Coopers Community

Dilution

DannyP

Hi all, I am new to brewing. I recently put down a variation on a scotch ale, 9 litre wort using crystal malt, cara pils and light malt extract. I put the wort in 2 x gallon jars but under estimated my first jar and had to top it up with about a litre of water. This jar stopped fermenting after a couple of days, while the 2nd jar is still producing gas in it's second week (mind you, the 2nd jar took the dregs of the wort). My question: has it stopped fermenting due to the heavy dilution?

heavy sigh.. Have you taken an SG reading?

It seems quite likely that a more diluted wort will finish quicker..

gallons and liters in the one breath? lordy.. so it was diluted 1/6?

Just blend the two at the end when you bottle and it will all be sweet.

I agree with Yob - have you taken a SG reading?... if not then HEAVY SIGH!!!.... now you ask us if your brew has stopped fermenting. Well, there is no sure way to tell unless you take gravity readings regardless of an experiment or not.

So... to answer Yob's question to help you, did you take a reading?

Heavy sigh. I didn't ask if it has stopped fermenting, it has. I know this because I took a gravity reading. I simply asked whether fermentation had stopped early due to the dilution of unit 1 (1st gallon). I am new to brewing, but I did not go into it lightly, I researched so I would have some idea before I started. My first brew, a porter, made from grain and unflavoured extract, using the same method, came out very nice as did the barley wine (same method), I had an idea the dilution was the cause, but was looking for someone to elaborate further. Instead i've been met with discouraging comments which have made me not want to ask for advice again. Thanks anyway. Danny

Sigh.

If you ask such a diluted question, you should expect a watered down response. . .[annoyed]

You made no mention of taking a gravity reading, even after the first response, so it was only natural for people to keep asking. . . [roll]

I've no idea how many litres are in a gallon but I wouldn't think the dilution would have caused your lack of fermentation.

Don't be discouraged from asking for advice Danny but do take the time to read peoples posts and answer the questions posed by those trying to help you. So lets lighten up a bit [biggrin]

My question: has it stopped fermenting due to the heavy dilution?

Well, you did in fact ask if your beer had stopped fermenting!

Above is a quote from your OT. If we took it the wrong way then that is not our intention. We only answered your question as we saw it and only to help you. Maybe next time be a bit more specific yeah??

You made no response about your readings, even when Yob had asked you still failed to reply appropriately to him.

Nevertheless, no hard feelings and I really do hope we see you around here as often as possible. We only try to help, please don't take it to heart.

Yes, dilution will reduce the OG.

Typically, brews with a lower OG take less time to ferment. For example; our commercial Pale Ale (OG around 1036) is fermented by about 4 days while the Sparkling Ale (OG around 1047) takes at least 5 days.

I've no idea how many litres are in a gallon

Depends on where he is, or the container is from, the brittish Gallon differs from the US gallon which differs again from a dry gallon, WIKI

that isnt the issue though, Danny, we are all pretty helpful given the information, I think you will find that with the info from the OP I tried to help not make life harder, you say you did take a reading but did not elaborate as to what the OG's and FG's were.. Sorry If we came off blunt but generally more info was needed and you did in fact get the correct answe in my firs post.

I'd still like to know what the OG's and FG's were!!!

[kissing]

If you don't want to answer a guys question then DON'T! These heavy sighs seem to me to be rude if not condescending. Some times I might ask some questions that may have to be repeated and I hope to hell that you guys don't act so roughly with me.[alien]

+1 to Chad's comment.

I'm sure that it was originally meant to be light hearted but it is sometimes hard to determine the tone of a response when written.

Danny, don't be discouraged from asking questions or giving input on the forum. We are generally a pretty helpful bunch.

If you don't want to answer a guys question then DON'T! These heavy sighs seem to me to be rude if not condescending. Some times I might ask some questions that may have to be repeated and I hope to hell that you guys don't act so roughly with me.[alien]

Strewth!! Last time I checked a 'heavy sigh' wasnt offensive, IF you read my post I actually offered 1 suggestion and 1 explination.

I think you know I am generally quite helpful (or at least try to be) as are most of the other members here and always try to help a fellow brewer on the road... I stand by my comments and still want to know what the 2 OG's and the 2 FG's were.

[roll] [kissing] [cool] [love]

The questions asked were answered. However, when asked for more information, only to help provide a clearer and more accurate answer, offense is taken.

Hrrrmmm maybe we just shouldn't try to help with other people's problems at all. At least we won't be frowned upon and they can just flounder around doing whatever they want. After all, we don't really need to be here anyway.

Archived