Coopers Community

bad brew?

andrewf17

hi all,frosty here. have done a coopers heritage lager,an heritage lager with light malt extract,sparkling ale & an irish stout. when i use crown seal they go flatter than using vb/carlton draught twist top bottles.i use all the cleaning equipment to steralise bottles & brewing stuff,it tastes a bit funny & i spent 2 days in hospital with bad gastro,any tips? still not sure if its my beer. cheers.[crying]

Welcome Frosty!

i spent 2 days in hospital with bad gastro' date='any tips?[/quote']

I'm not a doctor but I guess you should make sure you have replaced lost fluid and electrolytes.

Sorry, just for clarification, are you asking whether the beer may have given you gastro or your gastro may have infected the beer?

Hi guys,

I'm in New Zealand.I have a European Lager thats been fermenting for 33 days now.After pitching i let it drop to 13c and then on tuesday this wk i lost patience,took it out of wraps & let it warm to rm temp,20-22.AND dammit it still wont STOP fermenting.

I also have a brew tec ginger beer that is doing the same after 22 days.It was pitched & held @ 21.YET i have made COOPERS "OLD SPICE" with elderflower twice,23ltrs @ 5.3% & 18 ltrs @7.7% and also a COOPERS draught with STINGING NETTLES(it "tingles"thelips just subtly) @ 5.6% while i have been patiently waiting on the other 2 brews.IS there possibly a "BUG" in my 2 slow brews???? [unsure]

Cheers Steersman.

So how do you know your brew is still fermenting at 33 days if you haven't taken a SG reading?

Surely you are not judging it by just looking at it [pinched]

I too do not take SG just for the hell of it. I take an OG reading and two readings when I think it has finished. imo you should take 3 readings as a minimal requirement and most of my brews this is all I have ever had to take.

... both brews are backing off to the other side of the airlock.

Therein lies a problem. Don't rely on the airlock [bandit]

Bill has given you some good advice. I take an OG reading & then take 2 readings after about 12-13 days in the fermenter. I then bottle on day 14.

I haven't got around to putting my airlock on eBay yet [cool] [biggrin]

Andrew, we know its bloody frosty,

But we don\u2019t know where your from

It appears he\u2019s got the sh*** from

All those crown seals he\u2019s put on.

Hairy\u2019s not a doctor

He\u2019s advice, just drink more beer

To replace those electrolytes

And give a little cheer

Paul in his wisdom said

It\u2019s something that you ate

Go discuss it with your doctor