Coopers Community

Crash Cooling vs Fermenter Settling

ChrisK

Hi Guys

I tend to brew ales using US-05 or liquid yeast at 18 degrees.

Sometimes I don't even bother taking OG or FG measurements, I just wait 14 days and then keg.

I'm trying to get clearer beer but filtering isn't something I'm interested in for the moment, so I'm looking for some advice on what method will give me the clearer beer.

I brew in a brew fridge but need to take the bottom FV out of the fridge to fill my kegs, so there's always going to be a little bit of agitation when I'm kegging.

So, my current theory is the second week in the FV is largely spent letting the yeast fall out of suspension. I'm reading more and more about crash cooling though and since I'm lucky enough to have a brew fridge I thought I might give it a go to compare it and it might even speed up my brew times, which is very important at this time of year.

Do you guys reckon I'd get similar or better results by waiting for fermentation to cease (obviously I'd have to take gravity readings) then dropping my brew fridge down to four degrees or so for a day (two days?) then kegging?

Should I combine both and spent the last one or two days of my 14 day ferment at 4 degrees?

Thanks for the wisdom, fellas.

Should I combine both and spent the last one or two days of my 14 day ferment at 4 degrees?

I would do this. Once you have reached FG, leave the FV at 18 degrees for another 3-4 days to allow the yeast to clean up a bit. Then CC for a couple of days.

Moving the FV out of the fridge won't stir up the trub if you do it gently.

I realise that you keg so it isn't as important as bottling, but you really should take an FG reading. Even if it is to make sure the yeast hasn't stalled and you have the beer you intended on brewing.

I'm trying to get clearer beer but filtering isn't something I'm interested in for the moment, so I'm looking for some advice on what method will give me the clearer beer.

I recently posted what I do and I get crystal clear beer without the need of filtering. Here goes again....

1/ Brew beer and leave for a few days for yeast to clean up.

2/ CC brew for a couple of days.

3/ Boil jug and place 100ml of the boiled water in pyrex jug... let cool to about 70C

4/ Disolve 1 teaspoon Gelatin

5/ throw mix in keg and rack beer onto it.

Easy peasy.

Just remember though if you move the keg then this will make it cloudy again. However, it will settle again within a few hours after.

Im also a BIG cold conditioner... same as Bill.. kind of... but without the gelatine... I cant come at putting hoof into my beer [rightful]

Brews finishes then + 3-4 days at raised temps to clean up... I usually try and CC from a sunday till the following friday at 2'c with a 1'c variable on the controller so that it is always below 4'c.. no need for clearing agents with this schedule IMO. (I bottle not Keg though)

If wanting to harvest the yeast early to re-use I will rack the beer to a secondary once the + 4 days for cleanup has been achieved and then Cold Condition the secondary and Harvest and clean the Yeast and then repitch the next day (Hopefully) This is a PITA though as it means I have to transfer again to bulk prime and while I have no reservations about my cold side sanitation it does mean extra cleaning and racking... when judged appropriate though it can be worth the effort to get at the viable yeast that early before they start to use up their reserves.[ninja] cant remember when I last used a fresh dry packet [lol]

Yob

Ooh I hadn't considered racking as part of my clearing routine. Would it be best to the racking pre crash cooling?

Yeah, I'm not interested in putting bits of animal into my beer.

Don't get me wrong, dead animal tastes great, but I'll filter before I start putting bits of hoof or fish in my brews.

If you are not harvesting the yeast or lagering for a long period then there is no reason to rack prior to crash chilling. Leaving the beer on the trub for a few days whilst cold chilling won't do any harm.

If you bulk prime then rack after cold chilling for the bulk priming.

Ooh I hadn't considered racking as part of my clearing routine. Would it be best to the racking pre crash cooling?

Yeah, I'm not interested in putting bits of animal into my beer.

Don't get me wrong, dead animal tastes great, but I'll filter before I start putting bits of hoof or fish in my brews.

You put Fungi in beer though and that is closely related to animals. Fungi and Animals both evolved from a choanoflagellate ancestor.

I used to say the same thing but now I swear by it.

Anyhow, the bottom line is, if you don't want to filter or use finings then you only have CC and time. Therefore just CC it for a few days when the brew is done then put it in your keg. A waste of time racking it if you are kegging imo.

Archived