you can have cheap if interested as well. Not much but a couple of things but I'll need to go hunting downstairs.

Let me know if you need any help setting things up.

I will send you an email with my details so you can contact me when you are ready. Obviously I am not going to give my details online [rightful]

Cheers

However' date=' it will cost a little to setup but when done you will love it. [/quote']

Yeah this is becoming apparent.

You are going to need:

1/ A fridge or chesty. I suggest a chesty. Start looking on gumtree, ebay, flea market now for a cheap/free one imo.

[lol] , this is the reason I decided to try kegging. I am storing my bottles in a spare room at room temperature and started looking at a storage fridge. SWMBO has a nice chest freezer in the back shed which would be better, then it occurred to me that it looks about the right size for 1/2 dozen 19l kegs. She needs an upgrade (or downgrade) to a smaller uint.

3/ Taps to dispense the beer. Start with one and add as you need. Which will keep costs down so more attractive to SWMBO.

You know I want one of those kegerators that I can integrate into a home brew/bar setup, but since mentioning it I have accumulated a long honey do list that needs to be accomplished first, so a cheap gun to start off with and a couple of kegs (its a thirsty looking list [innocent] )in an upright fridge, which I can convert later to a brew fridge. At first I plan to alternate between bottling and kegging, going for 3.6 to 4.2% into Kegs and everything else into bottles.

When you are ready then give me a yell as I will give you some nice cheap places to source these things from.

I should be able to dig out a few things I have spare you can have cheap if interested as well. Not much but a couple of things but I'll need to go hunting downstairs.

Let me know if you need any help setting things up.

I will send you an email with my details so you can contact me when you are ready. Obviously I am not going to give my details online [rightful]

Cheers

Thanks

Archived